6 or 7 IB courses?

Soles

Hey guys, I am new to these forums and I know that a lot of these forum posts are cropping up with threads on course selections so sorry if I'm repeating something in a previous thread. Anyways, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the courses that I need and want to take next year when I enter IB1 as well as the courses I can take in IB2. Now my general idea for what courses I want to take are:

HL

Math -- Can be both SL and HL (I currently have a 93 in Math)

Chemistry -- Can only be HL (I currently have a 93 in Science)

Biology -- Can be both SL and HL (I currently have a 93 in Science)

English -- Can be both SL and HL ( I currently have an 88 in English)

SL

History -- Can be both SL and HL ( I currently have a 91 in History)

French -- Can be both SL and HL ( I currently have a 92 in French)

Music -- Can only be SL ( I currently have a 92 in Music and 91 in Band)

Now I've heard all kinds of things from the teachers and the students in my school about these courses. Well as you can see, I have 7 IB courses listed here (there is also ToK, which practically makes this all IB). 4 of these courses are HL and 3 are SL(I believe this is the maximum you can take for each level yet, feel free to correct me!). Many people have told me that 7 IB courses will screw you over yet, many other people have also told me that they will take 7 IB courses. Furthermore many people tell me that music isn't really much of an IB course because it is so easy.

Well I do have a few options to lessen the load of IB courses. I can take either regular music or academic biology (both count to my group 6) and drop a course from HL to SL.

Even though this might sound easy, I wouldn't like to drop either as I enjoy both classes and both have their advantages in the long run(Music is a relaxing class in IB and it might help in getting a higher grade in all the other classes, while a second IB science is helpful in terms of universities.) Anyway I want to hear what you guys think as well as experience, would I survive with these 7 IB courses specifically, or would you recommend that I choose 6.

P.S: If I had to choose I'd drop History all together and go with another programming course, but I have to have a group 3 so...

P.P.S My friend is also asking if Geo is harder than History or vice versa

Thank you in advance.

well, I did 7- but I started one of my HLs in my sophomore year, so I did the exam for it in May. But, I have to say my junior year was hell. I really stupidly took five HLs (including the theater) and two SLs PLUS ToK, so I was just overwhelmed. I really recommend just sticking to six subjects. I wish I had, I would've had more of a life. You'll for sure have enough on your plate with six, plus you'll want to wipe CAS out as soon as possible.

Math and Physics are known to be two of the hardest IB subjects, if they aren't your thing (passion and grade wise), I'd definitely go for SL.

Your grades are good, so you're lucky- you might be able to base your choices off your interests rather than just your talent.

One good thing would be to research the differences between the HL and SL syllabuses.

What you could do is start with 7 subjects for the first half of the year, see how you cope then possibly either drop a HL or drop a subject all together. I would recommend against doing 4 HLs with 7 subjects, just simply you don't want to be too overrun with school work. To be honest, I would take Maths, Chem and English at HL, and the rest of your subjects at SL. Most schools let you drop a 7th subject within IB1 and its really good to have that option if you get really stressed. However, if you are a good worker and don't let things get piled up, there is no reason you can't do 7 subjects.

Hey guys, I am new to these forums and I know that a lot of these forum posts are cropping up with threads on course selections so sorry if I'm repeating something in a previous thread. Anyways, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the courses that I need and want to take next year when I enter IB1 as well as the courses I can take in IB2. Now my general idea for what courses I want to take are:

HL

SL

Now I've heard all kinds of things from the teachers and the students in my school about these courses. Well as you can see, I have 7 IB courses listed here (there is also ToK, which practically makes this all IB). 4 of these courses are HL and 3 are SL(I believe this is the maximum you can take for each level yet, feel free to correct me!). Many people have told me that 7 IB courses will screw you over yet, many other people have also told me that they will take 7 IB courses. Furthermore many people tell me that music isn't really much of an IB course because it is so easy.

Well I do have a few options to lessen the load of IB courses. I can take either regular music or academic biology (both count to my group 6) and drop a course from HL to SL.

Even though this might sound easy, I wouldn't like to drop either as I enjoy both classes and both have their advantages in the long run(Music is a relaxing class in IB and it might help in getting a higher grade in all the other classes, while a second IB science is helpful in terms of universities.) Anyway I want to hear what you guys think as well as experience, would I survive with these 7 IB courses specifically, or would you recommend that I choose 6.

P.S: If I had to choose I'd drop History all together and go with another programming course, but I have to have a group 3 so...

Thank you in advance.

i'm doing 7 courses and it has not (yet; entirely) screwed me over, but you have to be pretty confident, to the point of arrogance maybe, in your academic abilities. If your schedule works out okay go for it -- you can always drop down if it's too much -- although don't do it for the benefits, like university acceptance, because in most cases it simply won't mean much. In the UK you'll get university offers based on your diploma score (i.e. one subject omitted); in the US your GPA will be important, and a seventh subject will only pull that down. But if you're bright and you like learning and you enjoy your subjects, go for it!

To me, having 7 is appropriate if it's something you thought of on your own choosing, as opposed to your teachers/family/friends/college admission friends. Because then you already have an intrinsic interest in the courses you chose. If you feel obligated, then don't bother.

As far as selection, your best bet is to have the schedule you have listed, because then, you can test Math at SL if you feel that it is a burden. My only question is, which course is your 7th, because then that won't have any affect of your total IB score. It's either Music or one of the sciences, so unless you're a total Chemistry whiz or plan to go onto Chemistry, count Chemistry as your 7th subject so that it will not be counted on the 45-point scale.

