How much difference is there between SL and HL?

stylusdef

I'm not sure about what's entailed in the syllabus changes... Our History teacher that to save our confusion, he wouldn't bother telling us, and would just wait to confuse next year's candidates...

At our school, the course is exactly the same for two semesters, and if you want to take HL, you enroll in an extra semester of History of the Americas, and write a third paper. Like Cam said, there really isn't much difference besides a bit of extra material, so if the subject interests you, you'd might as welll take it at Higher Level.

I switched from SL to HL history in Yr 13 (second year) and though the level required is the same, there's a huge extra amount of reading/content required. Paper 3 is your option topic and some school choose to do topics that overlap with the rest of the syllabus, but unfortunately, ours didn't so we're rushing through this whole new chunk of history that none of us know well. And the HI is worth less, and it's quite easy to score on it, but the skill level is the same. So if you're not worried about the extra content (not to mention the 3 essays in 2 and a half hours), it's not very different.

I'm not sure about 2010, but if it's anything like '09, HL is just more material. You don't have to take analysis to a higher level at HL (pun not intended), be held to a higher standard or anything. It's just that more topics are covered and thus you need to know more facts. IA counts for less (20% instead of 25%) and there's a Paper 3 on the IB Exam, which is 3 essays on the HL material.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HL is obviously the harder course, and there is more emphasis on facts and specific information.

As others have stated, HL and SL have different percentages regarding the Internal Assessment and examinations.

In HL, the IA counts for 20% and the exams are 80%.

In SL, the IA counts for 25% and the exams are 75%.

I hope that helps? And I am not sure about the new changes that are being made as I will be gone before 2010.

History Standard covers only 20th century history, so it's roughly half the syllabus of HL. HL also has one paper dedicated entirely to 19th century history. HL is broader and you get to see the roots of everything that happens in the 20th century.

The 2010 examinations, according to my teacher, are worse than they are now. It covers topics such as Arab-Israeli conflict (which is current) and Sicilian wars.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as far as for 2009 candidates, sl students dont have to write paper 3 (the regional questions) so the IA is worth i think 5 percent more. actually, i think theres no point on taking history sl, but thats just IMO. however, 2010 changes i am totally unaware of.

• 4 weeks later...

High level history and standard level history are essentially very similar. The main difference is that high level history has to do an extra exam paper at the end exams (paper three) wich is you option topic. This just means that higher level students have a bit more content to cover, mind history has so much content already this can sometimes be a bit of a set back. However, in our class our option (we havent started it yet though) overlaps with some of out other course work so it's not too much of a big deal.

The other main difference is that for standard level history students, the internal asssessment is worth more than it is worth for the higher level students. Therefore the main exams are worth less for them. Some people call this a disadvantage, I call this an advantage myself.

As for the differences in the 2008 syllabus, sorry i cant help you there. Our teacher is also refraining from confussing us. I hears a rumour though that they are adding an ancient history component.

Hope this helps

-soph x