Most memorable book you have ever read?

wombat123

What is the most memorable book you have ever read, and why? It doesn't have to necessarily be a good book, but the one that left the darkest mark on you.

I have quite a few, but one of the most prominent of mine was called My Brother Bernadette. It was one of the first chapter books (despite the humongous font) that I read and really enjoyed.

Most memorable, probably The Magus by John Fowles as an adult (or at least 'more' adult). As a child without question it is a book I don't recall the name of of a little girl who tells lies and eventually dies in a terrible house fire because the fire brigade don't believe her when she rings them, desperate to get out the house. Instead, in a graphically illustrated chapter, she burns to death in the fire.

I tell you what, you don't need god or anything else to give you morality and a knowledge of consequences, just read your kid Mathilda or whatever it was and they'll be scarred for LIFE. I damn well didn't need god to freak me out about immorality after that!

Not a book but I read parts of the IKEA catalogue which was is in itself quite boring but realising I was reading the most read piece of printed text on the face of the planet, mass produced furniture and its details exposed to more than 500 million people, that really marked me, how I was immersed in the world of market goods and advertising just like everybody else in the world. I felt quite small in a very odd way.

J.D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye

George Orwell - 1984

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings

I like all of these. Although, the Catcher in the Rye tries too hard to be what it can never become.

I love classical literature and some more modern literature, however overall Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry is the most *memorable* book I have ever read.

The alchemist by Paulo Coelho. his ideas and philosophy is just so intriguing. I really want to have a nice debate with him some day about life and everything @_@

also nous les dieux by bernard werber was fantastic. Was a very interesting way story line and way of conveying the story

Hey in keeping with the above post.... I totally agree Achemist is an outstanding book.. and definitely has an outstanding underlying message..

I belive any 'good' book can teach you a lot specially a book on someones experience ..

1)Anne Frank... had a great deal of insight into teenagers life .. and how mature this 13 yr old girl was.

2) winners never cheat is an outstanding book taking us back to our moral virtues by Jon huntsman

3) Catcher in the Rye was also really good... and I could relate to it quite well

4) Surely your Joking Mr. Feynman... was an amazing .. and got me all curuious and interested to pursue science

5) Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier was another book ... the more deeper on on this list .. which had quite an impact on me... great book

Well ... these are just some of the books ive read recently and are on the top of my mind... but there are great loads of books there and the main fact is one should inculcate a habit to read .. :-)

Hey in keeping with the above post.... I totally agree Achemist is an outstanding book.. and definitely has an outstanding underlying message..

I belive any 'good' book can teach you a lot specially a book on someones experience ..

1)Anne Frank... had a great deal of insight into teenagers life .. and how mature this 13 yr old girl was.

2) winners never cheat is an outstanding book taking us back to our moral virtues by Jon huntsman

3) Catcher in the Rye was also really good... and I could relate to it quite well

4) Surely your Joking Mr. Feynman... was an amazing .. and got me all curuious and interested to pursue science

5) Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier was another book ... the more deeper on on this list .. which had quite an impact on me... great book

Well ... these are just some of the books ive read recently and are on the top of my mind... but there are great loads of books there and the main fact is one should inculcate a habit to read .. :-)

Lol The Alchemist sucks and sucked, it's not an outstanding book (unless you like to lick the slobber off the floor).

Sid1729 your post was very nice but OP asked for the most memorable read you have booked, not the last 5 damn books you read. Philosophical endings like "the main fact is one should inculcate a habit to read" would be improved by reading enough to comprehend the meaning and usage of the word "inculcate", or better yet, would be greatly improved by being omitted entirely.

I like all of these. Although, the Catcher in the Rye tries too hard to be what it can never become.

"the catcher in the rye tries too hard to be what it can never become" that's nice and literary-sounding, can you explain to me what the book "tries" to be (books being inanimate objects, as far as i know) and why it can never "become" this mystical thing?

Otherwise please cut the crap. Do you seriously believe that at the age of (hopefully) at most 18 you have the competence or authority to denigrate a novel of such significance and achievement?

Edited by Daedalus

Lol The Alchemist sucks and sucked, it's not an outstanding book (unless you like to lick the slobber off the floor).

Otherwise please cut the crap. Do you seriously believe that at the age of (hopefully) at most 18 you have the competence or authority to denigrate a novel of such significance and achievement?

:P

• Like 3