Universities that REALLY like IB students.

JustAnotherAsian

In Canada, most do treat IB kinda a bonus, using it to give you course credits only after you've been accepted. But there are some that factor it in determining scholarships or early admission.

One of the best for IB in Canada is the UoA. They'll look at each of your subjects, see whether your regular or your IB mark is higher, then take the higher of the two in formulating your overall average.

Most universities pretty much overlook the IB diploma and only use it for determining credit, espicially in Canada. Anybody know any schools that really like IB diploma students. I know SFU really likes IB students.

Use the drop down box, pick your country and BAM! There's another page with another drop down box full of goodness.

List of Universities that Recognize IB Diplomas

Hope I helped!

Edited by EccentricPianist
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

UBC.

They dig IB. I got accepted really fast (in the first week of December), with the only condition being "24 points on your IB Diploma" (ie. actually get a diploma)

Oh and they gave me a little scholarship money. Which I did not apply for.

UBC accepts the most IB Diploma students in the world apparently. They definitely accept lots from my school. And its also an amazing uni so... give it a shot?

• 2 weeks later...

UBC.

They dig IB. I got accepted really fast (in the first week of December), with the only condition being "24 points on your IB Diploma" (ie. actually get a diploma)

UBC accepts the most IB Diploma students in the world apparently. They definitely accept lots from my school. And its also an amazing uni so... give it a shot?

Im planning on applying there. Out of curiosity can you tell me your grades so i can judge mine based on yours? Thank you:)

• 3 weeks later...

UBC.

Im planning on applying there. Out of curiosity can you tell me your grades so i can judge mine based on yours? Thank you:)

Err at the time I applied I had a pretty good accum. gpa like 3.9

but I think as long as you're passing your ib courses/have good predicted grades then you have a decent shot

for example there are only about 40 students in my year, 7 applied to UBC and 4 have been accepted thus far...

• 3 weeks later...

The Public Oregon Universities like it a lot! They all give sophomore standing (skip a year) to those who score 30+ (with 5s or higher in every subject). Also, Pacific University in Oregon does the same. Overall, however, IB is grossly underestimated and misunderstood by universities. It sucks but it is beginning to change.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the UK it depends on how switched on that department is within the University. Generally most people know what it is, some people don't, and you can get some really crazy very very disadvantageous totally un-equivalent offers (...like a B in A Level Maths and a 6 in HL Maths!!). I think London Universities do tend to be a lot better at knowing what it is, but I had one (non-London) interview where I had to explain actually what the IB was to the people interviewing me, and prove that HL Bio & Chem meant I wasn't behind A Level kids, so yeah.... pretty **** IB reception.

It's almost always more advantageous to have done A Levels in the UK though, I think that's a pretty acceptable general rule. It's harder to get the grades if you take IB relative to A Levels, even if they give you an offer, and you also have more spare time to do extra-curricular activities in/have a life.

Guest Red XII

UMich absolutely loves the IB - they're one of its biggest advocates in the US and are among the most generous in giving credit for IB exams (they were one of the first to recognize them for credit).

I've heard of a few universities that will grant sophomore or junior status to IB Diploma holders, but I can't recall which.

Most reputable US universities consider IB to be the most rigorous coursework possible, either more rigorous than or as rigorous as a massive number of APs.

I feel terribly disappointed that UBC medical school does not accept international application.... Only permanent residents of Canada are eligible to apply, either as Canadian citizens or permanent residents. (Gloomy)

You should know that that's the least of your problems. You need a bachelor's/undergraduate degree first before being eligible to apply to any medical school in Canada. There is a workaround to the permanent resident clause if you're willing to complete your undergraduate education in Canada too.