Most memorable book you have ever read?

wombat123

• 4 months later...

Am I crazy?? But my absolute favorite is Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys... I don't know what does it have, but it's been a few weeks since I finished it and I still feel that hole in the stomach, the voices of the characters echo in my head, and I can feel the despair and impotence of the main characters as my own. It obsesses me even in my dreams, it's really killing me!

Another book that marked me was Woman at Point Zero by Nawal Al Saadawi... i read this book in one evening and when I finished it I was shaking... Was the most memorable book I read until I read sargasso.

If you have the chance, read both of them!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen without any doubt.

What appeals to me about the book is that Elizabeth and not Jane is the heroine of the book who,unlike Jane, has faults- her pride AND her prejudice. The same goes for Mr. Darcy. I also love the fact that Mr. Darcy continues loving Elizabeth despite her social standing and her rejection to his proposal. It makes me believe in true love that lasts forever, overcoming all hurdles.

The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe

It's a highly underrated and under read book - but the prose is absolutely stunning as is the story. The entire story is revealed in the blurb of my copy - it's the "autobiography" of a torturer's apprentice named Sevarian who eventually rises to be the Autarch, the ruler of the world.

But it's not so much the final objective which is interesting, but how the story is told - the matter of fact prose and sheer inventiveness of the plot make it such a memorable read.

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter. A mind-blowing treatment concerning subjects such as Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem, artificial intelligence and a variety of other interesting topics. Recommended read for anybody who is interested in math, computer science or philosophy.