What would it take?

DC_JackBlind

Everyone doing the IB goes through a phase or multiple phases where they ask themselves why they've chosen to... well do the IB! And if you haven't then I'm quite sure you'll agree that the IB isn't a stroll in the park. It's a rigorous programme that requires some brains and quite a lot of hard work!

So my question to my fellow IBers is what would it take to just quit, walk away...

The only rule is that whatever you wish for - money, computer games or a king sized bed you can't wish for a place in a University or Job :P I know that's a bit mean but I wanna hear what's driving you other than the prospect of a good Uni/Career...

--Blind

Dropping out? What? :P

Hehe, I don't know. Probably double the cost of my chosen uni's tuition: one half for my uni and the other half to afford living abroad after graduation until I get my feet planted. Because, besides getting into uni, IB is also a catalyst for me to pay for uni with local and regional scholarships of companies or organizations that support IB graduates. Many colleges in the US offer scholarships for just graduating from the IB, so that would have to be covered by my "prize" for dropping out.

• Like 1

In a word. Learning

I'm not following you...? You would quit the IB for learning? - WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? I'm not gonna quit the IB, I like the boarding communtiy and the school to much to leave. I'm just interested in the motivation behind you studies... is it the prospect of owning a nice car or a happy family etc.

I'm interested in Psychology but couldn't do it as part of my programme because of school limitations so this is my way of getting started in this forum and getting to know other IBers around the world!

Peace, Blind

Edited by Philip Ender

In a word. Learning

I'm not following you...? You would quit the IB for learning? - WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? I'm not gonna quit the IB, I like the boarding communtiy and the school to much to leave. I'm just interested in the motivation behind you studies... is it the prospect of owning a nice car or a happy family etc.

I'm interested in Psychology but couldn't do it as part of my programme because of school limitations so this is my way of getting started in this forum and getting to know other IBers around the world!

Peace, Blind

You asked why he chose I.B, he said to learn.

I'm in a similar boat; as a Brit, AS/A Levels just didn't offer enough, 4 (maybe 5) subjects wasn't enough variance/I'm interested in more things. It also forced me to take English, which I need but would never be able to make myself choose through free will.

Looks like we both failed at reading, I kinda only noticed the first question :P

Currently, despite your rules; only a place at uni would do it.

Edited by Blazara

I guess one of the main reasons I take IB mainly because I want to prepare myself for uni (so yeah, one of the typical reasons). Now that I've gotten involved in it though, there are tons of strings attached that are stopping me from dropping it; all my friends are in the IB at my school, and I'd probably have to face a lot of embarrassment from a bunch of people if I ended up quitting. I've already considered quitting several times, but I keep on telling myself, "One day, you'll have to handle a workload as heavy as this. Later on in life, it's just gonna get worse. So why not get used to it now?" I am kind of disappointed to see the last years of my childhood spent in the IB, though.

I would totally drop IB for a million dollars and I'd use the money to start my own business. :D Maybe I should make that two million dollars.... yes, I'd drop IB for TWO million dollars. However to be totally honest, I'm actually enjoying IB. I actually like stuff like the Extended Essay, TOK and even CAS. :S Shocking, I know. I especially love Social and English IB. ( I had so much fun writing my historical investigation!) The only thing I hate about IB is Biology and Math (Not to mention the stress and the sleepless nights.)

I guess I would be losing some valuable experiences by dropping IB, but if dropping it would help my achieve one of my other dreams (besides going to a good university) then I'd be okay with that too. (Because ultimately I'm just using IB as a "launch pad" of sorts to get used to pressures of the world beyond high school.)

Does any of this even make sense? I have a can of red bull coursing through my veins and my vision's starting to go fuzzy from all the French verb conjugations I've been trying to learn before my test tomorrow. Ah, IB. Its times like these that make me wish someone would just hand over that $2 million I asked for ASAP.

Now that I've gotten involved in it though, there are tons of strings attached that are stopping me from dropping it; all my friends are in the IB at my school, and I'd probably have to face a lot of embarrassment from a bunch of people if I ended up quitting.

Well, that and besides I don't know if it's just me, but there is something about IB that just pulls you back every time you think about quitting. Maybe it's the thought of being in IB and how quitting just makes you feel incapable of handling work loads..or something like that. I considered quitting..but that didn't happen, then I considered moving down to certificate..but that didn't happen either, so I thought fine! I am staying in IB but I am dropping chem HL for SL...and my mind didn't even accept that. My mind accepted the fact that I am going through hell, almost failing IB halfway through the program..as long as I didn't drop out.

