Will this make a good design?

MyUsernamesWereTaken

I'm planning to "Investigate the effects of potassium permanganate in acidc, neutral and basic media".

I found some info about it on the net:

http://www.siraze.net/chemistry/sezennur/subjects/experiment/036.pdf

http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/mini-expl/index.html

When I look at the assessment criteria, however, it seems it will be a bit hard to "define a problem", as I'm merely investigating the effects.

Also, I'm unsure of how to collect "sufficient relevant data". It seems most of the observations in the experiment will be qualitative observations. I guess i could find a way to see if the pH changes in the solution, but then I would have to find a very accurate indicator. And even if I find one, the strongly acidic environment would probably be so strong (probably negative pH) that for it to change it would require relatively large amounts of some kind of basic product from the reaction in order for the environment to change noticeably.

I'm thinking of looking into some kind of "factors affecting _________" type of experiment instead...

I'm thinking of looking into some kind of "factors affecting _________" type of experiment instead...

Do that instead of something descriptive. Ideally, do it so you can phrase it "How does X affect Y". In IB science (at least physics & chem), you're aiming for something you can get numerical values for and do calculations with, and preferably check against some expected value (which may also have to be calculated). Something you can graph linearly is often good (admittedly more so in Physics).

Also, don't worry about making it too complex! You don't get more marks for it (unless it's extremely basic).