Maths topics that you just don't like

Abu

i found vectors moderate in difficulty when it comes to understanding the material, but solving the questions could be tricky and very time consuming... speaking of which i have serious issue regarding managing my time on tests and end up leaving out a question or two even though i know the answer :P

OH! as to the topic i hate its probability its REALLYYYYYYY LOOOOOOONG AND CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!

Haven't really got to probability yet, still early in the year for me. I don't know if it was because it got me as the vacations were wearing off or if the teacher wen't too fast for my math experience but i found logarithms mind boggling. Not the real easy ones but the kind of logs you do as you integrate complex exponents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

all right, first off, standard deviation is hard to get, true, but once you get it it's a piece of cake. It goes something like this: standard deviation is an approximation used to set a percentage of something contained between a certain distance. For example, if you have a graph as a bell curve, i hope you know what that is, then one standard deviation from the center to both sides would contain 67% of the data. let me explain more: imagine 100 people take a test, you get a graph and put, on the x axis, the score, and the y axis the number of peple with the score. what generally happens is that you have a lot of Cs so if you plot o the X axis A B C D F then you would see that at both ends its really small and then at the middle its really big. All standard deviation is, is the "factor of proportionality", kind of like saying "how spread out were the results". See if ONE standard deviation is really far off from the middle, then that means that the test was pretty even, but if its really close to the middle, then it means most people got Cs and the rest on the sides.

As far as probability goes...well that subject is extremely hard in all levels.

If you really want to know more about standard deviation just send me a message and ill post up some sketches of what i'm talking about.

• 3 years later...

Hmmm...statistics maybe? The reason is because we have a lot of statistics in IB, but I still don't feel I get most of it because we are suppose to use the calculator or formulas to get the answers. I think I'd like it more if we had less of it, but learned it more thoroughly.

• 2 months later...

Totally hate statistics too, partially the same reason as chrypton. I didn't get to it yet in HL but last year in SL I can't remember doing a single things in stats without a calculator and I never had a clear idea of what we were actually doing. Plus conceptually it doesn't seem very fun rather boring actually. Learning stats again later could change my mind.

Nothing was really that bad for me...Although I didn't know how to use binomial distribution, and did not even know what normal distribution was until the exam.

... How did my math year go again? o_0

Calculus was generally easy to learn when i learned it.

Functions was straight forward.

Matrices was a joke. Unit score 90

I fell down in probability. I forget why... I think it was because of not being able to express conditions in the right expressions... Unit score 60+

Got kicked in the face in statistics... ^^^ until I sat down and learned it Unit score 50+

Vectors actually wasn't that bad actually, me and 2 of my buddies got together and learned did most of the revision package together ...Unit score 80

Thank god I pulled it together. Overall math wasn't that bad, didn't really hate anything... just moderately disliked some of it

• 6 months later...