Biology - Extended Essay

Markee

Hmm here's my opinion:

For the first one:

I like the idea of human physiology focus.

It seems a bit too simple..and I am not sure how you're going to turn that into a scientific research question. If you can use that as your base and develop that question into a better research, it will be awesome.

You could change it into another research dealing with digestion, though I don't know how you're going to measure the rate of digestion.

Why don't you do think of something like physiology of the hear, exercise...etc. For example something to do with blood pressure during exercise..watching a scary movie..etc..etc. I will give better suggestions when I think of them..but for the time being, think along the lines of heart/blood pressure/sugar levels...etc.

For the second one:

I am not sure how you're going to experiment that. To be honest with you, I don't know anything about hair growth depending on enzymes just yet.

A completely different suggestion is something environmental, or to do with germination in plants. A friend of mine did an EE on germination and got an A in it. But if you want to stick to human physiology, then think about what I said.

MAHA! I've finally got the response I needed from my supervisor, this is what she has told me:

This looks fine however I have the following concerns:

- the RQ is not very original

- the lab work is a good idea although the acid level of the stomach is pretty consistent so which variable are you actually changing?

- we know a lot about how enzymes affect the rate of digestion so you need to think of something that has much less research already out there

- you would not be allowed to digest meat in the lab I'm afraid

Human Physiology is fine and the use of a lab enables you to add more detail to the EE more easily but you must be as original as possible

I don't understand how is it not original? Could it mean when you told me before that it sounds too simple hence not being original? And, to be honest, I don't get what variable does she mean. . .and when she told me i need to think of something with less research already out there.

The RQ is not very original

Okay, the research question you posted was:

How does enzyme effect the rate of digestion/metabolism...?

Like I told you in the last post:

"It seems a bit too simple..and I am not sure how you're going to turn that into a scientific research question."

In other words, it just sounds like a class lab title and it's not really a research question..because in a way it's not 'research' if you know what I mean. We already know how enzymes effect the rate of digestion, so many people investigated that from grade 7 up to college and work(in medical field i mean).

The lab work is a good idea although the acid level of the stomach is pretty consistent so which variable are you actually changing?

That's another good point she pointed out which is why I said:

"though I don't know how you're going to measure the rate of digestion. "

I know it was going to be beakers and stuff, but it just confused me. I mean what are you trying to investigate? You RQ says 'effect of enzyme', does that mean you're going to investigate the rate of digestion with and without the enzyme? If so, then it's still way too simple and we already know the effect. If not, then I don't know what you're changing. You see what I mean?

We know a lot about how enzymes affect the rate of digestion so you need to think of something that has much less research already out there

Exactly what I pointed out above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay now since that didn't seem to be a good idea, how about thinking about what I said:

"It seems a bit too simple..and I am not sure how you're going to turn that into a scientific research question. If you can use that as your base and develop that question into a better research, it will be awesome.

You could change it into another research dealing with digestion"

Here's something you may want to look into:

Some people may need to have an organ removed as a result of a tumor or any other pathology that makes the organ useless. One of these organs is the pancreas. As you may have studied this organ produces a lot of the digestive enzymes.You could look at how these people will face problems with digestion of a substance X(depending on the enzyme) which as a result causes a lack of X.

So try thinking along those lines. It is to do with digestion, it involves an experiment, not too simple yet not too complicated. Therefore i you decided to go with something like this, we could help you out with more ideas.

If I thought of this idea back in IB I would have definitely done it.

EDIT:

Oh and if unis look at the EE topic, this will look amazing for you. Maybe you could even mention it in an interview or something, no?

Sweet. You know that last comment you posted on my EE, right? Saying something like still do RQ on Digestion which is on Pancreas, yeah? So does it mean, you recommend me or advice me to give up on my RQ on Enzymes affecting Digestion because of the fact that it isn't that original?

Neither actually, like i told you there, effect of enzymes on digestion is the general idea of the EE. I told you to put that general idea..into something more research like.For example, patients who undergo a Pancreatectomy will have a lack of certain basic enzymes

you can choose one of those enzymes and do your EE on it. Not sure its going to be as perfect as it would in medical facilities, but ask your supervisor. It may require a little more effort than more simple ones..but it sounds awesome to me haha.

However, it depends if your school has access to enzymes, i.e Amylase, Lipase, Pepsin, Trypsin at least those 4 if... OR test for lipid digestion by having lipase which is mainly secreted by the pancreas. Your research question could be something about how pancreatectomy patients will have to adjust their diet..etc since they may/will develop lack of lipids in their body, if you know what I mean?

