Visual Arts Workbook Guidance

Julie

Guest Aastha

The question that remains is.... Can I write my IWB in past tense?

Like "I used xyz plaster but then I realised that i should rather be using this plaster for enough strength so I used the latter"...... is that alright?

I have 2 sculptures

3 digital

1 photography

2 big canvas

1 paper craft

and 1 woodcut print - took 6 editions - used 4 in final work

I'm really nervous.

• 1 month later...

The question that remains is.... Can I write my IWB in past tense?

Like "I used xyz plaster but then I realised that i should rather be using this plaster for enough strength so I used the latter"...... is that alright?

I have 2 sculptures

3 digital

1 photography

2 big canvas

1 paper craft

and 1 woodcut print - took 6 editions - used 4 in final work

I'm really nervous.

yeah that kind of wording is alright. All my book was like that!

I wanted to express my personal opinion/experience on the whole IB IWB "freakout".

I don't get why people freak out cause they have 150-200 pages :\

Read the assessment clarifications by IB!! It clearly states that it dosen't matter how many pages you have in total!

I'm option A and I have 92 pages! But the thing is, I have worked tirelessly on every single page! Every page could be a CRB! I usually spend 2-3 full days doing one page (full paintings, extensive research, detailed sketch, etc.). As always "quality over quantity".

I had my exhibition around 2 weeks ago and the examiner was speechless with my book. My workbook was half empty (in term of number of pages) but she said it was one of the best ones she has seen so far in her career! I mean it's not how much you do, it's what you do! READ the rubric and try to include ALL of it in every single page you do!

Another thing with having a dozen books is choosing your CRB pages!! How do you wanna choose 35 out of 200 pages AND satisfy the rubric? My teacher always told us to do 10 pages for every piece but I didn't do more that 4-5 ever! We hated each other for this and she gave me detention and in-school suspension for never listening to her ever! But when CRB choosing day came, I saw people going crazy.. cause they couldn't choose 3 pages for each piece AND show development, cultural connection, personal connection, media experimentation, artist connection, etc. but ME? I could choose any of my 92 pages and still have a better grade than them!

The good thing about IB art is has no limits!! You can write about whatever you want! From the struggles your mom is going through to you favorite genre of music! It's art for god's sake! You have to be free!

Just show skill and diversity in your studio and really focus on quality in you IWB.

I think by now the examiners are smart enough to know if you're just filling pages up to look better or you're serious about art! You wanna show you're serious about art? Why don't you take your personal sketch book to your interview and show her how passionate you are about you theme? Why don't you keep your DeviantArt open on a laptop in your exhibition space so she can take a look at your non-IB stuff? I took my sketch book and she was really impressed! It shows that you really care about art and you just didn't fill up 5 pages a week just for the hell of it!

Some of my classmates realized this after they finished IB Art and they regret listening to our teacher! So I encourage you to be creative with your approach! Art is subjective! So follow the criteria and seriously make an impression rather than TRY and fake it...

This post was full of personal opinions! Please do whatever you think is right! And don't attack me =D It worked for me! Might not work for you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

first of all, thank you for this lovely guidance! it helped me so much!

i got a question - should the final exhibition consist of works done using VARIED techniques? i'd like to have only photographs, but i'm afraid i'll loose some point because of that. what if i put some props i used for the photoshoots? maybe that would help?

first of all, thank you for this lovely guidance! it helped me so much!

i got a question - should the final exhibition consist of works done using VARIED techniques? i'd like to have only photographs, but i'm afraid i'll loose some point because of that. what if i put some props i used for the photoshoots? maybe that would help?

You should try to show a range of work and experimentation in your exhibition. IB likes that, showing that you can try other styles and media. So you can have some photographs, but if you have anything else like paintings, drawings, sculptures, etc it might be a good idea to include them. If you want a prop, that's fine. Just don't put a prop in there just for the sake of having a prop in there, because not having one won't hurt you. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi Julie

First of all, let me congratulate you on your excellent post. My 17 son has just started his IB with Visual Arts as one of his chosen topics. I have been looking round trying to find useful information on this subject and stumbled across your post. I am most impressed! Your parents must be delighted and very proud of you for all your hard work.

Now I will sit down with my son this weekend to discuss your post - it's an excellent guide. My question, however, is would you be willing to provide us with an example of one of your workbook's completed sections? I'm sure you have produced excellent work and to see an example of it would really help us.

Again, well done on your post and for all your hard work. I look forward very much to hearing from you.

Great work!

Phil

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You beautiful, beautiful person, please let me love you!!! :love: This is explained SO much better than how my teacher explained it. I have been getting 5 for my workbook because I wasn't really sure what I should be doing but this is such a perfect explanation! Thank you so much I should easily be able to get a 6 or 7 now!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What if I lost my workbook?? What do I do then? Is there something that I can do or someone I can talk to about that? Or do I have to redo my entire workbook?? :dontgetit:

That's not good at all. I imagine it is the same as if you never turned in a science or history IA...

The IB is somewhat cruel when it comes to this kind of thing. I'd recommend either finding it or redoing it. I don't believe there's a way out of doing it if you want any of those points.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Too bad that these guidelines don't really apply anymore. My art teacher recently went to a conference and the grading system for IB Art has changed for students taking the 2016 exams. There isn't such heavy focus on the IWB now. Instead you would be graded on a total of three parts.

The first part is the CS (Comparative Study). It's worth 20 percent of the final grade. The CS is essentially a  comparison of two art pieces from different cultural backgrounds.

The second is the PP (Process Portfolio). This counts for 40 percent of the final grade. The PP is supposed to display an artistic journey. It requires the student to use a variety of media, experiment with techniques and materials, and show how the student has developed his/her artistic abilities.

The third and final component of the new grading system is the Exhibition portion, which fills in the last 40 percent of the final grade. It's obvious that, at this point, studio works would be showcased; however, IB will focus on how the student chooses to curate his/her works. IB wants to know why those particular pieces were chosen, why they were placed in a certain order, how they relate to one another through theme.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Too bad that these guidelines don't really apply anymore. My art teacher recently went to a conference and the grading system for IB Art has changed for students taking the 2016 exams. There isn't such heavy focus on the IWB now. Instead you would be graded on a total of three parts.

The first part is the CS (Comparative Study). It's worth 20 percent of the final grade. The CS is essentially a  comparison of two art pieces from different cultural backgrounds.

The second is the PP (Process Portfolio). This counts for 40 percent of the final grade. The PP is supposed to display an artistic journey. It requires the student to use a variety of media, experiment with techniques and materials, and show how the student has developed his/her artistic abilities.

The third and final component of the new grading system is the Exhibition portion, which fills in the last 40 percent of the final grade. It's obvious that, at this point, studio works would be showcased; however, IB will focus on how the student chooses to curate his/her works. IB wants to know why those particular pieces were chosen, why they were placed in a certain order, how they relate to one another through theme.

Thanks for that! My art teacher's information on how the class of 2016 will be graded really did not suffice. Didn't even know about the new exhibition portion of it.... Or showcasing artistic abilities.... I've only done about 30 pages in a semester and I'm feeling SCREWED!

• 1 month later...