Edited by elmar

Ok thanks everybody! I talked to my teacher about IB music today and he told me that regular music (almost) has the same curriculum as IB music. Now I can drop IB to regular and have 6 IB courses. Math is my favourite subject, so I'm ok with taking it HL. Chemistry is my favourite science so I'm also ok with taking it as HL (+ the Chemistry teacher is really good and nice, so I speculate that I'll be ok with HL Chemistry). For Biology I'm going to try it in HL but, if it gets bad I'll quickly switch Biology out for French or History SL. The only disadvantage I see to taking music in regular is that I don't get it in my IB diploma but, since I'm not going to be taking music in university, I don't think it will make that big of a difference.

To me, having 7 is appropriate if it's something you thought of on your own choosing, as opposed to your teachers/family/friends/college admission friends. Because then you already have an intrinsic interest in the courses you chose. If you feel obligated, then don't bother.

As far as selection, your best bet is to have the schedule you have listed, because then, you can test Math at SL if you feel that it is a burden. My only question is, which course is your 7th, because then that won't have any affect of your total IB score. It's either Music or one of the sciences, so unless you're a total Chemistry whiz or plan to go onto Chemistry, count Chemistry as your 7th subject so that it will not be counted on the 45-point scale.

Well I was going to take Biology as my 7th subject because I know I do better in Music and Chemistry then I do in Biology. I did choose those 7 by myself as well (except for the classes I had to take, but there is nothing I can do about those classes).

i'm doing 7 courses and it has not (yet; entirely) screwed me over, but you have to be pretty confident, to the point of arrogance maybe, in your academic abilities. If your schedule works out okay go for it -- you can always drop down if it's too much -- although don't do it for the benefits, like university acceptance, because in most cases it simply won't mean much. In the UK you'll get university offers based on your diploma score (i.e. one subject omitted); in the US your GPA will be important, and a seventh subject will only pull that down. But if you're bright and you like learning and you enjoy your subjects, go for it!

I'm pretty arrogant of my academic abilities but, I don't feel very confident in my English, French or History abilities. Now that I think about it, I'll actually take English SL as it seems like it'll be less on my plate and I have the ability to do that. Thanks <_<

What you could do is start with 7 subjects for the first half of the year, see how you cope then possibly either drop a HL or drop a subject all together. I would recommend against doing 4 HLs with 7 subjects, just simply you don't want to be too overrun with school work. To be honest, I would take Maths, Chem and English at HL, and the rest of your subjects at SL. Most schools let you drop a 7th subject within IB1 and its really good to have that option if you get really stressed. However, if you are a good worker and don't let things get piled up, there is no reason you can't do 7 subjects.

Unfortunately, my school doesn't let me take me take more than 3 subjects in SL :(. Originally I was thinking of having SL/HL Physics instead of Music but, 3SL courses with all three IB sciences and HL math would have probably been very hard (especially since I'm not very good at Physics). Now I'm taking physics in summer school so that I have a (slightly) smaller workload.

well, I did 7- but I started one of my HLs in my sophomore year, so I did the exam for it in May. But, I have to say my junior year was hell. I really stupidly took five HLs (including the theater) and two SLs PLUS ToK, so I was just overwhelmed. I really recommend just sticking to six subjects. I wish I had, I would've had more of a life. You'll for sure have enough on your plate with six, plus you'll want to wipe CAS out as soon as possible.

Math and Physics are known to be two of the hardest IB subjects, if they aren't your thing (passion and grade wise), I'd definitely go for SL.

Your grades are good, so you're lucky- you might be able to base your choices off your interests rather than just your talent.

One good thing would be to research the differences between the HL and SL syllabuses.

Yeah, I think the way it is now, I have a lot of flexibility to switch HL and SL and all that!

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Edited by Soles

HL

SL

Thank you in advance.

Wow!!!! 7 IB subjects....you've got to be pretty dedicated. I'm just about coping with my subjects at the moment. HL: Maths, Chemistry, Physics. SL: History, English, Spanish.

History is not completely difficult, I guess it's more about memory and how you learn best, and I find that it's quite enjoyable. Chemistry is tough as a HL course...it was a big jump for me.

Hope that helped you to some extent, although the answers that people have given you already are far better. To sum up, if you think you can do it, do it. Have that inner self confidence! :P

Derek, might be that you took the 3 hardest IB courses at the HL level...anyway...

Taking 7 course is not as stressful as it sounds, especially if you keep in mind that the 7th counts for nothing in regard to your diploma. Physics for example is my 7th subject; I took it for fun, skipped a year of it so I could do it too. But it's the last class on my priority list if things start to stack up because it really doesn't mean anything if I get a 3 or if I get a 7 since SL's don't count for anything in US universities and it doesn't count towards my IB score.

I saw you could drop IB music down to normal because it has the same curriculum which sounds like a decent idea honestly. But if you don't want to do that you can always split up the SLs between IB1 and IB2 so you don't have them all stacked together.

HL

Math

Chemistry - If you can do HL math you can likely do HL chem rather easily so this won't be too much of a problem.

Biology

English

SL

History

French

Music

For IB1 you could take all 4 HLs+French+Music OR history. This would allow you to possibly test in 2 areas.

Then for IB2 you would be finishing your HLs and only have Music left for the SL.

This would stack 6 IB courses in your IB1 and 5 in IB2. I'd advise putting the easier of the SLs into IB2 since you'll have college on top of it all and you don't want an annoying SL class bugging you :hmmm:

Also for both biology and chemistry the first year is basically the same as SL so if stuff really starts going downhill REALLY quick with either class and you don't feel like you will make it through another year with all the other classes (HLs will get harder...) you can take the SL test in IB1. Doing this won't change a whole lot since the 4HL/2SL will change to 3HL/3SL. But universities will see you took SL chem/bio (if you do this) so I don't know how'd you want to do this. Of course you don't have to, was just trying to find you an "escape route" so to speak :P