relationships during the IB?

Access Denied

What about grades differences, then?

Say, would an IB second year student work well with a non-IB sophomore? The age gap is actually not a problem, the IB student skipped her 3rd grade and the non-IB student just started school late. But the fact is when there are only four years in high school, and she's in 12th grade and he's in 10th grade, it's a big difference.

Plus, there's the IB. While he knows the IB's difficult from all the things he's heard of it, he still doesn't understand.

Could these two ever work together?

I feel like since I'm in the IB I don't have any time for girls. During the week I go to school and do my homework (usually around 10 pm). On the weekend I usually go out on friday, get action CAS hours on saturdays and do my homework on sundays. So I feel like there is no way to have a girlfriend, unless she is in my class. Firstly, because its hard to find a girl with girlfriend potential anyways and IB just makes it even more difficult. Secondly, I wouldn't have time to meet her during the week and my weekends are also packed. on the other hand i think a girlfriend might take my mind off school and lessen the stress, which could also lead to better grades.

Anyone's opinions on the topic or anyone that manages getting good grades with a girlfriend please comment. Of course girls are also welcome to take part in the discussion.

I feel like since I'm in the IB I don't have any time for girls. During the week I go to school and do my homework (usually around 10 pm). On the weekend I usually go out on friday, get action CAS hours on saturdays and do my homework on sundays. So I feel like there is no way to have a girlfriend, unless she is in my class. Firstly, because its hard to find a girl with girlfriend potential anyways and IB just makes it even more difficult. Secondly, I wouldn't have time to meet her during the week and my weekends are also packed. on the other hand i think a girlfriend might take my mind off school and lessen the stress, which could also lead to better grades.

Anyone's opinions on the topic or anyone that manages getting good grades with a girlfriend please comment. Of course girls are also welcome to take part in the discussion.

Well having a girlfriend is not a must and even friends could lessen your stress but if this is your perspective, ;) ok then..

Suggestions below are based on the assumption that you have a crush in your class.

What do you do on saturdays? What kind of CAS activity? You can actually invite your female classmate to join this activity by telling her she would get CAS hours.. And you'll spend most of the time together and eventually get into a relationship.

Or if you have classes in common with her, you can actually do your HW together. Pretend to be smart by teaching her (but not doing the HW for her) and she'll fall for you.

You can always study together with her given that she is also studious and cares about her grades.

If you dont want to meet your girlfriend so often, get a girlfriend who is not living in your city? You can just videochat on Skype or talk on MSN or FB and it could take your mind off school and lessen the stress.

Or even a girl from a different country although you might face time difference problems..

If the above suggestions do not work... You still do have friends! :)

I am single and I realise that IB makes me very busy. Yet I have friends on IBS who can take my mind off school and lessen the stress, we often chat and we sometimes discuss classes.

This is beneficial because it's helpful but casual and sometimes they are so funny and it entertains me during my HW break (a.k.a. procrastination time) :)

Well unless if you were referring to the sex part.. I can't comment much on that but I think somebody mentioned that having sex excites them and makes them enjoy studying thus it leads to better grades. Balderdash but they had a point.

There were a couple in my class in IB1, who were incredibly "in love"

and what can I say, it ended badly, they broke up and both of them are now repeaing IB1.

Sooo if you are aiming for such high grades I advice you to at least take a break from your boyfriend for a while. It will be really hard to keep up with school work, social life, family, boyfriend, sleep; especially in IB2.

It's easy to get back together after just taking a break, but repairing something thats broken is harder.

Remember that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Sure, of course it's possible.

My boyfriend and I started dating in November of IB1 and we're still together now (both in 3rd year undergrad, so 4 years later). I got 42/45 and he got 39/45 in IB. Both our marks actually went up after we started dating because we helped each other through it.

You will have to sacrifice some things though, we went on dates only during school breaks or once a month max. But we also saw each other everyday at school so it was fine.

Edited by __inthemaking

I just got together with a guy last month. he's not in IB. he's doing ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants), but only part time, and he works fulll time as well

but his weekends are totally free. so far I've managed alright and I always find a way of meeting up or talking (even if sometimes it costs me HW)

but I've just finished IB1

and starting IB 2 in jan. I got a 3 in my Maths HL :P and I've still got around 65 CAS hours left :/

do you think it'll work out?? because most of your advice is for both students being in IB

Subjects

HL

bio

maths

english

SL

chemistry

physics

spanish ab initio

I just got together with a guy last month. he's not in IB. he's doing ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants), but only part time, and he works fulll time as well

but his weekends are totally free. so far I've managed alright and I always find a way of meeting up or talking (even if sometimes it costs me HW)

but I've just finished IB1

and starting IB 2 in jan. I got a 3 in my Maths HL :yawn: and I've still got around 65 CAS hours left :/

do you think it'll work out?? because most of your advice is for both students being in IB

Subjects

HL

bio

maths

english

SL

chemistry

physics

spanish ab initio

Yes it can work, well I think so, I've been with my boyfriend for five months, and about to start IB2. he is in university, and I'm in school and he works full time, it's hard but we see each other every week. I can see if we broke up it would not be good for me, however, I know him and think we won't. trust your instincts; if he is good for you then stay; if he is having a negative influenece, go. They have to understand the IB. Good luck :)

Hey, Im in a relationship and im just about to enter my last yr of IB, im aiming for a 43 and atm am sitting on a 39 comfortably. wondering if its possible for me to keep a relationship and do well, Also for comments on if relationships have survived, heartbreaks etc. during the IB.

