Portfolio Type II -- Modelling a Functional Building

karlp

Create an arc, draw a line beneath it, push-pull tool.

Hope that helps. -_-

EDIT: It's gonna be a pain to create a 3D model in Sketch-up for the second-to-last bullet. However, it's not impossible. But I suggest to create the cuboids first, and then fit them to the arc. Also, for the math on that same part, I highly recommend to use a height of 3 for each of your floors. You will thank me later. :)

Edited by qliphoth93

I am doing this for maths at the moment. I have found that to find the values for the equation, you have a simplified equation and input the value 36 because that is the height of the curve and therefore you can find K (when using Y=-kx^2+36). Use this to find out the x value through differentiation and volia :P

then you can find out the area and volume from there.

I found using a spreadsheet for point 3 works well and in point 4, I found each different height gave the same ratio of wasted space to volume of the office block. Point 5 I haven't worked out what to do with it yet but I have been suggested using levels? but it seems that is more likely for point 7. Point 6 is easy you just have to do points 1 and 2 again using the different values. Hope this helps

• Like 3

You can make it a half circle. If you look at your initial dimensions at minimum height, it's almost as if there were a radius.

However, I recommend against it, since it's going to make your life slightly harder if you choose to work with a half-circle later on throughout the process.

Then again, it's all open to interpretation. I saw some of my friends' IAs on the same topic, and we interpreted several parts of the prompt differently. :P

For point 2, find the derivative of your volume function, then set it to equal to zero and solve. Input the x value you get into your function...

Ta da! You the volume of the biggest possible cuboid! :sadnod:

how dare you use "ta dah" in relation to this piece of rubbish haha

By the way, just so you know, you can graph the hell out of this portfolio :sadnod: it helps :P

ALSO

Thank you guys :sadnod::P NIce to know that we are all on the right track HL MATHS FOR LIFE!!!

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No CAPS and no need for all those smiley's -Thanks

Hi

I'm also doing this portfolio. I have an issue with the assessment criteria, namely criterion C and D. In criterion C , to be award a level 5/5 it says :"The student applies the model to other situations". In criterion D, again to award full marks it says":The student has correctly and critically interpreted the reasonableness of the results of he model in the context of the task, to include possible limitations and modifications of the results, to the appropriate degree of accuracy".

I don't know how to do that in this task. Especially applying the model to other situations. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks :sadnod: