timtamboy63

IA (Eco)
Tips for Economics Portfolio (Commentary)

53 posts in this topic

For 2013 candidates:

A note on word limit for economics IAs

The following are NOT(!!!!!!) included in the word count:

- Acknowledgments

- Contents page

- Diagrams

- Labels (of five words or fewer)

- Headings on diagrams (of 10 words or fewer)

- Tables of statistical data

- Equations, formulae, and calculations

- Citations (which, if used, must be in the body of the commentary)

- References (which, if used, must be in the footnotes/endnotes)

Note: footnotes/endnotes may be used for references only. Definitions of economic terms and quotations, if used, must be in the body of the work and are included in the word count. Please note that a citation is a shorthand method of making a reference in the body of the commentary, which is then linked to the full reference in the footnotes/endnotes.

Edited by brofessional

A note on word limit for economics IAs

The following are NOT(!!!!!!) included in the word count:

- Acknowledgments

- Contents page

- Diagrams

- Labels (of five words or fewer)

- Headings on diagrams (of 10 words or fewer)

- Tables of statistical data

- Equations, formulae, and calculations

- Citations (which, if used, must be in the body of the commentary)

- References (which, if used, must be in the footnotes/endnotes)

Note: footnotes/endnotes may be used for references only. Definitions of economic terms and quotations, if used, must be in the body of the work and are included in the word count. Please note that a citation is a shorthand method of making a reference in the body of the commentary, which is then linked to the full reference in the footnotes/endnotes.

That is for 2013 candidates. The word count includes labels and descriptions in diagrams candidates sitting the May or Nov exams this year.

for candidates doing the may exams this year; does footnotes count in the word count if they are definitions of terms?

for candidates doing the may exams this year; does footnotes count in the word count if they are definitions of terms?

Yes, they do.

Hi, I'm doing Economics HL.

I'm currently writing a commentary about rising air fares due to increased demand. Although the first impression one gets is that it's pretty basic, considering its just a simple supply demand PED PES thing. Although the commentary is basically that, I have included other stuff that goes away from the basic 'price increasing due to increased demand coupled with limited supply'

My question was : Is this too basic a topic for an Economics HL student?

Hi, I'm doing Economics HL.

I'm currently writing a commentary about rising air fares due to increased demand. Although the first impression one gets is that it's pretty basic, considering its just a simple supply demand PED PES thing. Although the commentary is basically that, I have included other stuff that goes away from the basic 'price increasing due to increased demand coupled with limited supply'

My question was : Is this too basic a topic for an Economics HL student?

My first IA was on supply & demand/Price Controls and I got a 94 on it (my teacher didn't convert it into IB scores for us but I think it's a 6...) Anyways, most of the microeconomics topics are a bit "basic" because it is so early in the course. As long as you are demonstrating that you understand the topics, then you should be fine. Good luck!

Realised I've submitted my IA Portfolio with sources (e.g. 'The Guardian') but not the urls, is that likely to be a problem?

Have you footnoted/referenced the articles|? I believe you need to.

How do you guys manage to fit a GOOD commentary within 750 words? I find it nearly impossible sometimes to fit everything I want to say (mostly for analysis/evaluation) into such a small limit, and my teacher includes EVERY WORD in the word limit meaning everyime I write P1 or Q1 on a diagram, my word limit it shot to hell.

My portfolio is supposed to be finalized tomorrow and I have a ridiculous teacher and my 3rd and 4th commentaries (development and international trade, respectively) are not at all impressive in my opinion. I can't afford to get less than a 6 in my portfolio and my teacher is useless.

How do you guys fit SO much into an evaluation? Do you spare on the more obvious details about the situation itself? Or less terms used? AGHHH!

Question: Do we have to put our candidate name and candidate number on the header?

Hi,

When I make reference to the article, should I quote (in quotation marks) the sentence/the group of words I'm referring to or should I just put the sentence into my own words?

Thanks,

brofessional

Hi,

When I make reference to the article, should I quote (in quotation marks) the sentence/the group of words I'm referring to or should I just put the sentence into my own words?

Thanks,

brofessional

You can do either one, but I usually just paraphrased the article since it takes up less words and I get to the point faster.

You could also use a signal phrase like "The article states..."

1 person likes this

Depends on the amount of economic content. I've done one on a shorter article, so it's possible.

I have a question about the Economics Internal Assessment on Microeconomics. I have an article, and have written my first draft. Somehow, my teacher found it to be not so good, and gave me an 80 on the draft. I want to make it better, but can't seem to find enough topics to analyze within the article.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what else I could analyze in this article? The link is here:

http://www.usnews.co...roduction-costs

Hi guys :) I'm kinda new on here. I was wondering if someone could give me an article suggestion for Development Economics? Like, any 'recent' (2012) news you think I could look into? Preferably on Aid and Debt. I've been looking everywhere, and I really can't find anything substantial, so if you could help me out, I'd be eternally grateful. :D

Edit: Never mind, I finished it.

Edited by Bandhagi

@emmapatregnani, @Natali192 and @SonaT: please make separate threads for requests regarding individual articles for IAs!

I'd recommend the article on chocolate.. although you must make sure whether or not you'll be able to implement sufficient economic analysis since this deals with the basic prices rises. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Mine's on a similar topic.

How about the topic of the commentary? Does it matter if lots of commentaries are done on the same topic before? Referring to solar panel tariffs...

:hmmm:

Hi, I came across this website. It gives links to articles on current topics, along with the summary of the articles, explanations for the key terms and theories used. Kind of neat. Check it out. Might come in handy when you are trying to choose a topic for IA.

www.econdiscussion.com