Laptop School?

ppincus

Laptop or no laptop? If so, then what ways do you take notes? Our school uses Microsoft Office OneNote. It's pretty convenient. Also, our school is online basically so that means our grades are updated almost regularly on PowerSchool and our assignments are handed to us through Moodle. Oh and what computers does your school provide?

We got laptops from our school last year. We just paid a deposit and then we get the money back when IB is over and we hand in the laptops again.

We also use OneNote, I also find it really useful and have all my notes on it, then just transfer them to a notebook when I get home. I bring my laptop to school everyday, it's the easiest. Then I don't need to carry around loads of notes with me all the time, I think it's great.

The school has its own network, its called It's Learning, where we hand in most assignments and it goes through some plagiarism checker software and all that.

The laptop we got is a HP mini 5101 and we got to choose whether we wanted xp or windows 7 ;)

We got the pile of...stuff...mininotes that take 5min to boot up and hasn't moved from my room in the past 6 weeks. Just seems pointless for our school because right now if you walk into any non-IB/AP class i can bet $100 at least 80% of the class is playing some sort of game because our tech group can't seem to figure out how to block app installing.

Personally I can't take notes in a computer, I remember what I write and read, typing wouldn't work for me. That's just personal preference though. I think the only time I've used it is when our physics teacher has told us we will have time to write up lab reports in class so I can make my charts and stuff in class, also if theres time at the data collection day to at least shove it into a raw data chart instead of chicken scratch all over my paper ;)

Yeah, I only use laptops in school when they make me. I really haven't experimented with typing notes, but I usually remember information better when I write it out, like Drake. :)

I love computers, as I even take a Visual/Digital Design class for my non-IB elective. :)

I just don't feel like having to worry about my laptop all day long, people steal and laptops can break. ;)

My school has a "one-on-one" program as they like to call it.

Each pupil is provided with a standard white macbook. It is practical because it comes equipped with all the software we might potentially need for any subject combination. I can't even imagine not having a school macbook anymore actually. The only counter-productive aspect of it, is that some people use it mainly to play games during class. Also, they do random check-ups to see if we have downloaded illegal software and you are given detention if you are repeatedly seen carrying your laptop without its case.

I went to a laptop school! I loved it. We all had Lenovo Tablets and they were fantastic, you could write by hand or type. We also used OneNote. Tablets are great for classes like economics where you have to draw graphs. I didn't think I'd like using it but now I can't do my notes by hand because I don't learn as well. Shame we had to hand the tablet back in, I would have loved to keep it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I go to an all laptop school, we first get them in year 5 and then every three years get a new one (rented from some company, so we hand them back after the three years). We can use whatever program we want to type notes... but most use word (and the smart ones use onenote... which is pretty much my god of gods :|)

My school doesn't provide laptops, but a few people bring in their own. Some people actually use them to take notes and others use them to play Solitaire in class, so their usefulness is debatable :P For this reason some teachers don't allow them.

I think they're useful during work periods where you can save time by typing straight away instead of writing things out and typing them later, but with regards to note taking I prefer to write out notes. It helps me remember stuff better. I'm old fashioned that way :D

• 4 weeks later...

Our school is switching to laptops next year, but at this point it practically is already one since the vast majority of students bring in their own (mostly macs :P). We have online grades as well, although semester and quarter grades are handed out physically.

i use microsoft word and onenote to take notes too, and I love it since it is much easier to keep all your notes in one place and the fact that you only need to carry around one laptop. however, mine is a 14.5" and i regret not buying the 13" version, because this one gets heavy when i carry it around for a while.

Wow. My school feels like the stone age compared to you guys.

What's funny is that the only school laptops we have is a set of 30, and they are signed out on a class-basis. And know who gets them all the time? The regular or the remedial classes. Fan-****-tastic.

Edit: it's a school of 2500 kids. 30 laptops. Our admin dun gud.

Edited by Austin Glau

our whole school from year five to

year twelve MUST have a macbook.

we use them for practically everything:

note taking, presentations, assignments,

except our exams- they still wasting paper in exams.

but seriously, the macbook's are so useful.

and extraordinarily beautiful!

• Like 1

We don't get offered laptops, However there are thin clients all around our school, in each class room. However I find it much more useful to bring my laptop to school rather than use their computer.

1) because I can type faster with my laptop

2) It has better features

3)I can LAN game with other friends who have brought their laptops.haha

4) And it just feels better when you making notes with your laptop. :D

My school has small mini laptops that they've issued us with on the condiition that we lay down a £100 deposit (which I've done) and that after the two years of IB, we give the laptops back.

Although I would like to keep mine.....

EDIT: The only problem with our laptops is that the internet connection only works in school. At home, it's just there without the net......

Edited by Derek

My school does not allow laptops. You can get in big trouble for just brining them to school. We have school laptops...but they all stay in one room and nobody uses them.

All of you who are allowed to have laptops are lucky. I wish I could use mine, it would save me.

Our school supplies us with laptops (from which I am now typing!). It's really really handy, we have OneNote as well. Our school got a bit of cash, and splurged on tablet computers. We pay $50 a year to rent them, and they're pretty much mandatory, as we have this online IB coordinating site called ManageBac.

I also find it handy when researching for my EE. There's this plugin that you can put onto your FireFox explorer to site any source you want with the click of a button into APA citation. The only thing you have to change is the title, which only the first letter of the title is supposed to be in caps. Here's a link for any of you interested geeks out there.

Zotero

Click Dowload, and then below that click on the download for word processors. Then scroll down to Word (or whatever you use) and click that one. It's installed! Now, whenever you got off on a site that's good, you clicky clicky on the little word "zotero" in the bottom right hand corner of firefox whenever you wanna site it! Tadaa! Archived and saved and APA formatted!

Huh. That was a bit extensive, but if it helps.....

*goes off to find/start a 'helpful technology' thread*

• Like 1

My school allows laptops, but it isnt an official thingy, meaning its about wether the student wants to bring one and it is not mandatory to bring one unless specified.

We play too much computer games at school tsk tsk lol

btw is there any good software or plugins for my ib life? like easy citation machines.... best if its free lol

its quite heavy to bring a laptop to school (i dont live in my school and its on the mountain, i have to carry it uphill downhill everyday lol tough)

so i am planning on getting a macbook air

but most of us use an ipad anyway.

Same with me. I did not know that it is so common to have laptops in school.

our school just has a set of 50 laptops and they are only used, when you are in that specific room, where they store them.

But i think for me it is easier to remember things, when i write them downsmile.gif

• 1 month later...