World Lit Paper 1 (critique my thesis)

Shapoopi

Hello

The two novels ive decided on writing on are, Love in the Time of Cholera, and Madame Bovary. In these two novels I wanted to compare the passive minor male characters acting as a foil to the female protagonist.

Now i've ran through this with a couple of my friends, and some say that i'm lacking in a specific literary feature to talk about. I thought that a foil was a literary device. If not, could anyone help me find a literary device that goes in my direction or even hint to just help me get going in the right direction!

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!

Foils can be devices, either the foil itself or the comparison between the two characters where the characters are the devices. What I'm not seeing is an effect. So far you just state you want to compare this to that but then it goes no where. When you compare these characters (you could maybe condense all the minor male characters into a single character, might want to run that by your teacher though) you need to "prove" something otherwise you just have an essay of evidence that leaves the reader with no conclusion.

Foils can be devices, either the foil itself or the comparison between the two characters where the characters are the devices. What I'm not seeing is an effect. So far you just state you want to compare this to that but then it goes no where. When you compare these characters (you could maybe condense all the minor male characters into a single character, might want to run that by your teacher though) you need to "prove" something otherwise you just have an essay of evidence that leaves the reader with no conclusion.

Thanks for the input! I we were going to get our ideas by our teacher this week but, just wanted to see if my idea was on the right track in the first place, so I dont look completly lost in front of my teacher! Haha! Thanks again, it really was appreciated!