Physics or Biology?

gba

A a victim of Physics HL, I would personally recommend you check the teachers of the subjects before you choose.

Since you are doing SL, ensure that the teacher is willing to teach you equally as he/she does with the HL, meaning that he/she does not ignore you as is done with the SLs in my school.

I would recommend that you take physics at the beginning, if you couldn't cope you can always change to biology, as the topics taken are more easy to catch up with.

furthermore, an SL in Physics gives you equal oportunities to get into med school as does an SL in bio. and in case the university you apply to does not accept such an undertaking you can always do a course in biology during your pre-med.

Well, medicine is a more competitive in comparison with a subject like chemical engineering. So logically if there is an equal chance of you going into either fields you want to raise your qualification for the most competitive course and that would be medicine. So I would take biology if I were you. Plus, it might seem all easy going now and you're looking for something to 'challenge' yourself, but when you get to some stage where pressure to complete CAS, IAs, university applications and prepare for exams accumulate, you will regret carrying that unnecessary burden.

I would say physics, because at SL, it is much simpler than HL. Also, the IAs would be less taxing than that of bio. However, if memorising is your forte as compared to calculations, then bio, although since you like physics I doubt that is the case.

{Speaking on behalf of Physics, if you are ever more inclined}:

The math level at Physics is not so much of a worry as it is to know how to apply the theories you learn to solve the problems. For example, it's one thing to know F=ma (Newton's Second Law of motion where force is proportional to acceleration), but it's another thing to understand that acceleration means a change in velocity, therefore F = m(v-u). Because with the right data, you can just easily plug in the numbers into the equation, but IB just doesn't do that, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who's perspective). Though I am only halfway through the first year of IB, I've come to realize that IB just doesn't want you to solve things like you'd expect to in past exams, but to critically look at problems and solve with the knowledge IB provides you with. And in Physics as I've said, applying your knowledge to solve problems is critical.

I have to warn you that there are no shortcuts in IB Physics, regardless of whether you take it as an SL or HL course (it's probably a little more relaxed on SL, but anyways). There is a lot to know. Let there be no secret that Physics is one of the most demanding courses in IB. You can expect yourself to set aside probably at least 3-4 hours on weekends to review, on top of an hour or two every night to read up on what you learn in class, because you'll find yourself not getting the grades you expect to on unit/semester tests, and not understanding some of the materials. But it gets better, if you're willing to put in a lot of work into it. If an aspect of Physics interests you, go for it! That's why I went for it. Besides, who chooses IB subjects because they're easy, or seem to be? The challenge is what's IB all about, really. Otherwise we wouldn't have a survival site for it! :P

P.s: I initially took Physics SL, without any background knowledge, and after I changed schools I was forced to change it to HL since they don't offer it as SL.

Edited by Azfar

Guest Soiboist

Though I am only halfway through the first year of IB, I've come to realize that IB just doesn't want you to solve things like you'd expect to in past exams, but to critically look at problems and solve with the knowledge IB provides you with.

This goes for all IB sciences, even Biology. Thereby you shouldn't take Biology just because you expect it to be easier, and as you enjoy Physics more than Biology you should definitely take Physics.

• 6 months later...

I would suggest that, if you enjoy Physics, then take it.

At the high school level, biology is generally easier since they dont teach you enough for it to actually be useful. I mean, if you take an example of a career involving biology such as medicine, do you honestly think theyll teach you enough to give you a good idea how to take care of someones life?

Physics covers a lot more at the high school level in terms of fundamentals. You're right, Biology SL is therefore easier than Physics SL.

If you aren't interested in EITHER, take biology, its easier.

If you need physics, take it. If you need bio, take it.

^^The fundamentals of physics also spread out among many other jobs, as Summer pointed out.