Portfolio Type II -- Modelling a Functional Building

karlp

For the second to last part, I suggest you make the inner structure that looks like the following...

multi-cuboid.jpg

In case you're wondering, you cannot use this image for your IA, since I took it straight out of mine. :)

However, you can make one like that yourself, using Google SketchUp or any other 3D modeling software.

dude!!! howd u do that?! Help me out here with this one give me like the first 2 steps or something plls wld help me alot.:)

I have a quick question... so I was given the portfolio, but out of laziness I'm just looking at this now.

The first points sounds reasonable enough:

general formula of a parabola in the form ax2 + bx + c. Since the height is 36 sub. that for c.

then with the axis of symmetry formula (assuming that the range being used is -36 and 36),

b turns out to be zero so the formula of the parabola is in the form y = ax2 + 36.

Why is everybody saying it is in the form of y = -ax2 + 36? this is really bugging me...

I am at a stage where I have to hand this in, in 5 days and cannot proceed without an answer.

any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. btw can you put in some advice as how to proceed? :)

Okay. so now that I have found the actual equation of the parabola i have to find the volume of the maximum cuboid that would fit into the building.

this is how i would proceed... use technology to find the maximum area of the rectangle that would fit into the parabola/curve shape. then find the volume of that

(just multiply by 150)??? right? O.o? then i experiment with different heights...

if my previous way of procedure is correct, then the ratio is just the same process except that I find the integrate the parabola - the x-axis; with upper limit 36 and lower limit 0,

multiply that answer by 150 and find the ratio of wasted space: office space??? right? all help and any TIPS I am EXTREMELY grateful for. :)

has anyone tried to approach the problem by using hyperbolic cosine functions? i.e. the Catenary Equations??? and use that instead of a quadratic?

My dad glanced at the problem while I was working and mentioned that architects use them... too bad he didn't elaborate. does anybody know the implications of using catenary equations?

and if the IB completely disregards them or if it is accepted?

To calculate maximum office floor area, do we take the thickness of the ceiling of each level into account? or just go with 2.5m per level? :/

Also, when we place the facade on a different side, does this mean the max height is now 50-75% of the longer side (150m)?

Hi everybody!

Just got the type II portfolio and I've come up with my first stupid question :P

When saying "create a model" in the very beginning, do they just want us to find an appropriate function for the arc of the curved roof structure, or do they require some kind of planar equation describing the entire roof structure?

P.S...if the second is the case, I'm already in trouble ;)

it says that "investigate how changes to the height of the structure affect the dimensions of cuboid" well, i found same width each time, only the height of the cuboid changed. (increased when the height of the roof increased) is this correct? and in the meanwhile, i really have no idea how to do the steps about office area and the last two bullets... i really need some help pleeease?

Hey, I got this portfolio on friday and I think I know where I'm going with it, but just a general question with regards to the assessment criteria: what sort of variables, parameters, and constraints should I define. By the parameters do they mean height,width, and length? I suppose the variable is therefore the height which is then constrained by the given restricitons, whereas the width and length are constant?

Thanks

YEah... youve got to form a general equation for the height of the cuboid ... when the structure of the roof changes ... take all heights between 36-54 and use excel or even your calculator.. But using excel is reallly helpful and fast and also covers use of technology!!