Is this physics extended essay idea good?

nametaken

OK...it's my third ever post on this site....so please be kind!!

This is my idea for the extended essay (physics): I was thinking of reproducing some of the classic Doppler experiments using sound waves. This experiment that I have in mind, involves finding someone with a loud car stereo, having them play a sine wave of known frequency (the free sound editing utility Audacity can generate these in a format that can be saved as MP3's or .wav files to be burned to CD). I could stand on the side of the road recording the sine wave (Audacity, again) as the car is moving towards and away from the recorder at various speeds. Then I could analyze the recordings for frequency shift.

By calculating the expected shifts ahead of time I couldl get a good idea on how fast the car should be moving to get a measurable difference.

I realise that I would need a quiet stretch of road with no traffic to do this experiment, but that's not one of my problems, that immediately have sprung to my mind thus far. One issue that I have, is that I'm not sure whether this would be adequate for a 4000 word essay. I've practically just begun the IB course (we've covered the Doppler effect, digital technology, aspects of astrophysics, SUVAT equations), and I've only chosen the Doppler effect because its something which I'm quite familiar with. The idea actually was brought about by re-watching Back to the Future, and it sort of stemmed from there. Anyway, I'd like your opinions- do you think it is enough for a 4000 word essay and could you possibly suggest any other ideas if not for an extended essay relating to Physics?

Thank you for your help in advance.

:P

Edited by Derek

This actually sounds really neat. I don't really know too much about physics, but I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out something to do for my EE. I won't be taking my exams until may of 2012, but our teachers are starting to pressure us to figure out an idea! Our school doesn't have IB physics, we only have IB biology, but our teachers keep telling us that its one of the hardest topics, because there is a lot more too it! I assume its the same idea with all science courses, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having ENOUGH to write, I woulld be more concerned that it will be too much! Good luck!

This actually sounds really neat. I don't really know too much about physics, but I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out something to do for my EE. I won't be taking my exams until may of 2012, but our teachers are starting to pressure us to figure out an idea! Our school doesn't have IB physics, we only have IB biology, but our teachers keep telling us that its one of the hardest topics, because there is a lot more too it! I assume its the same idea with all science courses, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having ENOUGH to write, I woulld be more concerned that it will be too much! Good luck!

Thank you for your reply....the last time I asked a question I didn't get any replies. So thank you!!

:yes: I know how it feels, I have ideas for my essay, but I'm not sure what its suppossed to be like!

Your idea sounds really complicated and interesting, so its probably good though! i'm sure there is a lot to write about that! I thought 4,000 words was a lot, but really it isn't at all! I wouldn't be too worried about not having enough to write about!

Well ya doppler effect is a good topic. However what device are you using to measure the frequency that is received? In addition the car that is travelling would have to be travelling with constant velocity. That's as far as the physics book talks about. The situation would be more interesting if source and observer were moving, however that is not covered in the syllabus but you can do a bit of further reading to help you.

One concern that I have with the experiment is other sounds that might interfere. How will you stop that from happening?

Well ya doppler effect is a good topic. However what device are you using to measure the frequency that is received? In addition the car that is travelling would have to be travelling with constant velocity. That's as far as the physics book talks about. The situation would be more interesting if source and observer were moving, however that is not covered in the syllabus but you can do a bit of further reading to help you.

One concern that I have with the experiment is other sounds that might interfere. How will you stop that from happening?

What do you mean by 'the source and observer are moving'? Do you mean that the stereo (the source) is moving? The car will move at a constant velocity, on a really quiet road. Or I was thinking that maybe I could use a remote control car on which is mounted a miniature sound system down a silent corridor. I'm going to be recording the sound via a Dictaphone or maybe a mobile phone (I think that a Dictaphone is more suited to this task), and then use a piece of software that can convert the sound into wave form which shows the frequency. But please....can you clarify what you meant by 'source and observer moving'? It would be an extreme help.