In a way, I am glad I didn't though, because like you said, it did prepare me for heavier work loads. But then again, IB is just weird.

Now that I've gotten involved in it though, there are tons of strings attached that are stopping me from dropping it; all my friends are in the IB at my school, and I'd probably have to face a lot of embarrassment from a bunch of people if I ended up quitting.

Well, that and besides I don't know if it's just me, but there is something about IB that just pulls you back every time you think about quitting. Maybe it's the thought of being in IB and how quitting just makes you feel incapable of handling work loads..or something like that. I considered quitting..but that didn't happen, then I considered moving down to certificate..but that didn't happen either, so I thought fine! I am staying in IB but I am dropping chem HL for SL...and my mind didn't even accept that. My mind accepted the fact that I am going through hell, almost failing IB halfway through the program..as long as I didn't drop out.

In a way, I am glad I didn't though, because like you said, it did prepare me for heavier work loads. But then again, IB is just weird.

I am very very very relieved I'm not the only one who believes that IB has some sort of gravitational pull.

I'm with Duy, I took IB to learn because all other high school programs available to me are ridiculously easy. Even in IB I found it to be quite easy, if I ever find the motivation to try harder than the bare minimum :S. Oh, and my counselor and parents got together and didn't really ask me if I wanted to do IB, they just kind of put me here so why not just finish...

One thing that brings IBers back (besides are IB coordinator who we can't say no too but because she is like that...) would probably be the gap between the curriculum of IB and the rest of the school. Girl in our physics class (and not in IB) wishes she could take the IB courses but not have to do ToK and all the essays and exams, just wants the rigorousness and not the normal AP nap time classes and still get an A.

To be honest, some get-out-of-jail free cards for assessment for when I moved back in the next day.

Yeah IB is hard and there are nights where you have three assignment due the next day and the caffeine has stopped working (hence why I would like some get-out-of-jail free cards), but all the good things far out way them. The friendships and memories that I wouldn't get if I had done the normal curriculum are worth as much as the diploma. At the end of IB1, I know people in my classes have been starting to stress with assessment piling up, but no one has dropped yet because with only 25 in our year doing IB, we have become a family. I even know some people that didn't do IB that are now wishing they did when they see how much we all actually enjoy IB... most of the time. When things aren't too hectic, we actually enjoy school a whole lot more than others because we are friends with everyone and actually like our teachers, and when things start to get stressful, you have a whole support group there waiting to help you. You don't get that anywhere else but IB :S

I'd need back the year/2 years I wasted doing the IB prior to dropping out, I guess! And seeing as that's physically impossible, I guess I'd have to say only a very large sum of money, ownership of an island etc.

...or a place at Uni, of course. I dislike your rules :D

If, on the other hand, when you say quit the IB you don't mean I have to stay behind a year educationally and could zip straight into A Levels, I would've done it for 50p and a Mars bar by the time I was in IB2!

I think the difference is that, thanks to the British education system, if you quit something you have sod all to say you did ANYTHING at all. It's not even like taking the hardest class and dropping down, dropping your course is basically equal to dropping out of school completely :S Unless you repeat a year. Which I consider an epic disincentive to quit anything!

The IB, for me, is only a process that will mentally prepare me for business life in a few years. I don't actually see myself learning that much in terms of subject knowledge.

In other words - Getting into the mindset of hard long working hours, develloping my business ideas and practicing minor skills. If I could 2 million dollars cash I'd be 1. Leave and do something I've always wanted to do - start my own business or 2. Stay and go to uni and work on my "project" part time...

Couldn't say for sure which one atm but yep :S

--Blind

Yeah, I've thought of quitting IB, more than once. Even now, while I'm in the middle of my EE, I'm comtemplating just dropping it all and walking away. But I can't do it. It seriously is like there's like a force pulling you to stay in IB. Well that, and the fact that I'd feel like I'm letting people down and I'm not reaching my full potential. Also, all of my friends are in IB and we all understand eachother, we're all striving towards the same goal: a good education. And if I was to go back to "normal" classes I don't think I could handle it, the atmoshere in itself is so much more different and the workload is so slack I'd probably be bored out of my mind. Another thing that keeps me from quitting is the fact that I only have about six months left! WOOO.

However, two million would be pretty nice.... any takers? ;)