Ahh, so I can still use Enzymes as the main idea for my EE, I just have to say, find a good RQ with Enzymes and Pancreas? - Will it turn out to be something like, what could happen to a person who loses those basic enzymes? It actually does sound exciting, which is actually firing me up to just bluntly push aside my other school works and focus on my EE. Haha! . . . (this is in response to your first few responses) . . .Response to your last comment - YES! That's exactly what I was thinking, well, with the lack of enzymes that is . . . This are all astonish ideas Maha. With a bit more of read-up on some of those bits, I might be able to create a scientific RQ. . .But what worries me is. . .The lab work. . . - Sorry Maha if I replied to slow, I was just taking all of what you are telling me in slowly . . . .

"what could happen to a person who loses those basic enzymes?"

We can make that sound a little more 'smarter'?

The first thing you have to do now is email your supervisor. Once you get the approval, we go into more details.

I will deal with that. Haha. I just need the right terms. So, in terms of Pancreatectomy right? Or when the pancreas has been taken out. "How does Pancreatectomy affect the person's digestion after losing 'the basic enzymes' that the Pancreas has sustained?"

I guess it could just be something like:

"To what extent would Pancreatectomy patients suffer from lack of certain substances?"

"certain substances": Could be replaced by Lipids or something like that if you decided to test for one substance

"suffer": you may want to find another word.

Ask Sandwich as well, she will be better in the wording.

• Like 1

I guess it could just be something like:

"To what extent would Pancreatectomy patients suffer from lack of certain substances?"

"certain substances": Could be replaced by Lipids or something like that if you decided to test for one substance

"suffer": you may want to find another word.

Ask Sandwich as well, she will be better in the wording.

"To what extent would Pancreatectomy patients suffer from lack of certain substances such as Lipids or Enzymes?"

uhm, the word suffer, is it in terms of enduring it or being in pain?

Suffer: enduring it, not pain.

And no, by lack of substances I mean lipids, carbohydrates and proteins. Enzymes do not count in this case.

When I say lack, I mean without pancreatic enzymes, substances like lipids or carbohydrates wont be absorbed by the small intestines, therefore the body wont get the amount it needs of them leading to a lack of carbohydrates or glyceride..etc

Suffer: enduring it, not pain.

And no, by lack of substances I mean lipids, carbohydrates and proteins. Enzymes do not count in this case.

When I say lack, I mean without pancreatic enzymes, substances like lipids or carbohydrates wont be absorbed by the small intestines, therefore the body wont get the amount it needs of them leading to a lack of carbohydrates or glyceride..etc

well then,

"To what extent would Pancreatectomy patients tolerate from lack of Pancreatic enzymes such as Lipids, Carbohydrates and Proteins?"

Looks like I'm just editing those parts XD Hahaha.

"To what extend would Pancreatectomy patiens tolerate the lack of lipids in their body?"

Something like that, I think choosing a specific substance is better. Lipids sounds like a good one to me since it's involved in so many processes in the human body such as steroid hormone synthesis!

The main problem with the title is that it still lacks an experimental aspect, unless I'm missing something. The extent to which somebody who's had their pancreas removed suffers a defceit of lipids isn't really something you can do an experiment on, it's more of a commentary. You can definitely find and look up a lot of research, but you can't really do your own.

Right good point.

But what I was thinking is, he could for example take something we normally eat that contains lipids and test how much of it would be digested without the pancreatic lipase, 10%, 40% or 50%..etc.

He was looking at the beginning at trying to use the effect of enzymes on digestion in a more scientific/experimental context. The only thing that came to my mind was lacking certain enzymes because of things like pancreatectomy.

Is there anyway to put this in another context?

• Like 1

So it IS still possible to push through with this? :)

GUYS! GUYS! I got the response from my supervisor

this is what she said:

This sounds like a very interesting RQ - my only concern is the ability to test this under lab condition as you had previously stated was an important aspect for you.

This again would be a research based EE - which is fine with me.

Prehaps you should come and see me at some point to discuss in more detail

At first I thought it would actually be a research based EE, but, when I saw your post, Maha, about the pancreatic lipase, I thought that is a great idea. But my concern is, I know the lipase, but how do I make a pancreatic lipase?! XD erm, if you guys don't mind, please respond soon as you can, cause I want to be able to give a clear idea to my supervisor when i meet her later on, I'll try to do some reading up on the pancreatic lipase and that.

