Most memorable book you have ever read?

wombat123

If I were forced to choose one, it would be East of Eden by John Steinbeck. But The Little Prince, 1984 (and basically all those other dystopian novels: Brave New World, Player Piano, Darkness at Noon etc.) and Crime and Punishment (<3 Dostoyevsky) come pretty close as well.

As a child, my most memorable book would've been Roderick Townley's The Great Good Thing--it's a short novel about characters in a children's story; one a them, Sophie, is very adventurous, and wants to know what goes on outside of the pages of her book. It's actually quite a cute little story, and I fully intend to read it to any children that should come to my immediate family. The book from school that stuck with me the most is definitely John Wyndham's The Chrysalids. It just keeps you wondering! The major questions are all answered very well, and there's nothing left open about the plot or anything--don't get the wrong idea that way--but I still wonder about the smaller things, the 'why's, the 'when's, and such. Recently, the most memorable was Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Gah, I hate Anna with a passion, but loved the conflicts she brings to the table. I could work up very little sympathy for her, unlike Karenin--actually, initially Karenin seems a bit a jerk, and Anna had my affections; Vronsky is cool, but I think Oblonsky is my favourite character. I had planned to do my EE on a certain aspect of it, but I think I've changed my mind. Still, the book remains a personal favourite.

Not a book but I read parts of the IKEA catalogue which was is in itself quite boring but realising I was reading the most read piece of printed text on the face of the planet, mass produced furniture and its details exposed to more than 500 million people, that really marked me, how I was immersed in the world of market goods and advertising just like everybody else in the world. I felt quite small in a very odd way.

Uhm, I love you. :sadnod::)

The alchemist by Paulo Coelho. his ideas and philosophy is just so intriguing. I really want to have a nice debate with him some day about life and everything :D

also nous les dieux by bernard werber was fantastic. Was a very interesting way story line and way of conveying the story

I haven't read this one, but I read a collection of his short stories and musings in French which I found fascinating and captivating, called... Mm, I think it was "Le fleuve qui coule" ou quelque chose comme cela. Je ne suis pas certaine. Je l'ai dans mon étagère, mais il ferait trop d'effort pour le chercher. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Flatland - Edwin Abbot

A book that can be considered mathematic, but has an extremely interesting way of satirizing victorian society, while explaining the fourth dimension.

As a math lover, I'll say this is by far my favorite book.

Edited by Alan

My most memorable book from early readings, is Spellhorn. It was the second full novel I read, after Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (yes I started from the 3rd). Well actually, I read some short stories like Black Beauty, and Huck Finn for school before that but I don't remember finishing them :)

So anyway! It was a perfect 2nd book to read, because I was into the whole escapism of crappy life sort of thing at that age.

I remember the description of a world only available to this blind girl where she becomes powerful, while in reality she had a disability. Starvaganza city of masks was also along the same theme. Both child's novels I treasure.

Although 100 years of solitude is the best novel of my favourite writer, my favourite of his is the Chronicle of a death foretold. Also much more memorable (the incidents in it) as your brain is just screwed over by the many Jose Arcadios and Aurelianos.

Marcus your post made me laugh :)

Alice your post made me feel a little sympathy.

Daed, your post did what it was trying to do :)

I can't be bothered to quote you people!

• 3 months later...

Personally A life of pi by yan martel really stuck with me! the ending totally caught me off guard and really made me think. Of course 1984 and catcher in the rye are really memorable as well

Ooooooh, I've read A life of Pi. Great book!

I like the Count of Monte Cristo. Reeally, really good story about a man who has everything taken away from him, yet in the end he manages to get back at his conspirators, those people who put him, an innocent man into prison. I'd recommend this book to everyone. It's a really inspiring story that appeals to many different ideals. A story about love, passion, and the importance of education, this story is sensational.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo

Edited by nαmetαken

The more I have to read "Waiting for Godot" the more highly I think of it (Although its technically not a book...its a play) - Made that mistake in an English in class essay. Oh "Les Miserables unabridged" was quite good in Grade 8 as a challenge although most of it went over my head.

• 3 weeks later...

Very many. If I were forced to chose, I'd be really hesitating between Perfume: Story of a Murderer and The Picture of Dorian Gray, because those are the two books that amazed me the most so far. But there are many more, like One Hundred Years of Solitude, Dance, Dance, Dance, The Count of Monte Cristo or Notre-Dame of Paris.

• 1 month later...

The most memorable for me is probably Looking for Alibrandi or Saving Francesca, both by Melina Marchetta. They are amazing, and I recommend them to everybody. I also loved The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I cried, laughed, and completely absorbed myself in it. Definitely worth the reads :). Oh, and as sarahlouise said, To Kill a Mocking Bird is also pretty high on my 'memorable' list :P

Edited by ChikkyD