Score: 24/40...should I be worried?

EccentricPianist

Okay, so I got to see my scored IA's that my teacher scored (so there's still the chance that the moderators might/lower raise the score). But out of 40 available points total on both of them, I only got 24. A bit miffed at the numbers, but as it was the best I could do (Math is my weakest subject) I wasn't surprised.

So my question remains, is this a bad score? Should I worry about it? What's the average score?

Thanks, I'm really REALLY worried about the numbers, so I thought this might be the best place to ask!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I would say, 24 is a little low yes. That being said, your grade may go back if the IBO thinks your teacher was too strict.

IAs take 20% of the final grade, but you shouldn't worry that much about it. Just work hard on the two papers to get the grade you want.

I am sure others will give you advice by tomorrow. :)

• Like 2

I received an 11 on my second IA. For me it was only 10 percent and for you it is 20 percent but the principle still stands it is only 20 percent, which might seem like a lot but if you look at it the other way the exam is 80 percent. I think if you get 95 percent you can get a 7 but even if you get 80 or even lower you can still get a 7. You've made it harder to get a 6 or a 7 but it's definitely not impossible. I still intend on going for my 7 in Math SL even though I think I'll get a 6 which I'm very happy about. If you want to ponder slightly more although I think it would be unhealthy, think how long did it take to do your IAs or more pertinent when did you do it? I left mine at the last minute that's why I blew up. Even though I messed it up it taught me valuable lesson. Every other coursework I have done has been of a very high standard.

Don't dwell and don't worry, there is no use and it really isn't that bad, unless you let other people tell you it is. JUST GO GET YOUR 6 :)

Kind Regards from Marcus

• Like 2

As mentioned above, the math IA is not worth much of your mark. It may hinder you from getting a 7 (unless you do very well on the exam)but realistically you could still get a 6 overall which is very good. Don't worry about what the average score is or what everyone else got because in the end they don't matter. Only your mark matters in the end. Comparing yourself to others will only make you feel worse.

I got a 5 (13/20) on my first IA and trust me I was worried when I received my grade. Then I realized that I had to move on and do better on the next one. For you that means you have to move on and do well on your exam to get the grade you want. Make note of the mistakes you made in your IA (ex. notation, terminology, etc) because remembering your mistakes may help you on the exam (and teach you a valuable lesson). :)

By the way I like your username :D

• Like 2

If you look at the 2010 grade boundaries, you could roughly estimate what to score or what to expect in the exams. Assuming that the boundaries won't change much, you can still get a 7 overall in math given that you score a total of at least 163 marks out of 180 in papers 1 and 2 (90 marks each) :)

You can get a 6 given that you score at least a total of at least 133 marks in papers 1 and 2

You can get a 5 given that you score at least a total of at least 106 marks in papers 1 and 2 :S

Just do your best in the exams!! If you have questions, post them here and we'll try to help you out :D

Edited by Mahuta ♥
It says above it's SL. :P
  • Like 2

Aw! Thanks you guys. I feel a lot better about it now. I'm not the best at math (well, it's my worst subject. Trig functions are the death of me! Deathly scared that they're going to be splattered all over the two papers!), so I'm hoping to get a 4 or 5 (a 6 or 7 would be acceptable too!) and make up for it with the other grades I'm aiming for too. I think my Spanish score is going to be the one trying to keep me afloat in general.

Thanks to all you guys!

• 10 years later...