The chinese room - artificial intelligence

frankinafishtank

Has anyone done a presentation on artificial intelligence/the chinese room argument?

I feel very lost and i need some help or feedback on what i currently have in mind

Real life situation: Chinese room thought experiment by John Searle

Knowledge issue: Who is a knower?

Ideas: human vs. computer

a computer uses artificial knowledge to manipulate information, so does this mean that a machine can know?

a human using a dictionary uses the same tool to get information, by following a set of rules in a dictionary

Areas of knowledge dealt with: reason - machines uses reason(?)

language - can be applied when translating languages, same word - different meaning

It is a very broad topic and im stuggling with what i should focus on - help please? :)

Has anyone done a presentation on artificial intelligence/the chinese room argument?

I feel very lost and i need some help or feedback on what i currently have in mind

Real life situation: Chinese room thought experiment by John Searle

Knowledge issue: Who is a knower?

Ideas: human vs. computer

a computer uses artificial knowledge to manipulate information, so does this mean that a machine can know?

a human using a dictionary uses the same tool to get information, by following a set of rules in a dictionary

Areas of knowledge dealt with: reason - machines uses reason(?)

language - can be applied when translating languages, same word - different meaning

It is a very broad topic and im stuggling with what i should focus on - help please? :)

The chinese room experiment is basically the idea that if you gave some english-speaking guy in a room a load of cards with chinese characters printed on them and a key as to which characters to produce in response to which questions, sat him in a room and made him pass responses through a door -- he could communicate with chinese speakers coming to him and asking him questions, but would he actually understand chinese?

...then imagine that is artificial intelligence and does the fact that it can seem to be answering you mean it actually understands?

I would personally focus more on the language and how language and understanding fit together -- intuitively I imagine you'd agree that the chinese room guy doesn't have knowledge because he doesn't understand, and that's the point you should centre on: where understanding comes from. If we can reason something does that mean we 'know' it as in properly understand it? If we can articulate something do we 'know' it?

• Like 1