Thank you.

what I mean is, Have you not noticed that in physics we only solve problems involving only one of the objects moving. It would either be the source that's moving or the observer. but never have we had to solve problems where by both the source and the observer is moving.

lets take for example your situation. The car is the source and the Dictaphone is the observer so to say because it is the one receiving the sound waves. Now in your situation the car is the emitter of the sound waves and is moving towards the Dictaphone. So the source is moving but the observer(Dictaphone) is not. Now what i was saying is the experiment would be a little more interesting if both the source(the car) and the observer(Dictaphone) were moving towards each other or away from each other. Well actually you could carry out any of the four tests. One with observer moving towards/away, one with observer moving towards/away, and one with observer and source moving away from each other or coming towards each other. But the the one in bold is not part of the physics syllabus so you would have to do further reading if you wanted that.

How will you ensure that the speed of the car is constant?

Are you sure a Dictaphone is a suitable device to carry out the experiment? im not sure just asking. :D

How about a spectrum analyzer to measure the frequency?

Edited by fan

what I mean is, Have you not noticed that in physics we only solve problems involving only one of the objects moving. It would either be the source that's moving or the observer. but never have we had to solve problems where by both the source and the observer is moving.

lets take for example your situation. The car is the source and the Dictaphone is the observer so to say because it is the one receiving the sound waves. Now in your situation the car is the emitter of the sound waves and is moving towards the Dictaphone. So the source is moving but the observer(Dictaphone) is not. Now what i was saying is the experiment would be a little more interesting if both the source(the car) and the observer(Dictaphone) were moving towards each other or away from each other. Well actually you could carry out any of the four tests. One with observer moving towards/away, one with observer moving towards/away, and one with observer and source moving away from each other or coming towards each other. But the the one in bold is not part of the physics syllabus so you would have to do further reading if you wanted that.

How will you ensure that the speed of the car is constant?

Are you sure a Dictaphone is a suitable device to carry out the experiment? im not sure just asking. :D

How about a spectrum analyzer to measure the frequency?

That would be interesting to explore further...I'm not completely sure how to ensure the speed of the car is constant. I've checked up a spectrum analyser...and it is quite expensive. I'm not sure my school has one.

Edited by Derek

No ya its way to expensive for you to buy one and I advise you not to waste money just for your EE. Your school should have one. Ours does and my school is not that great in technology and they still have one.

Do you not have a supervisor who can help you out in deciding which equipment would be appropriate. You do have a supervisor right?

No ya its way to expensive for you to buy one and I advise you not to waste money just for your EE. Your school should have one. Ours does and my school is not that great in technology and they still have one.

Do you not have a supervisor who can help you out in deciding which equipment would be appropriate. You do have a supervisor right?

Yes I do have a supervisor.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

Have you not asked your supervisor what equipment would be good to use? well that is all that i can think of at the moment.. But let me know how it goes.. How long do you have till you have to hand in the final?

Well.....I haven't had that discussion with my supervisor yet, but that's because we've only just begun our extended essay. I've got ten months from now till November.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in all honesty, EE is the one thing I didn't take seriously. I was aiming for a "Higher than E", lol. For what it's worth, EEs in subjects like math or physics can have even 2000 words. It's more about quality of content in these subjects.

On Topic:

Given that you would need a really quiet location, constant velocity for your vehicle, high-quality sound monitors, long straight stretches paths etc. I'd advise against this experiment. I don't have a better idea though, the best I've ever come to a physics EE is Design Your Tap. Check the topic and see what you can make of it. I'm not sure how good of a topic that would be but it is less prone to errors & complications compared to the current one you have. Ask your supervisor on what he thinks of it. Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Please can you help me with ideas for my Physics extended essay? I originally though up of this: but I'm not so sure about it now....Please can you help?? I feel slightly desperate as other people have come up with their ideas, but it seems like I'm the only one who hasn't yet.

Thank you, I appreciate any help you could give me!!!!

Take a look at this site:

http://production-app2.ibo.org/publication/19/part/4/chapter/21

IT should probably spark a few ideas. If it does write them all down and then later you can expand on them or cancel the ones that you don't like. If you do get ideas but are unable to develop them then post them here and il be glad to try leed you to the right direction.

If this doesn't help you, let me know and ill try see what else i can do.