Catching New IB Students - Ideas?

Graeme

I couldn't agree more. A lot of what make IB hard is having to deal with everything else along with the program. College apps, teachers, stress..... the list goes on :)

I think having links or pages dedicated to talking about how to get through that other stuff would also help retain IB students. I know a lot of my friends gave up on the program because they couldn't cope.

I didn't think Standard was too hard at all. But then a lot depends on the teacher . . .

• 1 month later...

IB is hard but it's not impossible. Well i find that who you get as a teacher makes a big difference. Sometimes if ur not lucky & get someone that doesn't teach ur pretty much doomed unless you can self-study. Also if you're playing games i suggest you quit because you'll time that time passes really quick in IB so if you don't use every min you'll end up failing.

• 1 month later...

I think it would be helpful to have a page about how to get into college.

Maybe with the timeline that they should follow. Deadlines of really big scholarship awards.

A listing of good colleges with small comments from people that went there saying what is good and not about it.

Ummm... a page on how to transition successfully from high school into higher education?

How to ace the college interview...

Tips on writing admissions essays...

There are sites that talk about how to do these things, but I though it might be interesting to have it from an ib student standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
Wrong! They SHOULDN'T have 3 sciences if they want to go into medicine. Biology HL + Chemistry HL and Maths SL is all they need but it depends on the country. Some don't even want you to take chemistry at high level. So I'm sure they don't want you to take all 3 sciences to go into medicine.

Anyhow, the idea is good. We could give the recommended subjects for different fields in different countries.

Some courses at certain Uni requires all three sciences. But that would mean you have to do 7 subjects instead of six, and to be quite honest I think that's extremely hard because you'll have to have all three sciences at HL level (if you're doing a language and an anticipated subject at SL and either english or maths at SL).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This forum does come up a lot of the time on google, so yeah most people read the advice, I know people at school definately do. As for the advice pages thing, you could get yourselves into a very large project- I mean its a great idea but if you tried to include everything suggested then you would end up with a huge website, although that wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if you look at how many A level help sites there are. It is soo difficult to find information about the IB or any advice on subjects (difficulty) other than at school.

Of course this forum is an exception. :):)

I dunno if ideas are still being taken in, but having some sort of IB wiki where all IB knowledge can be collected sounds like a neat idea to me, especially since I love wikis. Everyone can contribute in and it would be unique, and it could link to any other resource or useful site, so that way you sort of end up with a nice comprehensive IB knowledge database, of course, after much work. Could even be counted as CAS hours, who knows :)

Edited by TidusBlade

Yeah well every wiki does suffer from that but then if an article is not accurate or contains misleading information, it could be tagged appropriately. There are also measures, mainly to improve it, like talk pages and knowledgeable admins/mods so I can't imagine that being a huge problem, but then of course, misleading info has been pretty destructive in the past...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I like the idea also! I think it'd be really great to have a blog or some webpages about the IB. It'd be really good to help other people out. I know I would have loved something like this when I was starting my IB!

I also think the subject requirements would be good for each country as well! Because that can get really confusing and creates added stress. I'm sure I can contribute to something once I'm done with final exams!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The site has a good brand, format, and growing user-community. The Links and Files sections are great and can help answer most questions that aren't suited for the forum threads. One of the strengths of the IB school where I work (and was once a student) is the continuity of alumni who can add their perspective to all things IB. Pulling in former IB students, educators, etc will improve the site. A weakness I see of this site is it is seriously lacking the "International" component of IB. No matter what language you write the IBs in, everyone is responsible for the same content. Having a stronger representation of international IB students will add a tremendous amount of depth and importance to this site.

Last but not least I'd like to plug the Race Rocks ecological reserve, a satellite to the main Lester B. Pearson College of the Pacific's campus. www.racerocks.com is a completely free, award-winning educational website with tremendous multimedia resources and content generated by IB students.

Well, I don't know how much use this'll be but last year, i wrote a guide for new IB students which was published in this school guide. It's a bit rough and I think looking back, I'd probably change a bit. But i'll attach it anyway.

Hahaha me and my mates have been working on a pretty long guide for the new ib students that start next august. When we finish it, I'll upload it. It clarifies many doubts we had when we were the new ones.

Great minds think alike

Our school's diploma students hold an annual one day conference (with delegate manuals) for new MYP students, and it usually turns out pretty successful because the grade 9s now know some seniors, and they have a better idea of what's coming up.

Also, our school only takes diploma students who have gone through the MYP program, which really prepares them well.

So I guess that ^ is a suggestion for other schools to also do to help out with easing new IB students into the program?

Now to the original forum topic... I think it's a great idea :) I don't have any constructive ideas to add at the moment, but I will have something to add soon!

• 1 month later...

hehe just lure them in with this catchy tune smile.gif

Out of all the tik tok parodies i have heard, this one is the most interesting, even more so then the halo reach beta tik tok parody, which was really something lol.

Overuse of autone = lose melody, but the lyrics were sooo true :P

• Like 1