How long should the introduction for my chem EE be?

ecieee

So I'm doing my chem EE, and I have 500 words written now.

But I still have heaps of things to write about, and I don't really know how long a decent introduction is meant to be.

I was told that EE should flow nicely like an "essay", so I've been writing very detailed yet smoothly.

I think this is using up all my word limit. How long should an introduction be?

Also, what do you think about using "I" in the introduction? So like " I have come to decide that ...blah blah".

I personally feel really bad using "I" because I was told never to use first person narrative in an academic paper.

Is this just me???

I did my EE on chemistry as well and my introduction was 1664 words, I thought it was too long but my supervisor told me anything less than that wouldn't have made a good introduction for my topic.

My RQ was: "Is ethanol a more effective fuel than petrol? In addition, what effect would it have on the economy and the environment?"

So my introduction had to talk about so many things, the issue arising from the use of petrol.. environmentally and economically, including statistics and stuff. Then the idea of switching to ethanol, how it came up and why, which countries have started using them..etc..etc.

So it really depends, what's your RQ?

As for the use of I, I was also told that as a general tip, but my supervisor who was also my chem teacher told me it's fine since I am describing what I did in the experiment. In the beginning however, I used "This is research will investigate...." and not "In this research, I will investigate".

I did my EE on chemistry as well and my introduction was 1664 words, I thought it was too long but my supervisor told me anything less than that wouldn't have made a good introduction for my topic.

My RQ was: "Is ethanol a more effective fuel than petrol? In addition, what effect would it have on the economy and the environment?"

So my introduction had to talk about so many things, the issue arising from the use of petrol.. environmentally and economically, including statistics and stuff. Then the idea of switching to ethanol, how it came up and why, which countries have started using them..etc..etc.

As for the use of I, I was also told that as a general tip, but my supervisor who was also my chem teacher told me it's fine since I am describing what I did in the experiment. In the beginning however, I used "This is research will investigate...." and not "In this research, I will investigate".

That sounds interesting....what grade did you get?

My RQ is investigating the effectiveness of the superabsorbent polymer, sodium acrylate, on decreasing the bioavailability of lead in lead contaminated soil

• Like 1