Is this topic good?

turo1002

So how can I formulate it differently? i wanna write something about barbarossa and the weather

I think your topic is not that valuable (I think). When looking for sources about weather and Operation Barbarossa you may have a hard time, and believe me History IA´s are the ones that make students suffer the most. I don´t want to tear out your topic nor freak you out, but its kind of simple and the IB wants more thorough and concise investigations, where differing views of historians can be appreciated. Talk to your teacher that sure knows more than me! GOOD LUCK! :D

In my own opinion I must disagree with lynyrd on the idea that you would be unable to write you IA on this topic. The weather had a huge impact on the outcome of Operation Barbarossa. Many historians believe that if the Third Reich had waited until spring to invade the USSR they would have conquered the USSR with ease. However, the Nazis' did not factor in the weather of the USSR winter. The weather prevented the Nazis' from being able to receive supplies and reinforcements. Also, many soldiers died to their unpreparedness for the harsh minter in the USSR. The evidence to support the claim that the Nazis'' had a superior army in in the early battles of the invasion and how they easily conquered much of the USSR. I believe in my own opinion that this is a good topic and there is a lot of resources on this topic. Also, the topic is unique.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The question you should ask yourself is.. how did the weather NOT affect Operation Barbarossa? Like posters have mentioned, the winter in Russia was one of (if not the most) important cause of Germany's failure.

Now.. could you argue that weather didn't affect Operation Barbarossa? If the answer's no, then your topic isn't arguable, and thus not fit for an IA.

Just got that lecture from my teacher today - hope it helps you! :P

Sounds reasonable to me, you can argue two sides, there's evidence for both sides, you might want to restrict the time period during which the US provoked the attack. Something like ".......provoked by the US-Government during the preceding 10 years". Otherwise your teacher could argue that you could pull up history from 100s of years ago and say the Japanese just had a 500 year old grudge or something :P