Stroop Replication

pondertheworld

So for the Stroop task, my small psychology class was arranged into groups/partners, handed a packet of J. Ridley Stroop's Studies of Interference in Serial Verbal Reactions, and told to go crazy.

My teacher told us that we had to replicate the experiment exactly the way it was originally done... This is true, correct, yes?

I'm really confused and worried that we didn't do this the way it was supposed to be done. We gave them (our participants) either the NC or the NCWd test first, then switched off... We didn't do NC, NCWd, NCWd, NC or NCWd, NC, NC, NCWd like Stroop did, because my teacher told us that was not the right thing to do. So we only have data for the NC/NCWd or NCWd/NC tests.

Now, I'm really not totally worried about this because I'm HLing and this is a practice for me. I'm not submitting this for a grade yet. My partner is though, so I want to be sure he's not going to get a bad grade because of what our teacher told us...

Or are we just dumb?

For Standard Level, I agree with the person above.

For my Standard Level IA, I replicated some experiment on Free and Cued recall. I had made a few modifications to procedure, due to time limits ( I used different words, and I used a computer projector instead of a TV,) while still keeping the same amount of words.

All of the variables were kept the same in my experiment.

I didn't take HL, so I can't say what to do for that.

Edited by JoeGuff

In no way are you expected to fully replicate an original study. You are expected to test the original hypothesis from the classic study but you are allowed to use modern techniques to do so. For example, I used an automated, computerized version of Stroop to gather my data. The original study didn't do this because they didn't have the ability. Questionnaires are allowed to be different as well, like if you're testing Loftus. The main goal is to test the hypothesis with a similar (as close to original as possible) design and materials. Your partner has nothing to worry about. Just have him/her use the data from experiment 1 in Stroop's paper (check my blog and IA if unsure) and only use that data for statistical analysis.