Universities that REALLY like IB students.

JustAnotherAsian

Florida State University LOVES IB!!!! :)

Just for recieving your IB diploma, FSU grants the student

30 credits without any placement exams, testing out of classes, etc.

Basically, as a Freshmen at FSU next year, I will really be starting as a Sophomore :)

Thanks IB :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UMich absolutely loves the IB - they're one of its biggest advocates in the US and are among the most generous in giving credit for IB exams (they were one of the first to recognize them for credit).

I've heard of a few universities that will grant sophomore or junior status to IB Diploma holders, but I can't recall which.

Most reputable US universities consider IB to be the most rigorous coursework possible, either more rigorous than or as rigorous as a massive number of APs.

There are a few states (off the top of my head there's Florida, Texas, and Colorado) that will accept students with IB diplomas as sophomores in any state college.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the university of British Columbia loves IB students. I agree that most Canadian Universities couldn't care less, but UBC does. They sent a rep to my scool in Ontario to scout out future kids and give them scholarships. They spoke only with IB students. They also explained that once all of their applications are in, they seperate them into "IB kids" and "Not IB kids". Then they give IB kids 1st priority, even when it comes to scholarships, then look at everyone else. Thats why I want to go there (being a Canadian IB kid and all). Also, the University of Toronto unfortunelty is the more ignorant of IB kids out of like every college or university anywhere -.-. Waterloo takes it into account, but not nearly as much as UBC.

Basically I decided unless I got a year off for doing the IB program, I wasn't going to that university. So, for Canada, the universities I found that allowed me to do this were: University of Winnipeg, Simon Fraser, Acadia University, Mount Allison University, Saint Mary's University, and Cape Breton University. Acadia gave me a scholarship reserved for IB students, so basically without their affinity for IB kids, I'd be broke and a year older when I graduated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sort of a necro/bump:

I'm going for university of calgary. I'm studying in Hong Kong, but am a Canadian citizen.

30 IB points gets you into the SUCCESS program, where you get guaranteed residence for how ever long you study at UoC, earlier entry into courses, summer access to facilities, discounts on books and such.

35 IB points = $3500 scholarship, and of course the more points the more money, with a limit of $8570. I already have a 39 predicted excluding EE TOK, but my financial state (my parents, that is) does not allow me to go to the US, UK or Australia/NZ, so Calgary I believe is the best choice for me

I really think they love the IB. Hell, a lot of canadian unis love the IB, such as Alberta, simon fraser, etc.

Ughh some top notch unis for med in AUS require minimum ATAR (australian tertiary application rank) of 99.90+ out of 99.99 when IB 45 equates to 99.90. This is truly f***ed because this means that IB is pretty much overlooked!! State exams are much easier than IB so I don't understand how an IB45 is lower than their maximum mark. I know a person who got rejected with a 45 because there were too many people with a 99.99 that pushed her down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tulsa University in Oklahoma is one of the few universities in the US to give credit for both SL and HL courses. I go to one of two schools in Oklahoma that provide the IB Diploma Program, so the president of the university along with an admissions officer came to my school to encourage the IB students to apply. From what they told us, students with the IB Diploma can start off as a sophomore based on their scores.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the university of British Columbia loves IB students. I agree that most Canadian Universities couldn't care less, but UBC does. They sent a rep to my scool in Ontario to scout out future kids and give them scholarships. They spoke only with IB students. They also explained that once all of their applications are in, they seperate them into "IB kids" and "Not IB kids". Then they give IB kids 1st priority, even when it comes to scholarships, then look at everyone else. Thats why I want to go there (being a Canadian IB kid and all). Also, the University of Toronto unfortunelty is the more ignorant of IB kids out of like every college or university anywhere -.-. Waterloo takes it into account, but not nearly as much as UBC.

Agreed, UofT is horrible when it comes to IB!

Some administration do not even know what IB stands for... others have expressed anti-IB views to me. -.-

This was at the open house.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, UofT is horrible when it comes to IB!

Some administration do not even know what IB stands for... others have expressed anti-IB views to me. -.-

This was at the open house.

I would question this. I'm currently studying at an international school in South America where I will graduate with an IB diploma AND a US High School Diploma. However, when U of T came to visit our campus, they only wanted to speak with IB students. Also, when me and others asked about grades, they only referred to our IB predicted grades.

At the same time, it may differ in regards to international and domestic students. I guess for international they want a common ground to compare all students from around the world. I went to a school in Vancouver where I was in gr 10 and going into the IBDP there before I moved, and I noticed that the school let a lot of things slide and inflated IB grades dramatically. I won't go into specifics but guidelines for internal assessments were broken (especially for second languages) to give students special advantages and scale their IB grades. I'm sure not all schools are like this, but this might be why some don't take the IB from domestic schools so seriously anymore; results don't compare with performance?