My WL Paper #2 Topic Idea

ezra

So, I have to write my second World Lit paper on the novel Kiss of the Spider Woman by Manuel Puig, but I have a few concerns. First of all, after reading through the sticky topic "Tips for writing A1 Essays - Paper 1, Paper 2 and WL1", I feel like I may not be doing the right thing with my thesis. Under WL1, the topic says:

It will be a question! I personally think the phrase "thesis statement" can be misleading in terms of including the word statement. There should be no stating, narrating or retelling (unless it's part of briefly establishing context). You're trying to prove something by answering a task you've set yourself.

Does it really have to be in question format? For my first WL paper, my thesis statement was a statement and the purpose of my essay way to prove it. The line "there should be no stating" concerns me, is a statement that can be proven sufficient or is that unacceptable?

I guess my potential topic is really the second thing I want to talk about. For a WL paper about Kiss of the Spider Woman, I was thinking about writing about Molina's relationship with the straight waiter. My idea is that my thesis would go something like this:

To present contrast to the reader, Puig includes information about Molina's relationship with the straight waiter to present information about Molina's state of being.

Overall, I'm worried that I wont be able to write enough, and that it might be too vague. One of my teachers concerns is that our topics are "unclear" (or so I've heard 100 times from her), so I'm trying to make sure that I make the topic of my essay as clear as possible this time.

Thanks in advance for any help. ;)