Do not discuss exams until 24 hours have passed. More information about the rules here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mals

4 in IA..what do to to get a 6 in HL?

I have a grade 4 in my chemistry internal assesment but my aim is to get a 6 in the final exam. I am just wonderin if that is possible. What should i do to be able to get a 6?

Honestly all you can do is just keep striving to do THE best in your paper1 2 and 3. Honestly if you get a 6-7 in all 3 you'll get a 6 easily :help: I don't remember the exact grading scheme but I'm sure the papers will outweigh the 4 by enough to make a total 6

According to IB grade boundaries 2010, for Chem SL:

4 in IA: 23-27/48

6 in final subject: 68-78/100

After some thorough calculations, to get a 6 in the final subject, you should score at least safe 6's or high 6's in your papers 1-3.

By safe 6's, I meant somewhere in the middle of the mark boundaries.

For example:

Paper 1:

6: 24-26/30

Safe 6: 25

Paper 2:

6: 27-30/40

Safe 6: 28-29

Paper 3:

6: 34-38/48

Safe 6: 36

According to IB grade boundaries 2010, for Chem HL:

4 in IA: 23-27/48

6 in final subject: 68-78/100

After some thorough calculations, to get a 6 in the final subject, you could just score low 6's in your papers 1-3.

Don't trust me? Calculate by yourself :blink:

Good luck!

... all of this overlooking the fact that Chemistry is a DEMON subject, so if you want a 6, aim for a 7 and cross your fingers xP After using them for extreme amounts of revision, that is...

Sandwich is absolutely right, i don't know much about chemistry ( all i know is, that i was impossibly hard for me even at IGCSE level :blink: ), but really, if you want to get 6's, aim for 7's. I did the mistake last year when i've set a goal for myself just to pass the Pre-IB year and i aimed for 4's, and i kept getting 3's because i underestimated everything...

Thank you so much for the calculation. now i know what i should do to be able to get the grades i want. this is very helpful :P

Thanks also for all the other suggestions from everyone else:) i guess i need to set a high bar if i have to get a 6 in chemistry but am sure i can.

Hypthetically, if someone gets a 0/48 for his internals (which is clearly impossible) and get 100% for his papers 1, 2, 3 he'll still be able to get a 6 (76% maximum, 4% away from a 7).

Don't calculate - just try your very best. Revise and make sure you know every single point in your syllabus. It is still possible to get a 6 but you must do extremely well in your externals.

:P