Tips on getting a 7 in Economics SL

Hello all!

I'd like to know, particularly from candidates who have wrote Economics SL exams in the past and got 7's if there are any study habits or tips you'd be willing to share as I'm hoping to get a 7 in the class. Also, any tips on how to answer paper 1 questions and paper 2 questions would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard that spending more time studying two sections would be better than studying every section equally, so I've decided to focus mainly on Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. I've started to review Macroeconomics and on a later date review Microeconomics and just mainly review each section at different dates so the content stays ingrained in my head, rather than studying it all at once. I'm writing Economics SL Paper 1 and Paper 2 and May 2011, is this too early to begin studying?

What I'm worried about though is that I feel there is a lot of content to study. What concerns me more is that it all comes down to a a bitter four questions on paper 1.. any tips on memorization of content? Also would it be better to know the general concept of most of the important things or more details, but on less general important concepts.. if you know what I mean. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Economics is a subject where a 7 is not too difficult to get with some hard work (has one of the highest level 7 rates). I would highly recommend getting the course companion for economics (an amazing book) and reading it thoroughly. I, myself, focused on Micro, Macro, most of the topics in International Economics and got by just fine. Know some important topics in great detail and get the general idea of some others - after all you have choice on both papers. Try to do well on your commentaries - this will also help you in doing well on paper 2 where the questions are set up so you are basically writing a commentary. Besides this, memorize/understand definitions and just practice with past exams.

Edited by master135

Memorizing definitions for me was the best way of studying. That way, you can begin to answer a question by first defining it clearly and then expanding on that definition. Always include real life examples when possible, even if the question doesn't ask for it.

They say it's never too early to begin studying but 5 or so months is much too early for me, but if that works for you then do it. I would just make sure I had my notes in order and maybe start practicing drawing and memorizing graphs because they are so important but are so easy to forget to put much emphasis on.

What I did for my exams was only study micro, macro and international and I completely disregarded development. I knew the 3 topics I did so well though that I felt extremely comfortable doing this because I could answer any question (except balance of payments - never did get that through my head) on any of those topics. There was no problem with me doing this but of course I'm not recommending it. Paper 1 most always has one question from each topic and paper 2 devotes one or 2 questions to each topic. Paper 3 is usually the really awful one (I find) but since you're SL you don't need to worry about it so I'm sure you'll succeed in getting a 7 if you're already so diligent :D

Thanks to both of you for the tips :D verry helpful! Yes, I'll be making a booklet with a definition of all terms pertaining to each section with notes for each section. I'll also be making a graph booklet for graphs as well. The only reason I've started now is basically to memorize things early and continue to come back to it at separate dates so the information stays ingrained in my system for long periods rather then memorizing/studying it all once and forgetting it later .Thank you again for the feedback guys ;)

Edited by -Carl