University Acceptances

Abu

Applied for English Lit, got three offers:

Conditions-

Durham - 36

York - 34

Edinburgh - 34

I need to choose between york and edinburgh now.. suggestions?

Look at the Times guide for English? Edinburgh might be a 4 year degree though.

Look at the Times guide for English? Edinburgh might be a 4 year degree though.

I did, york is higher on the ratings list. Edinburgh is a masters degree. I was just wondering which one is better known in the UK, if you would know. I think i'd rather be in england though than scotland, but i still haven't decided. =/

Just noticed you're from India. Kaisay ho?

If you're international, then England is better because of the 3 year thing, and the extra year of international fees. I'm not sure of which course you've applied for, but if it's a normal course then the Scottish Degree isn't exactly a full Master's degree in my opinion. I've an offer from St Andrews, but I'd rather just go to England. And the thought of having to understand a proper deep Scottish accent for 4 years!

Based on your SAT scores, your GPA, your rank, your extra-curricular activities, your essays and your interview. Your final IB grades have no influence on admission.

Off couse they do look at the IB grades! If they wouldnt, then there wouldnt be a point in setting up all these IB schools in the US. It is just the nature of their offer is diffrent from the British unis, if you get an offer from the US, it is basically Unconditional

Just noticed you're from India. Kaisay ho?

If you're international, then England is better because of the 3 year thing, and the extra year of international fees. I'm not sure of which course you've applied for, but if it's a normal course then the Scottish Degree isn't exactly a full Master's degree in my opinion. I've an offer from St Andrews, but I'd rather just go to England. And the thought of having to understand a proper deep Scottish accent for 4 years!

theek hu =p. you speak hindi? my hindi is surprisingly terrible, talk to me in german instead, i need practice =p.

Yeah, i agree about that. it's english lit at edinburgh, it says it's a full masters but im not really sure. I probable will go with york, the only thing that sucks is that the course has an oral component haha, i'm terrible at them.

Of course I speak Hindi / Urdu, I'm from across the border :P , all I can say in German is Danke/Bitte/Guten Tag. You do German for IB?

I did some more research, it's actually a full Masters and it's recognised as one. Do what you feel best really, because I've been having a change of heart about my degree too, and I'm feeling more towards Scotland because of the whole Masters thing. I'm a very confused being :P . According to here: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/goodun...;y=1&sub=12

Edinburgh is just 2 below York, so if you want to finish with a Masters then Edinburgh is better. Why aren't you going for Durham though? It's the best in English. Keep that as Firm, and the others as Insurance? Or have you done that already? :)

Of course I speak Hindi / Urdu, I'm from across the border :P , all I can say in German is Danke/Bitte/Guten Tag. You do German for IB?

I did some more research, it's actually a full Masters and it's recognised as one. Do what you feel best really, because I've been having a change of heart about my degree too, and I'm feeling more towards Scotland because of the whole Masters thing. I'm a very confused being :P . According to here: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/goodun...;y=1⊂=12

Edinburgh is just 2 below York, so if you want to finish with a Masters then Edinburgh is better. Why aren't you going for Durham though? It's the best in English. Keep that as Firm, and the others as Insurance? Or have you done that already? :)

But it says you're from singapore? Yep, i do german B, not very well, unfortunately, i think my german teacher is starting to despair haha.

Yeah, i used the times ratings when i applied, and Durham is my firm definitelyy. I would get to live in a castle for 6 months, who wouldn't want that? =p (And yeah, the fact that it's the best probably helps) I just need to choose between York and Edinburgh for my insurance. I'm definitely leaning towards York though.

Oh, and sorry about LSE. =( But i'm sure you have other great options anyway.

Edited by nanki_c

But it says you're from singapore? Yep, i do german B, not very well, unfortunately, i think my german teacher is starting to despair haha.

Yeah, i used the times ratings when i applied, and Durham is my firm definitelyy. I would get to live in a castle for 6 months, who wouldn't want that? =p (And yeah, the fact that it's the best probably helps) I just need to choose between York and Edinburgh for my insurance. I'm definitely leaning towards York though.

Oh, and sorry about LSE. =( But i'm sure you have other great options anyway.

I live in Singapore, laykin mai hoon pakistan say. Try reading the German newspaper perhaps?

Good luck with your decision, they're both great unis.

Thanks, I might be going in for either Bristol or St Andrews.

I live in Singapore, laykin mai hoon pakistan say. Try reading the German newspaper perhaps?

Good luck with your decision, they're both great unis.

Thanks, I might be going in for either Bristol or St Andrews.

Ahh, i see. i see in hindi is kind of funny, it makes no sense haha. sorry, abit pointless.

Thanks very much =]], you too.

Off couse they do look at the IB grades! If they wouldnt, then there wouldnt be a point in setting up all these IB schools in the US. It is just the nature of their offer is diffrent from the British unis, if you get an offer from the US, it is basically Unconditional

They may consider IB grades but IB grades surely aren't as important in the US as they are in other parts of the world. In the US it's really all about SAT/ACT score and leadership in extracurricular activities. Having a high GPA is nice but because different schools and different teachers grade differently GPA really doesn't tell much about your academic prowess.

the more i hear about the acceptances, the more i believe that even in the UK IB grades are not super important.

i've seen guys receiving their offers with 35-36 as predicted grades, while others with 40-42 still wait for any reply. and their choices are the same.

so i think that a reference and mabye a personal statement are much more important, even in the UK..

These are my offers/ones I have applied for:

Manchester University:

Physics 4 years: Conditional, 38 points, 6 in maths and physics

Artificial Intelligence 3 years: Conditional, 35 points, 6 in maths and 5 in chemistry

Bioinformatics 3 years: Invited for an interview - Should I, or should I not go? (I'm from Norway, so it's across seas)

Leeds University:

Physics 4 years: Conditional, 36 points, 6 in maths and physics

Nanotechnology 3 years: Conditional, 33 points, no requirements in math/phys.

I haven't got a clue of what I want to choose! Nanotechnology sounds awesome, but the requirement is so (relatively) low! And Bioinformatics seems to be high in demand, it's the only one which needs an interview!

Anyone else doing something similar?