I'm in the same boat with different subjects. I am aiming for 43. It makes me crazy in the mornings sometimes - waking up thinking of IB...

Yes, I have a boyfriend. The only reason that it works is because he is doing IB too and even though we do go out. We know that most of the time 5 hours work after school in separate rooms has to be done. Usually I shag him when we've both been good, it works better than gold stars.

I tried a non IB er and he always complained I wasn't seeing him enough.. that seems to be the problem with most of my friends if they have someone normal as a partner.

Unless they want to fail IB they can't...

Finally, it wouldn't be possible without the full support of my parents and his.

I had a girlfriend throughout IB and ended up with a 44. It's definitely possible to maintain a healthy relationship during IB. There's no point in avoiding relationships just because of IB. Depending on which university you end up going to, it's very likely that your workload will increase. So what then, avoid relationships until you finish university?

Of course, some sacrifices will have to be made, as in sometimes you'll have to see your significant other less times than you're used to. Just make sure he/she understands this.

Of course, some sacrifices will have to be made, as in sometimes you'll have to see your significant other less times than you're used to. Just make sure he/she understands this.

That is the problem, most people do not understand this or understand it, but are not willing to accept it. Alternatively some people are not disciplined enough or fall madly in love and screw things up that way. I'd go for someone in IB at least.

x

*gets back to work*

• 2 weeks later...

All relationships have hindering factors but if both parties are willing to give a little here and there anything is possible. IB relationships are like maybe extreme relationships, most sure why but they can be. Most IBers I know are in a relationship with a fellow IBer which helps them because they are both going through the same dilemmas etc.

Im not saying to limit yourself to a relationship with an Iber.

Just find someone who is understanding of the program and is willing to be there regardless.

Edited by Jazmine

Well, I know from experience that having a boyfriend in IB can be a plus, because you have someone to vent to who knows exactly what you're going through, since you share the same classes, and have the same level of stress. I agree, it's easier to plan things, because your significant other is completely aware that you have a limited amount of time to hang out, due to the mass of homework you have. Also, you're both in IB. Thus, you most likely have similar goals (university, grades, etc), and you'll probably end up with someone as motivated to do well as you are, so that adds to your compatibility. So far, the couples I know that are half IB and half non usually end with the non-IB student unhappy that their significant other never has time for them, and they complain about it. My boy friend is also in IB, and I know that his presence on the phone at 2AM while we both frantically write the same essay is a great comfort. It all depends on the situation: is your sig. other willing to accept that you've already sold your soul to a program?

If you're both in IB, then why not?

The only problem is if one is a procrastinator and the other gets stuff done early, the latter will be pretty bored when the other is doing overdue work. But it can work inversely too, the procrastinator may lose the habit of procrastination by dating someone who gets stuff done early.

• 1 month later...

So there are a lot of people who think that they can't have a life with IB. That's partly true. It's hard to be in IB and have a relationship with someone. It's a little easier when you date someone who's in IB also but outsiders don't understand. So here's the topic, does anyone out there think I'm wrong???

Give me your thoughts and opinions. HAters can stay home thanx.

I agree with the IB Gawd on this. Outsiders do not understand this. They think it is impossible to do. It really isn't. To answer the original question asked, it is very possible to have a relationship and maintain the best grades possible. It is just a matter of how well you can balance both. I also agree that it is easier to date a fellow IBer because they understand more than the "regular" student would.

I agree with the IB Gawd on this. Outsiders do not understand this. They think it is impossible to do. It really isn't. To answer the original question asked, it is very possible to have a relationship and maintain the best grades possible. It is just a matter of how well you can balance both. I also agree that it is easier to date a fellow IBer because they understand more than the "regular" student would.

I completely agree!!!

My boyfriend just proposed!! and I'm predicted 44 points now based on my set of exams :):(

• Like 1

I generally think it would work better if both in the couple were IB students, which would be risky in normal school- I would be catious to date with a person from the same class, in case of possible split-u it would not be nice, but in IB no one would give a damn if such thing happened- everyone's too busy with their own IA's and mocks :(

I have a bf who is not IB, and he's 3rd year uni student, and I find it extremely difficult to keep the school on track and meet with him, and we suffer alot because of this. he's a student so he's got loads of free time, and he is understanding and symphatethic but even though it is very difficult, not to mention keeping in touch with family and friends.

theoretically I would agree it's all about balancing stuff that IB is boasting about, but to be frank- do you really have time for anything else but school when mock and IA's period arrives.? I do not think so.

but good luck to all of us tho.!

Working through IB is hard enough, but if you add a boyfriend to the mix, it gets even tougher.

However, my situation is a little different. My boyfriend lives about 3 1/2 hours away from me and visits whenever he can. (Usually once or twice a month on average)

With that being said, yes it is easy to keep a balance if you focus on your schoolwork when you're not with him and plan projects and such according to his visit.

If you know that you have a paper due monday and he is coming over saturday, you write AT LEAST half of the paper on friday night and finish it sunday, unless you're able to do the whole thing on friday. or vice versa.

To say that the outsiders dont get it can be true but that doesn't include ALL outsiders. There are some that, if you show them the kind of work you deal with on a daily basis, will understand and even try to help (which is sometimes hilarious). They're human too, they understand stress just as well as anyone. It all comes down to the individual you find and what they're willing to deal with.

So, in midst of my rambling, yes, you can have a relationship and still have good grades. :(

Doesn't matter if they're in IB or not, it's all about time management.

Good luck to all you!

Edited by misfit