History SL/HL Help

Julie

Basically in order to answear this you must focus on both the reasons why wars influenced the status and situation of women and provide specific examples of the changes.

The reasons why twentieth century wars influenced the status of women may include: doing jobs that were usually done by men in the past since women used to stay at home doing chores; enlisting in the armed forces when there was urge of more human resources; participating as combatants in wars and recognizing the crucial role that women played in the economy.

The results in your assignment may include the improved constituional rights such as the right to vote granted to women in many countries; a role in the workforce beyond traditional female roles; greater economic independence; increased government social services and access to education; legal changes granting more rights such as marriage, property, etc.; increased involvement in leadership roles, politics, government and business.

Challenging the questions given to you are always appreciated in the IB, you may want to do this by demonstrating that the sacrifices of women were not always recognized equally in all countries, or as a result of all wars.

Hope it helped.

The main periods of violence in the French Revolution were: the storming of the Bastille; Paris mob violence; the Great Fear; storming of Versailles; storming of the Tuileries; September massacres (1792); execution of the king and queen and large scale use of the guillotine; rebellion in the Vendee (1793); continuation and increase of the terror, “Reign of terror” 1793-94; death of prominent revolutionaries. Violence began to subside in 1795.

Reasons for violence could include: hatred of the royal family, nobility, feudalism etc.; famine and food shortages; incitement by mob and political leaders; political clubs (Girondins, Jacobins); Robespierre; sansculottes; foreign sympathy with royal family . Effects could include: the end of the monarchy; breakdown of law and order; individual events noted above; dislike of the revolution and rise of Napoleon.

That's basically a summary, you might want to choose some of them and do a deep analysis for your task. French Revolution is somehow difficult to memorise. GOD.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So my topic is based around Francisco Madero's death during the Mexican Revolution...I was thinking something like "How did the death of Francisco Madero affect the Mexican Revolution?" I'm not sure whether that's too broad or too narrow.

OR should I write about the conspiracy behind his death...it's really interesting, but I feel like there aren't many sources out there about it. :\

I think it has the perfect size but you might want to focus your topic on one aspect of the Mexican Revolution. PD: This is not the place to post this so I'm not going to develop the idea, you're invited to post it in the History Internal Assesment / Historical Investigation thread and if you're talking about an EE go to that section.

Guest Cranberries

Hey people. I would really appreciate if you helped me with the following question:

To what extent, and for what reasons, did the election of Abraham Lincoln contribute to the onset of the Civil War in the United States?

For the first part of the question and summarizing the role that Abraham Lincoln had you might want to consider saying "to a large extent". Historical evidence shows that Lincoln’s election in 1860 was the final event that triggered the South's decision to leave the Union. In December 860 a special convention in South Carolina voted unanimously to secede. Within the next six weeks six states had left the union. In February 1861,

representatives of the seven states of the Deep South created the Confederate States of America.

However, I think the most important part of this question is based on " For what reasons". Some of the reasons were what Lincoln stood for, as the South perceived it. However, no single cause brought about the Civil War. Rather, it resulted from the interrelationship of many complex factors.

Perceptions about Lincoln: in 1846 Lincoln ran for the United States House of Representatives and won. While in Washington he became known for his opposition to the Mexican War and his concerns by the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854. Also in 1856 Lincoln gave his Lost Speech. He opposed the Dred Scott decision in 1857 and gave his famous “House Divided” Speech on 16 June 1858. Additionally, he engaged in a series of debates with Stephen A Douglas in 1858. The debates, though not a part of the Civil War, certainly played a part in its beginning. Lincoln was against the spread of slavery into the territories but was not an abolitionist. His election victory created a crisis for the nation, as many southern Democrats feared that it would just be a matter of time before Lincoln would move to kill slavery in the South. Rather than face a future in which black people might become free and equal citizens, much of the white South supported secession. This reasoning was based upon the doctrine of states’ rights, which placed ultimate sovereignty with the states.

Lincoln vowed to preserve the Union even if it meant war. What started as a war to preserve the Union became a battle for freedom and a war to end slavery when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation in January of 1863. Although the Proclamation did not free all slaves in the nation-indeed, no slaves outside of the Confederacy were affected by the Proclamation, it was an important symbolic gesture that identified the Union with freedom and the death of slavery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ragdoll

I am writing an essay for tomorrow about whether Alexander II was a tsar liberator or not. I have started writing, but so far the only argument I can think of is the emancipation of serfs. Anyone have any tips on what else I could write about?

Please! i really need some help with my HI, i'm in my third IB-semester, i have to finish it on december the first and i don't know what to do! my topic is actually the consequences of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. but i can't find any information about it! any books? ( by the way, i'm doing it in German!)

Please! i really need some help with my HI, i'm in my third IB-semester, i have to finish it on december the first and i don't know what to do! my topic is actually the consequences of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. but i can't find any information about it! any books? ( by the way, i'm doing it in German!)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, just a basic question. Do you keep including/evaluating different historians view throughout the essay or can you save it to the conclusion?

You should have a specific section that addresses this, but in your usual essays, you needn't go out of your way to do this unless one of the authorities you're using is of a specifically biased nature that that must be brought to the forefront. You need to always remember that evaluating authorities isn't as important and personal reflection in your essays. Your own personal evaluation of authorities and what they've said and how you've assimilated their limited arguments to come up with your own.

I understand analysis a bit but is there any evaluation involved in getting a high level essay?

Yes there is. As our teacher said, this is the order (from simplest to getting the highest marks) on your essays: remember, understand, apply, analyze, evaluate. Your evaluation is a critique, based on your analysis.

• Like 1

I understand analysis a bit but is there any evaluation involved in getting a high level essay?

Yes there is. As our teacher said, this is the order (from simplest to getting the highest marks) on your essays: remember, understand, apply, analyze, evaluate. Your evaluation is a critique, based on your analysis.

Can you explain how to evaluate properly please?

Honestly, they're pretty similar (in my mind). Analyze is using your active thoughts and reasoning regarding a certain topic. Once you have the knowledge about some event (say, how WWII started), you use your own thoughts and dig deeper. Evaluation is more of a critique of this analysis, picking and choosing the most important aspects and assessing their relative significances in answering the question. Confusing :/ but hopes it kinda helps!