THANKS YOU TWO! :)

That's really good!

Okay I believe pancreatic lipase is the main lipase, so if there's no pancreatic lipase then there's a really small amount of lipase. Perhaps try looking up the difference between pancreatic lipase and the lipase we get in the lab, also how much of the lipase used is pancreatic lipase. Say for example it's 90% pancreatic lipase, when there's not pancreatic lipase you're going to have 10% of the lipase only. So you could like use 10% lipase (diluted) and see how much of a measured mass of lipid is digested. Something like that, this isn't something I read in a book, it's just an idea I got. Since you're going to talk to her about this, suggest this and I am sure she's going to have a better idea.

That's really good!

Okay I believe pancreatic lipase is the main lipase, so if there's no pancreatic lipase then there's a really small amount of lipase. Perhaps try looking up the difference between pancreatic lipase and the lipase we get in the lab, also how much of the lipase used is pancreatic lipase. Say for example it's 90% pancreatic lipase, when there's not pancreatic lipase you're going to have 10% of the lipase only. So you could like use 10% lipase (diluted) and see how much of a measured mass of lipid is digested. Something like that, this isn't something I read in a book, it's just an idea I got. Since you're going to talk to her about this, suggest this and I am sure she's going to have a better idea.

YO! Finally was able to get the idea from my supervisor which is cool! :P

She told me that, we can make a model of the small intestine using a certain plastic bag which we then punch holes in it to replicate diffusion since that bag(or a visking tube) will be in a beaker wherein it will be filled with either fatty acid or glycerol and the tube will be filled with lipid and enzyme - then we will use a colorimeter to test out the acidity? I forgot what she exactly told me, but that's basically the idea. I just need to find out if the. . .those - is it acids or enzymes? I don't know >.< It has something to do with the results from those diffusions with (your idea of the different percentage of concentration of the lipid and enzyme) so we can get this quantitative visual result?

Sorry about this not being that clear, I am trying to say everything I was told to do especially researching if there are enough information about this experiment off the top of my head and with the drawing she made to show how we are going to accomplish the experiment.

That's great news. :)

But I don't understand the question in:

" I just need to find out if the. . .those - is it acids or enzymes? I don't know It has something to do with the results from those diffusions with (your idea of the different percentage of concentration of the lipid and enzyme) so we can get this quantitative visual result? "

It really is! XD I'm even more pumped up now!

" I just need to find out if the. . .those - is it acids or enzymes? I don't know It has something to do with the results from those diffusions with (your idea of the different percentage of concentration of the lipid and enzyme) so we can get this quantitative visual result? "

Ohh, hmm. . . I think, what I meant to say was, like after the activation energy has ceased? Since the reaction has all been used up.

Which we then use the colorimeter to obtain the quantitative data from e.g. the three levels of concentration.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys! Aight, so after nearly a week, this is what I got from my meeting with my supervisor:

The working title of the essay is:

To what extent would pancreatectomy patients tolerate a lack of lipids in the body?

What I need to do:

• How much concentration of lipase would I need?
  • Narrow title down further to looking to looking at pancreatic lipase as an indicator of disease.
  • Research into the effect lack of lipids on the body
  • How pancreatic disease affects the production of lipase therefore absorption of production of lipase therefore affect on body?
  • Lipid digestion elsewhere in the body
  • Indicators of fatty acids and glycerol

---> So yeah, that's basically it. SO, I will be doing a lot of research over the weekend so, suggestions and advices would be appreciated :D

>Basically, for now, the priority is to know how much concentration should my lipase be. So I can basically choose this at random, yes?

Edited by Mark desu

• 1 month later...

Aight, so, let's get this thing flying again :)

So, as I've mentioned from my previous post, that's what my supervisor said. Any comments, feedbacks, advices that I should know? :)

Erm, about the concentration, does anyone know how to create my own concentration of lipase from scratch? and does anyone know the exact amount of pancreatic lipase there actually is inside our body?

Please and Thank you! :D

As for lipase, your school should provide that for you no?

There isn't an exact amount of pancreatic lipase, it's synthesized all the time, and the secretion depends on many factors. However, something important I have no idea why it hasnt crossed my mind is that you need bile or anything that will do what it does.

Not sure you got to the part where it talks about Bile in your syllabus, but basically you need bile in your body in order to emulsify the lipid droplets into smaller ones that can be digested by the pancreatic lipase.