Switching subjects after a semester!

pandabear

Hello forum, I've got quite a dilemma in my hands. Well, maybe it isn't that serious but the fact that I'm stressing out is telling my otherwise. The school I go to hasn't got the widest selection of subjects when it comes to the IB. The choices I made at the beginning at the year weren't ones I was satisfied with, but seemed to be the 'better' way to go. Note that this was before I was aware of the significance of points, and how important it is to not make it harder than it has to be for yourself. At the moment, I'm taking English A1, Swedish A1, and History at higher level and Biology, Chemistry, and Maths at standard level. I'm loving English and Biology, but as for the rest: 'meh' I'll try to go through this step by step as I have several issues.

First off, Swedish. It is my first language, and i'm fluent, but I have been living abroad for the greater part of my school years. So even though talking isn't a problem, my writing is suffering from that, alot. As I mentioned earlier, the selection of subjects is fairly narrow and that's the reason why I'm in the class that I'm in. Apart from A1, there's only Swedish B which is really easy. Downside to B would be that I wouldn't be eligible to study in a Swedish university –where they teach in Swedish– without taking a qualification test. I don't mind though, I will probably go abroad anyways. I think I can manage a 5 in Swedish A1 with alot of work, but I'll definitely get a 7 in Swedish B. A or B?

Secondly, Chemistry. I really only picked Chemistry because the other courses weren't appealing. Two sciences are proving to be too much. The Chemistry teacher sucks, and I think I'll end up with a 4 or 5 at this point. I feel like I need to drop it. Really, the only subjects I can attempt to pick up instead is Visual Art. I talked to the Art teacher, as well as the IB coordinator, and they sympathize with me although they weren't too fond of the idea. The thing is, they've already had a fourth of their IB hours. I'm quite artsy, not just in this type of art. I'm a musician, and for anyone who has experience in this field, knows that there's a visual side to it as well. I can't really draw, but I have alot of ideas. Should I do it? How hard is Art at SL? Do you think it'll be too much?

Lastly, regarding maths. I'm in Standard level, and I think it's challenging. The thing is, I'd have to put in so much work to keep up at this pace. Plus, the teacher isn't that good. I'm not going to touch math, or the sciences at all after IB. Is it necessary to take standard level? I know some universities don't accept studies, but wouldn't they prefer points?

To be honest, I think switching three subjects would be too much. Our IB coordinator flinched when I even mentioned switching one. Even though I dislike Chemistry the most of these subjects, I'm also the most intimidated by Art. If I were to switch both Swedish and Math, i'd actually be able to focus on Chemistry and get along fine with it I think. But then again, I have no use for Chemsitry. Please, please, please help me! I know this is lengthy, but I'm really worried. I would appreciate any advice alot. I really don't know what to do. I have over the break to make this decision, that would be three weeks from now. I start on the 10th of January. Cliché or not: IB Survival, you

re my only hope! Thank you.

K so...

HL A1 English - Group 1

HL A1 Swedish - Group 1

HL History - Group 3

SL Bio - Group 4

SL Math - Group 5

SL Chem - Group 6

Can you take 2 A1 languages first of all and still get the diploma? You're missing your your group 2 which needs to be either A2 or B or AB initio, so can you possibly do A2 Swedish perhaps? Otherwise you're kind of stuck with dropping one of your languages down to A2, B, or AB initio.

I kind of guessed on which science was group4 and group6, since you kept talking about SL art replacing SL chem, that's your group 6. Now I have no idea what's offered for your group 6 but there are a total of 4 choices. Visual Art, Music, Theatre, and Film (all HL or SL). Sadly you are required to have a group6 which is either a 2nd science or one of those 4 :S

As far as SL Math goes, check out what universities you might apply too, or check a ton just to see what they think. Here in the US I know Math Studies and SL math have no difference because they are both SL and we don't get anything for SL classes, nor is any IB class a prerequisite. If you CAN and WANT to, fine drop to Math Studies, it's ridiculously easy (about equal to pre-calculus).

Lastly, the only big jump here is the group 6 change. Changing your language down to A2/B/ABinitio will be easy if you're already able to do A1. Dropping from SL Math to Math Studies is like dropping math altogether if you ask me, you can sleep half the class away, do your IA, study a bit from the book, and get a 7. Now, catching up on a semester of Art is umm difficult. What are you interested in doing after IB/in college? SL chem might be possible with some help (that's what we're here for :help:) and you're already done with half the curriculum...

• Like 1

K so...

HL A1 English - Group 1

HL A1 Swedish - Group 1

HL History - Group 3

SL Bio - Group 4

SL Math - Group 5

SL Chem - Group 6

Can you take 2 A1 languages first of all and still get the diploma? You're missing your your group 2 which needs to be either A2 or B or AB initio, so can you possibly do A2 Swedish perhaps? Otherwise you're kind of stuck with dropping one of your languages down to A2, B, or AB initio.

I kind of guessed on which science was group4 and group6, since you kept talking about SL art replacing SL chem, that's your group 6. Now I have no idea what's offered for your group 6 but there are a total of 4 choices. Visual Art, Music, Theatre, and Film (all HL or SL). Sadly you are required to have a group6 which is either a 2nd science or one of those 4 :S

As far as SL Math goes, check out what universities you might apply too, or check a ton just to see what they think. Here in the US I know Math Studies and SL math have no difference because they are both SL and we don't get anything for SL classes, nor is any IB class a prerequisite. If you CAN and WANT to, fine drop to Math Studies, it's ridiculously easy (about equal to pre-calculus).

