IB courses you wish you could have taken, but couldn't

JoeG

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2 de Fevereiro de 2015 at 5:53 AM, gkkiller said:

If only I could take Film Studies. Hell, I'd take it as a fourth HL if I had to. But none of the schools in my city offer it :( 

Pal, my school doesn't offer either, but my desire for Film was enormous, so by the end of the 1st year (junior year) I decided to do my Extended Esssay on Film. In spite of all the people, friends and teachers saying I shouldn't be doing it, I went forward with it and I must say I am enjoying it very much, indeed. It is good for people "out of the maths and sciences", who can absorb themselves from that world and imerge into another one who demands a very strong artistic skill. Virtually, you have to choose a matrix, that you have thought about it and created it, and then be able to get in the auteurs' minds and perceive the essence of some techniques. I was pretty amazed with it, you know? Not having a pegged answer for the same question is so cool, it valorizes people as distinct beings. But be careful, and this is one of my problems, do not be looney, even though it is inserted in the group of the Arts, you are doing an analysis, they just require you to be "looney" on the way you find arguments to put in there and differentiate yourself from the mainstream things. But when writing be as assertive as possible. But my advice is, not just for you, but for everyone who s pissed because school doesn't offer Film. Well, I don't necessarily recommend you to take on Film as a subject. I mean if you find external support on time (before the IB Diploma starts, then ok; but if you re in the middle of the IBD do not seek for it as a subject. You d have to take 6 hours of it a week, or more, and still you wouldn't acquire the same as others. What I tell those who have an unquenchable desire to explore Film, try to get informed to do an EE on Film. My supervisor isn't a Film teacher but still buy a few textbooks on Film really, others of independent authors on production, directing etc, inform yourselves try to be "into" the subject. Then you just have to read, like a normal guy, on the topic you chose for an EE theme (read as much as you can and don't only use internet sources, examiners are complaining about that, they want you to read, to explore). If you are thinking about this and you don't know where to start, text me here and I can even subscribe you some books that I found interesting for Film.

Btw the subjects that I would have enjoyed taking were ofc Film HL and then I could take out Economics as a subject as I would have a subject from the group of the Arts, maybe Philosophy HL so that I could take the HL of History and pass on attending it as a SL subject, Computer Science or Design Technology instead of Environmental Systems (honestly, so boring) and also I would like to have another subject on the Arts, like Visual Arts or Music (SL).        

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to take HL Maths but couldn't 'cause I was sucking too much at it XD

But seriously I really wanted to take History yet my school didn't offer it for my year since I was the only student interested in taking the subject :/ 

English Lit would have been nicer than Langlit although again, it wasn't offered for my year level. 

Also woulda loved to take Art or Geography as a 7th subject.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...