Case Study 2011

HELLO -_-

the case study for 2011 is out. it's called Reach Out.

I don't know if we can or can't, sooo....... can we discuss it in forums??

if yes, i'll be posting questions that might come in the exams. and hoping other people will help too :P

thank you!!

Edited by breenada3as

These are a list of questions that I've come up with (I am not a teacher nor do I work for the IBO nor have these been lifted from somewhere). There are no answers to these. Feel free to come up with answers and post them if you like. Once again, these are just guiding questions and have no bearing on what potential questions may be on Paper 1.

1. Prepare a STEEPLE analysis.
  2. Prepare a SWOT analysis
  3. Define business plan.
  4. What is a budget?
  5. What are final accounts?
  6. What are some sources of finance?
  7. What are short term loans? How do they differ from long term loans. Provide examples.
  8. What are directors in a firm?
  9. What is a firm? What are the different types of firms?
  10. What is limited liability? How does it differ from unlimited liability? Which is better to have?
  11. What is performance related pay (PRP)?
  12. What is a mission statement? What is the mission statement for "Reach Out"?
  13. How can social media help firms? Use concepts of marketing, public relations, advertising, branding etc.
  14. Define Unique Selling Point (USP). What is the USP for the PECS card?
  15. Define the concepts of revenue, costs and profit.
  16. What is a break-even point?
  17. What are Public Relations? How do they help a firm? Is PR beneficial?
  18. Define goodwill.
  19. Explain the difference between formal and informal communication.
  20. What is a profit and loss account? How does it diagnose a company's financial health?
  21. How might firms resolve disputes within a firm?
  22. Evaluate the three revenue generating options. Which is the most beneficial to the company?
  23. What is branding? How is it used to identify a company's corporate identity?
  24. What is corporate social responsibility?
  25. What is sponsorship?
  26. How might N-Pharma's corporate social responsibility benefit Reach Out?
  27. What is an economic recession? What follows an economic recession in the business life cycle?
  28. Using the cash flow statement, create a profit and loss account.
  29. At the end of August, after subtracting start-up costs, is the company making a surplus or a deficit?
  30. Is the business model sustainable?
  31. What is a laissez-fair management style? Differentiate it from the other management styles?
  32. If you were the business's owner, what would you do to expand the business? Which option would you choose? Explain.
  33. Which company should Reach Out use to make the PECS cards?
  34. Should the business fire Andrew Grandin?
  35. Was it ethical to hire Andrew? Was it ethical to capitalize on his disability? Will it be ethical to fire Andrew?

• Like 6

Hey! My mock exam is on the 9th, and I don't understand the fishbone diagram...

If anyone can explain it to me, and how it's used, I'd really appreciate it :P

Also, as for the possible questions that may come up:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to Reach Out for remaining a charity?

2. Identify any communication barriers between staff in Reach Out

3. Suggest what type of pricing method Reach Out should use if the PECS cards were produced

4. How can Reach Out appeal to a wider audience?

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Family Branding to Reach Out?

6. Identify and Explain 2 other organisational planning tools that Reach Out could have utilised.

These are questions that I scribbled down on my copy, and are the only ones that are coherent, so I hope they're useful! :(

Thaanks x

• Like 2

these are the questions, i came up with for the parts before - RAISING REVENUE

1- What is the difference between the public and private sector?

2- What is a public private partnership?

3- What is a prospectus?

4- What is self employed?

5- What is a charity?

6- What is the difference between a charity and a business operating in the private sector?

7- Is a short term loan considered to be a suitable form of finance in this case?

8- Examine the advantages of setting ethical objectives. (6 marks)

9- What are the Final accounts?

10- Define mission statement?

11- Define vision statement?

12- Define Unique Selling Point “USP”

• Like 1

Probably most likely gonna ask to evaluate the 3 options given and choose the best one and why. Personally, I think Laura is retarded for going on vacation during problems, hiring an autistic guy and then disagreeing with Neil for option 3 (which imo is the best one). Her reasons are invalid as she says she doesn't want to associate with a company who are simply doing it for CSR as it's unethical, yet she hired Andrew for those same reasons. Neil should take over and fire her. it's unethical to use people has PR...

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Business and Management HL

Mathematics SL

English A1 SL

French Ab initio SL

• Like 2

Probably most likely gonna ask to evaluate the 3 options given and choose the best one and why. Personally, I think Laura is retarded for going on vacation during problems, hiring an autistic guy and then disagreeing with Neil for option 3 (which imo is the best one). Her reasons are invalid as she says she doesn't want to associate with a company who are simply doing it for CSR as it's unethical, yet she hired Andrew for those same reasons. Neil should take over and fire her. it's unethical to use people has PR...

haha, glad I found someone with the same opinion. All the kids in my class think so too. Personally, I think Laura is being a hypocrite when she "dislikes" the third option and being connected with a CSR activity, but honestly isn't she doing something similar by hiring Andrew? And she shouldn't have any problem with Option #3 if it doesn't pose any serious problems, especially since the extra free money should help a lot in their mission for subsidized PECS cards.

On that note, maybe some questions about mission statement and vision statement might come up.

Edited by chobap
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! My mock exam is on the 9th, and I don't understand the fishbone diagram...

If anyone can explain it to me, and how it's used, I'd really appreciate it :)

Also, as for the possible questions that may come up:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to Reach Out for remaining a charity?

2. Identify any communication barriers between staff in Reach Out

3. Suggest what type of pricing method Reach Out should use if the PECS cards were produced

4. How can Reach Out appeal to a wider audience?

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Family Branding to Reach Out?

6. Identify and Explain 2 other organisational planning tools that Reach Out could have utilised.

These are questions that I scribbled down on my copy, and are the only ones that are coherent, so I hope they're useful! :yes:

Thaanks x

Hey !

So did you have mocks in Business and how did it go?

What questions did you get?

Kind regards,

Dee-Wan

Has anyone else noticed how Option 1 doesn't mke sense?

It says that Neil is considering raising the prices from $25 to $30. Neil believes that this would help increase motivation of the students, while doubling the revenue for Reach Out. HOW??

If the revenue for Reach Out doubles, it means that they are taking $10, and therefore the students still get paid $20. This will not increase their motivation because they are still getiing the same amount of pay.

There is likely to be a question on this "mistake".

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed how Option 1 doesn't mke sense?

It says that Neil is considering raising the prices from $25 to $30. Neil believes that this would help increase motivation of the students, while doubling the revenue for Reach Out. HOW??

If the revenue for Reach Out doubles, it means that they are taking $10, and therefore the students still get paid $20. This will not increase their motivation because they are still getiing the same amount of pay.

There is likely to be a question on this "mistake".

RIGHT!!! i've been trying to figure it out :)

i think it was written on purpose to show how Neil's option 1 isn't the right one. and how he analyzed the situation wrongly.

you can add that to your answer if they asked you to compare which is the better option

I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of Andrew's fascination with trampolines. Necessary detail.

Aside from that I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet but isn't it kind of unethical/incorrect to label a business a charity when Neil receives commission?? Seems odd.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...