How to Study.....

IB Killer Flamez

My mock exams are 1 month away and I am will start studying frmo tommarow. Any hints, tips, suggestions on how i can do so?

Hey, I would certainly suggest you to study from the Course Companion book or the summary book by Geoff Neuss. Those are, in my opinion, the most IB-like bibliography you can find. You should practice with some past papers too in order to know how the actual exam is like. If there are exercises you are troubled with, don't hesitate to post them here and we will help you solve them.

I wish you the best for your mocks.

Regards.

As Hedron said, psat papers (1+2+3) will certainly help whether you know the content or not. Sometimes IB words things differently than your teacher might have and also for paper2+3 the questions build on eachother so you can get used to the progressive question building thing they do. For paper 1 you'll be able to practice time, you have to do each question really quick and sometimes you end up with numbers in your question. This is when you need to possibly recognize other stuff and skip the numbers (sort of like entropy and enthalpy and delta G which im forgetting the name of, the signs of the numbers will answer most paper1 questions for you without even looking at the numbers).

• Like 1

Guest deathwish546

If you have access to the IB Chemistry Syllabus, that helps as well, go through each of the Topics that you have went through and see how many of the Assessment Statements you can answer, and if you can't answer it, then go through it again in the study guide or your notes, and doing past papers would definitely help a lot too.

Three months in, I finally figured out how to study for this course. I am more of a humanities type person, and taking HL Chem was a bad choice, but I understand so much more now. I started writing essays for Chemistry. I take my syllabus and write an essay for each topic with all of the necessary information from each objective and explanations for it all, using my notes from class and my book.

Works for me! Good luck!

Three months in, I finally figured out how to study for this course. I am more of a humanities type person, and taking HL Chem was a bad choice, but I understand so much more now. I started writing essays for Chemistry. I take my syllabus and write an essay for each topic with all of the necessary information from each objective and explanations for it all, using my notes from class and my book.

Works for me! Good luck!

This is also a great way to study because anything NOT on the objectives will NOT be on your exam so "answering" the objectives and maybe have your teacher look over them because if you write the stuff down wrong and then you study wrong info that's just a bad thing :) (we do this in bio, it's mandatory for us and it works GREAT)

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own notes from the notes I took down during class time along with important extracts from different textbooks. Oooo and also, those notes were all made under each heading in the syllabus. I then memorised the key points (this shouldn't be too difficult as writing notes out while concentrating helps the information to stick) and then do past exam questions.

Good luck studying!! 4 weeks should be plenty of time.

Apparently you don't have much time, so this is for everyone who is wondering the same thing. This is what I would do:

1)Go through the syllabus, point by point..and as boring as it seems, this is the right way.

2)If you have any points you don't understand, do not ignore them.

3)If you have question banks, after each chapter, check out the questions for that chapter and make sure you understand all of them.

4)Leave options till the end, as they may have nothing to do with the rest of the chapters, so they could easily be studied separately . Unless you did further organic option, then do the whole organic together.

5)After going through the syllabus, all you can do is do past papers..over and over and over..as much as you can, lol, seriously. Question do get repeated and it's a mock exam..chances are..your exam questions will be ones you have already done.

P.S: You could make a summary of each chapter for future reference and it will probably make it easier for you for the real exams.

• Like 1