Lastly, the only big jump here is the group 6 change. Changing your language down to A2/B/ABinitio will be easy if you're already able to do A1. Dropping from SL Math to Math Studies is like dropping math altogether if you ask me, you can sleep half the class away, do your IA, study a bit from the book, and get a 7. Now, catching up on a semester of Art is umm difficult. What are you interested in doing after IB/in college? SL chem might be possible with some help (that's what we're here for :help:) and you're already done with half the curriculum...

Hey, sorry. I realize I missed a couple of points. My courses weren't presented in the groups, that's why I didn't refer to them like that :) This is the last year they're actually offering A2 for the IB (at least in Sweden I think?Just what I've heard from my coordinator) so my coordinator decided to drop it all together. A2 would be the best choice, by far. Yeah, I'll lay out the subject choices we actually have at our school for you. Swedish (A1, B), English A1, Math (St, SL, HL) Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Geography, Visual Art, French (Ab, B), Spanish (Ab, B). I'm not sure what I want to do, I just know I won't be doing anything where the emphasis lies in Math or the Sciences :) Hope that clears things up. Thank you so much for replying!

You have to have a group2 class, so you're stuck in either Swedish B, French AB/B or spanish Ab/B. Have to pick one =/ Sorry

As for your chem/art/group6 choice, you've got either (assuming bio is group4) chem, physics, or visual Art. You have to make choices and yours are very limited sadly.

As far as the math goes, you still need to research some colleges and honestly you could wait til next year to pick because St and SL are both one year courses :help:

You have to have a group2 class, so you're stuck in either Swedish B, French AB/B or spanish Ab/B. Have to pick one =/ Sorry

As for your chem/art/group6 choice, you've got either (assuming bio is group4) chem, physics, or visual Art. You have to make choices and yours are very limited sadly.

As far as the math goes, you still need to research some colleges and honestly you could wait til next year to pick because St and SL are both one year courses :help:

Thank you for the help, but I think you're missing the point. I know what I can switch to, I've even laid out the options. Question is, should I? And if so, which ones? What are the repercussions?

Hmm I don't know how Art will go, but I'm saying that dropping SL Math to St and dropping from A1 Swedish to B will both be easy as heck and won't have much repercussions. You'll learn "less" in St and there's also the chance that colleges won't like your switch.

Art is where I don't know and honestly it's the part that has the potential for giant repercussions if you can't catch up in time. Then again, this is all SL stuff meaning you have another year. You could make SL chem a 7th subject meaning it doesn't affect your IB score or anything along those lines then take SL art next year and then you don't have to play catch up.

Still kind of telling you an option, but there's next to no repercussions with it.

Edited by Drake
  • Like 1

STOP talking about a 7th subject Drake! haha

Okeeey would you want me to be honest?

Through some considerations, I would suggest:

English A1 HL

Swedish B HL

History HL

Biology SL

Mathematics SL/Studies

Chemistry SL

I would really suggest dropping your Swedish to language B. Why? You are going to go abroad anyways.. A lot of people in my class whose first language is Indo are taking English A1 and Indo B HL. And they are not ashamed of doing their first language B, they have spoken English for years anyway..and they are aiming for abroad universities so of course they would prefer doing English A1.

I myself am not that fluent in English, though so I better play safe with Indo A1 and English B, get more IB points and take the TOEFL and IELTS. But anyways..

I believe Drake has mentioned this, you should have 1 group 2 subject so you should drop this to language B. Don't worry, it would be a piece of cake if you are from Swedish A1 HL and if it's your first language.

HAH ME TOO!!! I picked Chem because I can only choose Business, Chem or Visual Arts hahaha :help:

I don't need Business at all at uni so I'm not any interested in doing it.. I like Arts too actually, but same with you I cannot draw with my hands on a paper! I just like photo editing and graphic designing digitally. I also sing, btw. However I thought I might need Chem at uni so I end up doing Chem.

I would really suggest you to stick with Chem SL. My Chem teacher sucks too! Haha OMG! But then, too bad your school does not offer Business :S I'd suggest taking Business actually but never mind..

I am also struggling with my Chem. However I knew IBS would always be a source of help. So I managed to get a 6 this quarter, and even a 6+ in the semestral exam. If you are having trouble with Chem, just come to the help thread and we would try to help you.. Drake has always been helpful to me too :)

Then my artistic instinct is effectively used in my CAS :) I designed a calendar and I am joining the school choir. This way I can enjoy both Chem and Art. I would suggest you doing similar things to express your awesomeness in Art!

As for your Math, it really depends on what you want to study in uni. What do you want to study??? Business? Law? Music? Literature?

For Business I think most uni want you to take Math SL, Law I think SL or even HL, can't remember seriously.. Music probably SL too since it's quite related to Math? idk though, check with some uni. Lit maybe you can take Studies? idk idk idk, check with some unis you are likely to apply to. I would suggest staying in SL actually. What's your predicted grade in Math SL? If you get below 4 I would suggest dropping to Studies, then.

You may ask further questions if you have any doubt with anything.

EDIT:

You've made up your mind D: gaaah I came late! haha but anyways...

• Like 1