On IB Moderation

Daedalus

No, because IAs are already moderated so you can't ask for a re-mark. Depending on the size of your class either all of the IAs or a selection of them (usually representative - high, middling and low marks) will be sent to the IBO for moderation. Moderators there see if they agree with your teacher's marking and if they feel it's too harsh everybody's marks will go up, and if they feel it's too kind then everybody's marks will go down. Including the people whose coursework wasn't sent for moderation. The selection of whose work to send off for moderation is random.

You also can't re-do the IAs, only re-sit your exams - which is annoying for people who miss out on grades because of IAs instead of examination papers.

Ouch, that seems harsh and pretty much absurd as well, at least the retake part.

I know about the whole moderation process, but I don't really understand why, if you think your IA was wrongly marked by your teacher, you are not allowed to ask the IB to reassess it. I mean, suppose your teacher really dislikes you, gives you a grade that is lower than what is fair, and then your IA is not sent out for moderation. Then say you are downgraded as well, since the teacher has been too lenient with other students in your class whose IAs have been sent for moderation. At this point you are getting downgraded twice unfairly, first by your teacher, and subsequently by the IB! I find it really unjust...

I agree, but I think there's some sort of cover for this with the fact that it's random whose coursework is called up. A teacher should treat all their students fairly or the IBO will also pick up these kinds of marking discrepancies - the teacher is basically running the risk of being caught doing what you describe if the student they've marked harshly comes up in the list of candidates whose work needs to be submitted. It's definitely not a perfect system, though, I'm with you on that.

By casually giving out lower grades to students that one does not like makes the teacher benefit twice: first, if the work of the disliked student is sent for moderation everybody will be upgraded, including some overrated work by other students. If it does not get moderated, then the poor kid gets downgraded twice. It's a win-win situation for the wicked teacher :shifty:

Oh well, I am afraid there is nothing one can do, which at the end of the day makes some IB results pretty random and adds some gambling to the formula, which is pretty sick on first place, since these same grades can seriously affect our future.

Thank you for your reply anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

Having read this thread now, I'm terrified about my Higher Bio coureworks- I'm not that great and my teacher can be quite harsh but nice to others... what if my IAs are completely annihilated? I always suck at Paper 2 as well because I find the Data Analysis particularly confusing and sometimes plain difficult-stuff like "suggest a reason why..." always makes my heart sink when I read it...

Anyone who has been through moderation out there who can either reassure or confirm my fears? :o

• Like 1

@psychologystudent, I'm sorry to say but truly it is likely that coursework will drop by at least a few marks - be ready for this. Therefore, much as the papers worry you, be aware that you need to know the syllabus and practice as you do not want to be depending on coursework to get the grade as it could drop by 1% or 10%... you have no clue.

The overriding point I'm making is make your coursework as exceptional as possible, but avoid feeling complacent that you dont need to do well in the papers as these are so vital. Just do your best in everything, its all important and dont waste study time worrying about a system you cannot influence :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For English for IOPs, how are they moderated??

From my reading of the syllabus, the IOP and IOC make up for the internal assessment but only the IOC is moderated. 

From Language A: Literature guide

The individual oral presentation is internally assessed and IB moderation takes place through the individual oral commentary. Recordings are not sent to the IB. Details are provided each year in the Handbook of procedures for the Diploma Programme.

And from the Handbook, 2015

The moderation of the internal assessment marks awarded by the teacher is based on recordings of one activity, the individual oral commentary. Samples of the individual oral presentation will not be required. The samples from the selection of recordings of the individual oral commentary must be those identified by IBIS. The number of recordings that make up the sample will depend on the number of candidates entered for the language A: literature and the level.

[OMITTED: instructions on paperwork to be filled by instructors]

• 3 months later...

What do you mean by the top scores lose 1-2 marks? Is this IF the IB feels your teacher has been to lenient, or do they randomly subtract 1-2 marks??

If they feel your teacher has been lenient. IB isnt a bunch of wackjobs who are like "ooh, I dont like this name. Boom marks off". If they feel the whole/most of the sample has been to lenient, they will reduce the marks. Otherwise may increase it, or say its fine let it be.

Hope this clears it up.

Cheers,

King112

• 2 years later...

Has anyone had a positive outcome from the school submitting the coursework for re-moderation after the IB results are published if the cohort's coursework was marked down way more than the tolerance of 15% that IB sets ??

Would you also know how long it would take for the remoderation to come back

Hi,

You are right.. we were told it could take upto 40 working days for re-mod and 18 working days for re-marks. However re-mod took exactly a week and re-marks are coming back in a day or two. 

Luckily re-mod changed the game scene for me and went up by one mark which made my Chemistry go from a 6 to a 7. My coursework is still moderated down by 5 marks !! but gave me the one mark I wanted !

• 2 years later...

Hello Everyone.

My teachers are telling us that we cannot get our IA/EE/TOK marks. When I read this thread, I realized that (at least I inferred that) you guys know your internal marks. That's why I wanted to ask this:

Are we allowed to get our IA,EE, TOK marks before they go to IB? What all information are the teachers supposed to give us (like whether our papers are going to moderation or not, and so on) related to the internal exams (including TOK, EE)? How much feedback can we get from teachers (because they are also setting a limit on that)?

It's really weird because our teachers are telling us that they can't even tell us if we did well or not, and my friends and I are really getting concerned about our marks (obviously). If the teachers aren't giving our marks as they're supposed to, is there anything I can do?

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2010 at 6:56 AM, I`m Potato said:

2.In other words, for your World Lit, IOC, Science Lab Reports, and so on, your teacher sends out a "representative" sample

These components are all externally assessed regardless of the number of students in the class.

• Extended essay
  • Theory of knowledge essay
  • Language A1 world literature
  • Language A1 school supported self-taught oral examination audio recording
  • Language A2 written task
  • Music: Musical investigation
  • Theatre practical performance proposals and research investigations

The rest are called internal assessments (these are marked by your teacher and examiners moderate their marks) such as science lab reports, mathematics portfolios etc.

3.The size of this sample depends on the number of students in your class (I think - this is the one point that needs confirming)

This is indeed true. However, to be more precise:

Students in a class:

• <= 5: all works
  • 6-20: 5 candidates' works
  • 21-40: 8 candidates' works
  • >=41: 10 candidates' works

Do teachers select the samples of IB

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2013 at 4:50 PM, psychologystudent501 said:

Having read this thread now, I'm terrified about my Higher Bio coureworks- I'm not that great and my teacher can be quite harsh but nice to others... what if my IAs are completely annihilated? I always suck at Paper 2 as well because I find the Data Analysis particularly confusing and sometimes plain difficult-stuff like "suggest a reason why..." always makes my heart sink when I read it...  Seeking assistance with your academic journey? Consider hiring a paid dissertation service that can offer professional support and guidance. Crafting a well-researched and structured dissertation requires expertise and time. By enlisting the help of experienced professionals, you can ensure a polished and comprehensive final product that meets the standards of your field.

Totally agree with you sir

Edited by EthanBrickman

• 1 month later...