Lacking the creativity?

Mayy Lam

So, my Visual Arts teacher has gone down on my IB class a bit harder this year, since there's only four of us left and as a result I feel like my inspiration's just gone. She's really pushing the need for us to connect our work to the culture around us, and other external influences, and the focus on research instead of studio work is really affecting my marks. Does anyone else have issues like this, and what do you do about it?

we were four in my class aswell and on the contrary we felt better as our teacher had more time to expend on each of us... what we used to do was listening to music but, as we all liked different types of music each day one of us was responsible of it so one day we could be listening to mozart (because of our teacher) or coldplay or even metallica. it surely helps and a wide variaty could help you open your mind.

about the culture and external influences they are deffinitely necessary to refer to some in your WB if you want a good mark. in my opinion you should go to art museums, expos, galleries, etc. and investigate about differente artists, how they work the same theme as you, or anything related... for example my theme was the energy flow and the connection whithin all the living creatures but i investigated about land art, different artist that worked the global warming theme, the energy art movement, etc. while investigating you are surely going to find different artists form different parts of the world, make sure to make a brief analisis about their place of origin and how it affects their point of view etc.

if you're taking arts HL A then you REALLY should concentrate on your studio work but don't leave your WB to the last minute.

on the other hand, if you're taking option B then you're WB should be your top priority.

good luck with the course, it isn't as difficult as you think (: