Chemistry

Valentyn

I just started HL Chemistry, and my teacher doesn't seem too good. I understand all the concepts, but when it comes to labs, he doesn't tell us anything until after we've handed it in. Only then does he tell us that our work is "unacceptable" and that he's not going to mark it. Gah, the whole course is hit and miss merely because the teacher is being so picky without telling us the peculiarities. It's really disappointing because Chemistry is supposed to be one of my better subjects and now my mark is being determined by how well I guess what he wants.

If you're really interested in Chem then take HL. But you should know that HL is much, much harder than SL. I take HL but since I have the IB Study Guide I can see which parts the SL don't study and it's like basically everything! lol :D I think Chem SL is even easier than Bio SL.

If you're really interested in Chem then take HL. But you should know that HL is much, much harder than SL. I take HL but since I have the IB Study Guide I can see which parts the SL don't study and it's like basically everything! lol tongue.gif I think Chem SL is even easier than Bio SL.

Finally, some smart words :D

still, i can't understand why someone would take HL, unless you are going to study something related to it in the university..

mabye it is just because in my school SL and HL students sit in the same class, so HL has to study that 'everything' individually..

Finally, some smart words :)

still, i can't understand why someone would take HL, unless you are going to study something related to it in the university..

mabye it is just because in my school SL and HL students sit in the same class, so HL has to study that 'everything' individually..

i was the same way... did evrything wrong untili found that beloved syllabus.... i also used the notes my teacher mad n my old labs.

i am majoring in marketing next year and i am in HL chem. i planed on taking SL chem because it was that of bio (HL and SL were in the same class) and i really really really didn't like the bio teacher, so i started SL chem, and then i move out of Florida to another state and they only offered HL chem or HL bio, so i stuck with chem, it was only a year after starting chem that i discovered i ddnt really understand it all that well, but it was too late to switch.....

so there is one reason someone would take HL chem if it didn't have anything to do with their future major.

you have to remember that i did really really well in pre-IB chem too, and HL chem was a shock to me.

im in year 12 chem higher level. its not that hard. im 14 years old and came into half a year of preib after coming out of year 9. trust me. chem is not that hard. we do alot more that SL but they hardly do anything. they can do their exam with around 10-20 equations.

well at least where im concerned...not sure bout year 13...

• 3 weeks later...
theres more ppl w. 7's in my school in HL chem than bio.
Same with at my school, well for the past few years anyway. I found that quite odd, seeing as most people tell me that Biology HL is much easier than Chemistry HL. Maybe it's because of the teachers, or the students put in more effort in Chem because they know it's harder... or perhaps the grade bands are different? Does anyone know?

Nah the grade bands are the same practically. It is the opposite at my school, only one person out of 6 got a 7 in HL Chem for the Nov 2007 session, although i think something like 11 out of 20 SL chem students got a 7. Bio HL 6 out of 10 got a 7. I think for us it was because my bio teacher was fantastic and my chem teacher was bad (We didn't finish the syllabus before the exam).