Physics or Biology?

gba

So I'm doing course selections and I'm not sure whether I should take SL Bio or Physics. I'm already taking HL Chem and I can only choose one other science. I've asked a lot of people but everyone just says "it depends on what you're going to do". The thing is, I have no clue. I'm considering med school, which would require bio, but it's equally likely I'll go into physical sciences. Here's my reasoning (pros for each):

Bio

-easier, I could focus on my other HL subjects, and my marks would look better applying to university

-more people are taking bio, so there are more people I can discuss/work with; not many of my friends are taking physics ;)

Physics

-harder, but I think i'd enjoy it as it's more challenging

-i'm much more interested in physics than bio

-bio is easier to catch up with in university than physics (since I haven't taken either, I'd probably die in uni physics)

-better conversion rates than bio

So, based on my reasoning, what do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!

i'm much more interested in physics than bio

I think you just answered your own question right there ;) Go with physics if you enjoy it more, because if you like it more, you're more likely to pursue it as a career and you'll find IB more enjoyable as a whole if you pick subjects you like. Plus you're right; the mark conversion for physics is higher ;) If you still want to take biology as well, you could always take it in summer school.

Edited by Summer Glau

Hmm, thanks guys! Physics/math does interest me more, but biology definitely wouldn't be boring either. It's just that I have no confidence in myself. I'm good at math, but I do have to study a fair amount and I'd probably fail horribly if i didn't (I can't think logically for my life). Also, I just don't want it to distract me from my other courses, which might in turn affect my marks.

Also, don't I have to take grade 11 bio in summer school first in order to take grade 12 bio?

I guess my main concern is: take the harder subject in grade 12 IB or in 1st year uni?

Well I always like to challenge myself. But that's just me. and physics SL isn't that challenging if you revise weekly. However HL is something else.lol ;) If you enjoy physics then do it, if you don't then don't try delve into the subject, you wont understand anything. Physics is something you really need to enjoy for you to be able to handle it. If you don't enjoy it you will just have a tough time.

i'm much more interested in physics than bio

I think you just answered your own question right there ;) Go with physics if you enjoy it more, because if you like it more, you're more likely to pursue it as a career and you'll find IB more enjoyable as a whole if you pick subjects you like. Plus you're right; the mark conversion for physics is higher ;) If you still want to take biology as well, you could always take it in summer school.

You ought to go with Physics if you enjoy it more....but also it does depend on the quality of the teacher. I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to meet your physics teacher and then you can decide.

I take HL Physics myself and with that obviously SL Physics comes too, and my Physics teacher makes our lessons fun!! He recently showed us an experiment he'd been working on, where he'd drilled holes into a metal tube. One end of the metal tube had thin, elastic rubber covering the opening whilst the other end had a funnel which had a pipe which was attached to the gas valves. A Bunsen burner was attached to the gas valves seperately and by use of a match he lit flames above the holes in the metal tube. Then he played music from an amplifier on one end of the tube to the other, causing the flames to fluctuate like a sine wave. It was cool!!

Would you tell us the rest of your subjects with the levels so we could give you even better suggestions? Also what you are currently studying in whatever course. Because your subject choices tell your interests. If you take Math HL I'd suggest Physics. If you take Arts I'd suggest Biology.

Hmm, thanks guys! Physics/math does interest me more, but biology definitely wouldn't be boring either. It's just that I have no confidence in myself. I'm good at math, but I do have to study a fair amount and I'd probably fail horribly if i didn't (I can't think logically for my life). Also, I just don't want it to distract me from my other courses, which might in turn affect my marks.

Also, don't I have to take grade 11 bio in summer school first in order to take grade 12 bio?

I guess my main concern is: take the harder subject in grade 12 IB or in 1st year uni?

If you're good at math, then physics shouldn't be too bad. I think. The vast majority of people have to study for tests, exams, etc. even if they are good at the subject, so actually studying for tests and putting in some effort certainly won't put you at risk for not doing well! ;) I would ask some of the IB kids at your school who take SL physics. Ask them how they find it. Since they take that course in your own school, they would probably be helpful to you.

Yeah you have to take grade 11 biology to do grade 12. The answer to your dilemma is to take both in summer school (if you also want to take biology, that is) ;)

• 1 month later...

Registrations are next week, and I still don't know what to pick between standard level biology, or physics, since chemistry is mandatory.

I am not very good in the science field, since I got 73% for my Science 10 mark, and that to me, is pretty much a fail. Now, I have a choice between biology or physics. I am a lot better in physics since it's just math, and less lab work, but I heard that it's the hardest class out of the three. As for biology, I did pretty bad, even though most of it was pretty much review and memorization.

The thing is that I'm not sure what I'll be when I grow up, and taking biology will benefit me for a lot of jobs.

So, which course did you pick? and why? and if you're caught up in my situation, what would you do?

i would say that if you think it might benefit your future - go for bio. it is just memorizing stuff and (to me at least) the syllabus is pretty easy. it is also the easiest of the three sciences so if you want an easy way out - choose bio. however, if you think you might not do well in bio and are a lot more of a number person - go for physics. it's hard but if you get it - it's not that difficult :) hope that helps a little

I would say go with Physics SL. I can see you're from Canada (as am I) and I feel that the normal curriculum covers a lot more topics than covered by IB physics so your teacher would probably prepare you well. Also, IB physics has pretty low markbands, around a 66% for a level 7 which is pretty crazy. Finally, I feel that for biology, unless you have some sort of interest in that field, you won't be able to do as well...

Ahem have you ever considered doing BOTH?!?!?!?! OR rather all three. Talk to Drake Glau. He's doing all three. And I know he was going to comment on this so I did it for him.

Erm, I'm not a fan of Science, I would much rather just choose one or the other. Taking all three would add to the stress, especially since I'm not a fan of this subject.

Physics is also beneficial for many jobs :yes: If you like physics the most then take that. You'll enjoy it more than biology so you'll probably do better. Yes physics is rumoured to be hard but if you like math then it shouldn't be a problem :)

Since both of them are at SL, take physics because its easier and you like it more. Don't worry about the future part; there are still many fields open even if you take physics! Take what you like, it will be easier to score.

What kind of jobs would need physics?

I would say go with Physics SL. I can see you're from Canada (as am I) and I feel that the normal curriculum covers a lot more topics than covered by IB physics so your teacher would probably prepare you well. Also, IB physics has pretty low markbands, around a 66% for a level 7 which is pretty crazy. Finally, I feel that for biology, unless you have some sort of interest in that field, you won't be able to do as well...

So, 66% = 7/7? D;

Physics is also beneficial for many jobs :yes: If you like physics the most then take that. You'll enjoy it more than biology so you'll probably do better. Yes physics is rumoured to be hard but if you like math then it shouldn't be a problem :)

Since both of them are at SL, take physics because its easier and you like it more. Don't worry about the future part; there are still many fields open even if you take physics! Take what you like, it will be easier to score.

What kind of jobs would need physics?

Engineering, architecture, maybe computer science and a bunch of other jobs...it's actually a pretty useful subject to take.