Anyone taking a year off?

ozZiiiii

Guest Abrusci

Well, I don't really want to but seeing as I need to move from England (current place) back to Chicago (home) then I'll need time for transition. I don't think it would be too bad to have some time off from working like this but I'm just afraid if I get used to it then I'll just not go, lol.

Hopefully I won't be weak and won't procrastinate the rest of my life, though I'm getting some good practice in. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I probably would not take a year off even if I had the option because it is very hard get back in the mindset of studying after you have been away from studying for a whole year. Even if you get a decent job, it is always better just to get your education over with (at least that is what I think).

One of the big positives, as everybody seems to be having a downer on the year off, would be the opportunity to mature. I'm sure we all know how far we've come since we were 16 or so, just going from 16-18 is a big leap, especially after the IB ( :) ). A lot of people take off the extra year just to get a life for a bit! Experience new things, go travelling, mature and become generally more worldy-wise people. After all, it's really your last opportunity to do so.

Also quite a few people take the year to make the money to keep them going at University. ^_^

There are plenty of pros to taking the year off. About the only non-pro would be forgetting everything or losing the whole routine thing. There's more to life than a job, after all!

I have to say, I strongly considered it, but as I'm doing a very long degree course AND couldn't persuade any of my friends to do the same (better to travel in groups :D ) I ditched the concept.

I've been working for a month now and everything I learnt in IB has flown out of my head. Work in the real world is so mind-numbing, you forget about how it used to feel to study and go to school. Work does mature you, but it's hard. If I took a year off and only worked, I might not adapt sp easiöy to being back in "school" and getting back into the studying mindset.

For those that need money for university, why not work during the summer only? In countries with good pay, that should be enough to give you a good start, plus the summer is long enough for you to "mature".

I'd love to take a year off and study at a culinary school, Just because I love cooking so much ! I think I'd make an amazing chef, but having almost finished my degree I'd feel like I wasted my degree if I don't do something with it. I will have to take a year off between BSc and MSc as I can't afford it to work etc. and since I want a PhD and eventually to become a lecturer I too have a long study period ahead of me.

I think it's good to experience the real world, and coming from someone who's already at Uni trust me, you get off the routine anyway. Unless you're doing science or engineering, it won't feel the same as school as you won't have that many classes or work, especially compared to the IB.

So take the year off and be lazy if you wish, it's not that bad.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I currently know, I will go get a job and recharge for a year.

'll just have to hope that I'll still enjoy learning new things once the year is over.

So, what about you? All of you seem very determined to just get it all overwith. Understand that. :D

I won't take a year off, because it just seems to be a waste of time and energy. Furthemore, I got into medicine. Thus, I have a decent profession for my future and the funds will come from my relatives (at first) and later-on I am planning to earn money from medicine. From my point of wiev, that's the best option. :D

I still have 2 years left until I need to make that decision, but it's often crossed my mind. Unless I've developed a clear career path goal by then (I tend to be a undecisive person >_>) I'm leaning towards taking a year off, mainly to go travelling. I feel very lucky to live in a country like Canada, but I want to go out and see more of the world before I commit myself to several more years of schooling.