National Mathematics Competitions

ezex

Well, I don't know if you guys know about it, but in the "states" there are math competitions associated with MAO, mu alpha theta, math club. These are pretty much competitions held at regional levels which involve about 200 kids per cattegory (algebra1, geometry, algebra2, pre-calculus, calculus and stats) and it's simply a test of 30 questions with 1 hour to do. Then the top 20 get trophies and the top 5 schools get trophies.

For those of you guys out there who like math, maybe you wanna give it a try :D There's a test attached for the calculus division, about 8 years ago. It's a pretty easy test compared to now, but to see how you stand, each quesiton is 4 points, each incorrect is -1 and each blank is 0. A perfect score is 120 and in this particular test, top 20 ranged from 80 to 115 points.

good luck :rolleyes:

MAO_test.doc

wow

this is hard. is it for the last year of high school? Such as IB2 HL maths? Because I can't do it and I'm half way through IB1. I've done Junior year maths for UK standards. Which is AS maths.

the test is designed for first year in calculus, which would pretty much be IB math SL, but the thing is that you're supposed to learn little things by yourself, that's the trick. It's extremely hard on purpose, but either way, there's always people who get close to perfect scores...i've gotten 95 points once, last december, but the only way is with all the practice that i get from my teacher.

And, really? you can't do the problems? The point of the test is to do it fast, it shouldn't be that hard for someone in math HL.

ha ha. i rememeber those tests... i sucked at them. lol. i never got to do a calc one, but i did the ones from geometry, algebra II and pre-calc. my lowest score was a -20, and i think my highest score was a 30 i think. i did get 2nd place in geometrey team though. i seriously joined MAO to go to hawaii, when i was a freshman. they go every 10 years. then i stayed for the parties... i think that is funnny, that some of the best parties i went to were thrown by a buch of MAO-ers. we had some pretty good non-teacher friendly t-shirt ideas too.

*DBHS will always be the best...*

Edited by IBStuck

ya, and this school called buchholz dominates this ****!!!!

:) You know bucholz? Well the only time i've seen them is actually in states, because our zoen doesnt include them. But around our area, theres about 3 math magnet schools who simply take every trophy every time: Miami Springs, Cypress Bay, Community, and Stounman Douglas...and soon to be Ferguson :P

@Forester: Don't worry :P These questions are EXTREMELY hard on purpose, if you've never seen these types of tests, odds are you'll be able to answer a few of them.

@IBStuck: For a couple of years now, the competition has been COMPLETELY no calculator. I can tell you that since the TI-89 came out, it's pretty much pointless to make the test with calculuator, since you can do almost everything with a calculator.

But there's another competition next saturday and i'll post up the new test if i can to show you the difference between this one and the one from now...much harder.

have they really gotten that much harder? i last took one... um... i guess it would have been your fresman year. i moved at the beginign of my junior year last year, so the last one i took was the pre-calc ones when i was a sophmore, and they were still calculator then. i am trying to get a year for you bu i suck at math.

*edit*

it would have been 2005-2006. they don't have MAO to where i moved to.

Edited by IBStuck

the test is designed for first year in calculus, which would pretty much be IB math SL, but the thing is that you're supposed to learn little things by yourself, that's the trick. It's extremely hard on purpose, but either way, there's always people who get close to perfect scores...i've gotten 95 points once, last december, but the only way is with all the practice that i get from my teacher.

And, really? you can't do the problems? The point of the test is to do it fast, it shouldn't be that hard for someone in math HL.

hi... i have seen the test and there is no way on earth that it is similar to IB math SL, i am taking SL maths and i cant do most of it!

Well that's the whole point of the competition: if you're dedicated enough, you'll learn ahead and be able to do the problems. People in Pre-Calculus that actually care about the tests know more by the end of the first semester than someone in Math HL by may of the last year. It's my second year in the calculus division and there's no way for me to do any pre-calculus test. Out of the calculus tests I usually know about 26-28 of the questions. In the pre-calc i might know...4 maybe 5. This is why it's so incredible to get trophies in these competitions and why we train so hard.

we never trained hard except for 1 or 2 out of the maybe 100 of us in the club.... we did throw some great parties.... we were the school that broke all the curfews at states and nationals....lol. we took over the dance they trow at national and states... well... we liked to think that.

Yes, I'm from gainesville, which is where buchholz is located, but i do NOT go there... rumor has it that buchholz students are either drug addicts or nerds (whites vs. asians)

buchholz did kick cypress bay's ass in all other competitions though... the state 3 times in a row and nationals last... no offense to you miami kids, because i do not like buchholz people either.

Here is this last saturday's invitational test. The important part is that this test was extremely easy...so much that 5 people got perfect scores, and, yes icecoldstar, all from bucholz. Our school did pretty good the problem was that me and the president of the club weren't there so there were only 2 good calculus team members.

I also attached the solutions so you see the way they solve these tests.

PS: The guy's name is David because the team for stats was: David, Mohammad, Ellen, and Kunal. And the only one that looks american there is david therefore he must be the guy i'm talking about.

February_Fort_Myers_Invitational_Solutions.pdf

February_Fort_Myers_Invitational.pdf

Edited by ezex