Film Oral

AllTimeLow

Uhm. That seems pretty open. Maybe you can start by looking at the most recent films you've watched, both in and outside of class, and see if at least a few names pop out at you as possibly having enough depth for an analysis? If it's the oral that I'm thinking of, you won't be able to have much notes outside of point-form guidelines, and it'll be either 10 or 15min long, so it would be much better if you chose a film that you personally knew and have an affinity with rather than a random title out of literally a thousand possibilities thrown out by an anonymous forum poster.

Uhm. That seems pretty open. Maybe you can start by looking at the most recent films you've watched, both in and outside of class, and see if at least a few names pop out at you as possibly having enough depth for an analysis? If it's the oral that I'm thinking of, you won't be able to have much notes outside of point-form guidelines, and it'll be either 10 or 15min long, so it would be much better if you chose a film that you personally knew and have an affinity with rather than a random title out of literally a thousand possibilities thrown out by an anonymous forum poster.

I've narrowed it down to The Prestige and The Pianist.

I must have been tired last time I posted, since I just realized that it couldn't be the 10/15 min oral if you got to choose the film >< Stupid me.

What are the parameters for your assignment then? Are you presenting on a segment, a frame, or the entire film? How long are you talking for? And what is the task? (Analyzing technique, theme, etc.)

I must have been tired last time I posted, since I just realized that it couldn't be the 10/15 min oral if you got to choose the film >< Stupid me.

What are the parameters for your assignment then? Are you presenting on a segment, a frame, or the entire film? How long are you talking for? And what is the task? (Analyzing technique, theme, etc.)

The oral only has to be 8 minutes, I'm presenting on a 5 minute scene/sequence analyzing the salient techniques.

Ultimately then, it's still up to you to choose between those two films. In terms of salient techniques, both have great examples to draw from, and you wouldn't be disadvantaged by either. I would still recommend picking the film that you are personally more drawn to, or the one with visual/stylistic elements that you remember more clearly. Did you like the realism of The Pianist more, or the dark stylization that seems a bit trademark to Nolan?

Edited by Proletariat

Ultimately then, it's still up to you to choose between those two films. In terms of salient techniques, both have great examples to draw from, and you wouldn't be disadvantaged by either. I would still recommend picking the film that you are personally more drawn to, or the one with visual/stylistic elements that you remember more clearly. Did you like the realism of The Pianist more, or the dark stylization that seems a bit trademark to Nolan?

I liked the dark stylization of Nolan better. I've seen The Prestige before but it was like a year ago, should I be worried?