Regarding IB Bio Exams

Guest deathwish546

Guest deathwish546

For all section B questions, it always says "Up to two additional marks are available for the construction of your answers." What does this mean? What exactly are they looking for in the "construction of your answers"? My teacher was incredibly ambiguous and confusing regarding this and I don't want to lose those 2 marks due to confusion.

Your answer makes chronological sense I'd assume. You talk about DNA replication, don't go through all of polymerase III and okazaki fragments, and then randomly switch to "oh yea, helicase break the hydrogen bonds holding the leading and lagging strands together". Happy grader=happy grading is what I interpret this too. Also if you're able to throw in some cool tidbits of information that aren't necessarily on the IB objectives/curriculum, but you know it anyway and it's relevant and it shows you have a deeper understanding of the content than what IB was even expecting :P

I just noticed you took your exams 6 months ago though, what is this for? o.O

Edited by Drake

Guest deathwish546

Ah, that makes sense, but what if it's a comparison type of question (e.g. Distinguish between prokaryotes/eukaryotes, Compare photosynthesis/cellular respiration) where usually I would just do a chart and compare the two using points, do I have to construct paragraph answers for them?

Oh, whoops, I didn't really pay attention when I set up info for this account ahaha, though I would've much rather had my exams done 6 months ago xP, mines are next year like yours :P

When you do use words, you'd want to write full sentences. But you can present your information in a chart. For these questions you'll want to explain in addition to having a chart [unless one part only asks you to draw and label or list characteristics or something]

Just to add to Drake, just make sure you cover your bases and answer each part of the question in a logical manner and be clear. Also, you won't get extra points for putting information not in the syllabus [like 99% of the time--sometimes we read the marksheet and it'd have something that wasn't explicitly in the syllabus, but most of the time, it won't be worth the time to write extra stuff when you could be working on another question/rechecking].

Edited by sweetnsimple786