Studying Mathematics or Medicine in Australia

kiwi.at.heart

Note that my knowledge is fairly limited to mainly NSW universities, but i'll try to help.

In NSW/ACT if you're looking for a 'top' university (rankings don't really mean much imo) then there's ANU, Usyd and UNSW. ANU is supposedly the best uni in australia but has the massive downside of requiring you to stay in Canberra :yes: I think that for undergraduate medicine you would have to go for UNSW, entry for USYD would require at least 45, although you could also try UWS, but UNSW is probably the best.

For maths, UNSW I would say again, it tends to be good for maths/sciences, you could also look at UTS for maths.

I don't think this is very helpful for all of Australia but in the end the choice would probably come down to NSW/VIC universities anyway.

• 9 months later...

Note that my knowledge is fairly limited to mainly NSW universities, but i'll try to help.

In NSW/ACT if you're looking for a 'top' university (rankings don't really mean much imo) then there's ANU, Usyd and UNSW. ANU is supposedly the best uni in australia but has the massive downside of requiring you to stay in Canberra :yes: I think that for undergraduate medicine you would have to go for UNSW, entry for USYD would require at least 45, although you could also try UWS, but UNSW is probably the best.

For maths, UNSW I would say again, it tends to be good for maths/sciences, you could also look at UTS for maths.

I don't think this is very helpful for all of Australia but in the end the choice would probably come down to NSW/VIC universities anyway.

At least 45 for med at Uni Syd?

I know that it is highly competitive, but considering 45 is the highest possible mark in IB and less than 70 people got a perfect score in out of all 50,000+ IB students last year. So I very much doubt that 45 is the "minimum".

But otherwise I agree with you, UNSW and SYDU are probably the top options as ANU is in Canberra and well... it's Canberra...

• 1 month later...

In Victoria the University of Melbourne is a great university. Only thing is, to do medicine you'd have to do a Bachelor of Science first, before going on to do postgrad med, because you can't go straight into medicine because of the 'Melbourne Model'.

Monash University is also good for medicine, and you can go straight into undergrad medicine there I believe.

My knowledge is limited to Victorian Universties, although I was going to mention ANU, but it's already mentioned above.

• 4 months later...

If you were considering studying in Queensland, the best universities are in the capital, Brisbane.

For medicine, University of Queensland or Bond University would be your best choices. Bond University is a private university and so the most expensive - even more for an international student, and are the most exclusive.

- UQ requires the IB equivalent of an OP1; which, according to the 2011 data, is a 42. The pre-requisite subjects are English (4 semesters of 3 for HL or 4 for SL).

- Bond requires a 42, as well as English, Maths SL and Chemistry.

For all undergraduate medicine courses in Australia, you are required to pass the UMAT test (Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admissions test), including international students.

Mathematics courses are offered at UQ, Griffith Uni and Bond as part of the Bachelor of Arts undergraduate degree, with no pre-requisites, as well as the Bachelor of Science degree.

Heaps more information is available on the university websites; www.uq.edu.au, www.griffith.edu.au and www.bond.edu.au.

• 1 year later...

There are only a few universities in Australia in which you can enter from year 12 into their medicine course (undergraduate medicine), however you will need to undertake the UMAT for that which is a skill/aptitude/IQ ish test. These universities include Uni of Adelaide, Monash Uni, etc. These places tend to be very popular in terms of numbers.

There are others where it is private and you have to pay ALOOT of money, i.e. bond university

Universities like Melbourne, Queensland require you to take the GAMSAT which is only for people who have completed a bachelor's degree. In terms of ranking, the University of Melbourne was 9th in the world for clinical studies in 2012, however it is very difficult to get a place there.

• 1 month later...

At least 45 for med at Uni Syd?

I know that it is highly competitive, but considering 45 is the highest possible mark in IB and less than 70 people got a perfect score in out of all 50,000+ IB students last year. So I very much doubt that 45 is the "minimum".

But otherwise I agree with you, UNSW and SYDU are probably the top options as ANU is in Canberra and well... it's Canberra...

For Sydney Uni 45 is the minimum for the guaranteed entry program, for which only 30 positions are available overall. The medicine program at USYD is fundamentally post-graduate regardless of the route of entry. To study medicine at USYD there are two methods of entry: 90% of positions (i.e. 270) are awarded after one's undergraduate bachelor degree is complete, based on undergraduate performance, GAMSAT and interview; the last 10% (i.e. 30 places) are awarded immediately after year 12, prior to commencement of the bachelor degree, with places being offered based on a minimum IB of 45 or HSC equivalent of 99.95, in addition to an informal interview. Regarding the latter method of entry, students still have to complete an undergraduate bachelors degree prior to commencement of the postgraduate medicine program; the main perk is that such students don't have to sit GAMSAT or interviews, since they have a position in medicine set aside for them, granted they maintain a minimum credit average.