Social Life + IB = impossible?

FeralKid

This question is VERY relative! There is no yes or no answer--or well, there is, but it depends on your school.

At my old school, the IB kids get a lot of homework every night, so they have a lot of stress on their hands. However, at my new school, we don't get ANY homework whatsoever (my school's philosophy) other than the Internal Assessments. As a result, I'm usually free and maintain a good social life. I think I've only had about four weekends where I've been stressed to the bone and have had to work non-stop. I can usually find time to go out with friends and do things I enjoy. My friends from Canada tell me a different story, where they have to complete assignments everyday in order to maintain a solid grade. My grades in my school are just based on the practice exams and IAs we do, so there's really little stress if any. I'm a bit stressed right now because I have the following assignments due on monday:

World Lit Essay

Biology Lab

Chemistry Lab

TOK Essay

As you can see, they are all IA, and no useless worksheets.

I agree with Damien R. The second year of IB is too hectic and filled with deadlines that it becomes impossible to go out at times. And even when you do, you're too tired to go out and just want to catch up on all the sleep that you've been missing. Too bad i don't have a christmas this year, i have to study throughout, oh well. Happy holidays all XD

I definetly think it's possible to have a social life in IB certificate depending on which classes you've chosen and how many. I'm only in 2 IB classes myself and it's not that stressful. There are weekends where I have to lock myself in my house and do homework and others where I can make some time to relax. It's possible to have a social life in IB certificate if you manage your time and know when you have to do homework and when you can go out with friends.

But in IB diploma, I think your only "social life" is getting together with other IB students and having study parties. The workload is so intense from what I understand, whenever you have "free time" it must be used for CAS or EE. The first year of IB diploma isn't that bad from what I understand (which is Grade 11 in Canada), one can still have a somewhat of a social life, but in the second year (Grade 12), absolutely no way. Well, not until May exams are done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't started the diploma yet, but the CAS supervisor showed us the CAS records from last year. A few students had in excess of 500 hours in IB1, one student had 720 hours- IN IB1! If they converted the excess CAS hours to a social life... I dont see any reason why somebody can't have time to socialize.

Then again, I haven't even started the IB yet... what would I know? ;)

My school is great for this, the head librarian has a huge bulletin board that all the teachers are supposed to pay attention to, since all upcoming unit exams and papers are to be posted. They also send emails around quite often, so it's rare we have more than 2 major tests/essays due the same day. It is so nice. I do find it hard on some days to have time with friends, being up until midnight is the norm for me being able to finish schoolwork. I also have a 75 minute "flex" block halfway in the day I can use for homework, which is also extremely beneficial. I'd say that with my school's format it is possible to have a social life, albeit a difficult endeavor. I agree with all the other commenters, good time management is not only crucial, it is a must.

I think it's possible. I have a friend who's doing sports probably 5-6 days a week, at least 1.5 hours per day, I'm sure she has a social life, had a boyfriend, and is doing very very well. But then again, she's amazingly smart... I, on the other hand, procrastinate like crazy so I can't even have enough space for a social life. But I think that if I actually did work earlier and turned everything in on time and managed my time wisely, I could definitely do much better and have a good social life - parties, hang out with friends, shopping, etc. As long as you don't procrastinate that much you definitely can in my opinion... but I barely know anyone who is that diligent.

• Like 1

Ha ha... Social life? What social life? Most of my friends are IB students as well so when I'm not busy with school work they usually are so no social life here. But it's okay I still have time to do fun stuff on my own and my dog is never to busy to hang out with me. :)

Yeah, I always have my dog for company too XD. Gotta love 'em!

A big part of it is time management and not procrastinating, but if you are really ambitious and want like, a 40+ on your diploma plus have a really active CAS life and do lots and lots of leadership activities, that is easier said than done. I guess it depends on what you define a social life as too. Does social life = having a girlfriend and boyfried, or getting into lots of drama and conflict with your frienemies? Is it just attending lots of parties?

I'm an introvert myself, so not having a life doesn't bug me toooo much. All the "social life" i hear about around me seems to be typical high school drama and partying, though. I'm not really interested in it, so I'm mostly content just hanging 'round with my nerd herd =).

• Like 1

It really depends on the individual, as many people have said already.

For me, I could see how social life was affecting my grades, because as soon as I started going out clubbing every weekend my grades started to drop like crazy. But then, I guess I am too obsessed with my social life, and if I manage to focus in school like my friend, my grades wouldnt have dropped like that.

• Like 1

I think I've chosen good grades and social life. My sleep hours are less and less.

But is a matter of time management. Most of the IB students at my school hang out with friends and have a normal social life.

I think that saying that IB students don't have a social life is just a stereotype

• Like 1