7 Subjects? Need some help with choices!

dubyawhy

Hi there. I'm in IGCSE now and about to do IB next year...and we've begun our subject briefs. I'm quite determined to take 7 IB subjects, even though many here say I won't survive. However most would deem my HLs quite easy compared to most.

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance to any people that would have the patience and heart to answer these questions for me.

IB Diploma:

English A1 HL

Psychology HL/Geography HL/History HL (Haven't decided)

Psychology HL/Geography HL/History HL (Haven't decided)

ESS/Biology SL

Maths Studies SL/ Maths Methods SL (see below)

Mandarin Chinese B SL

In addition, I will take an IB Certificate online in either Economics HL or SL depending on what I take for math. If I take Studies, I will do Economics HL. If I do regular SL, I will do Economics SL. I'd like to know, in your opinion, if I could manage these subjects.

Here's a few things you might need to know:

-I am top of my class in mathematics, with straight A*s across the board in every test, and clear predicted A* for my finals. So, I'm assuming Maths Studies will be EXTREMELY easy for me. I want to take studies so I will manage well in my other subjects, AND because I'm unlikely to use maths in my future. Two people in my class will be taking Math HL in IB, and I have better grades in math than them.

-I got 100% in IGCSE mandarin second language exam. I am Singaporean, so I speak some Chinese at home. Mandarin B should be fairly manageable. A Chinese tutor is a possibility if Mandarin B gets too hard.

-I LOVE Geo and History, with predicted A*s in both. Though I'm considering psychology as well, as it seems very interesting and I LOVE the teacher for psych, and its EXTREMELY likely she'll be teaching me.

-Mum graduated with a Master's degree in Economics at an Ivy League university, and said that she would fully aid me through the online economics course whenever she can.

-I am going to IB Summer School at Stanford University this summer to help me prepare for IB.

-I've got A*s in 9 out of 10 IGCSEs right now, but basically what I'm trying to do for IB is fully focus on the humanities(social sciences), and try for 42+ by taking the easiest choices for the rest.

So if I could ask a few questions for you folks in IB, I would like to know:

Which is an easier course to get a 7? Biology SL or Environmental Systems and Societies SL?

Out of the 3, Psychology HL/Geography HL/History HL, which would be the best TWO for going on to International Relations or Political Science?

Out of the 3, Psychology HL/Geography HL/History HL, which 2 are the easiest to get a 7 in?

Exactly how much easier is Math Studies compared to Methods SL?

Could I manage Math Methods SL AND Economics HL?

Will I run into any complications when applying/during university if I take Math Studies? I'm going Law/International Relations/Political Science, but will fall back on something Economics-related if all 3 don't work out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance to any people that would have the patience and heart to answer these questions for me.

Edited by dubyawhy

I think that Bio and ESS would be equally easy to get a 7 in. Bio vs. ESS is up to you. It depends on if you are wanting to look at animals and humans vs. plants and water systems and food systems, etc. I don't think one would be more difficult than the other, but don't quote me on that because I know little about ESS. I would honestly prefer bio, but that is just a personal preference.

I would have to say that History and Geography would be the most important for International Relations or PS. Honestly, I don't see how geography and/pr psychology are necessary, but since I need to chose between the two, I would say Geography because it relates most to history. History is definitely one you need to take for international relations.

history is the hardest to get a 7 in. Psychology is considered a 'soft' IB course and is the easiest to get a 7 in.

you really need to take SL because of your abilities. Studies is a lot easier, but its also considered a 'soft' IB course and some colleges view it as the 'easy way out'. Honestly, because of your track record i would say go with HL, but since you aren't interested and also don't need it fr your college major, SL is a good idea.

Since Econ would be your 7th IB subject, I would honestly suggest you take it at SL, because if you took it at HL you would be taking 4 HL courses+ 7 IB courses (the two hard things the IBO recommends not to do). If you have your heart set on Econs HL, then switch geography of psychology down to SL, because honestly, they look irrelevant for international relations. I would even make geography/psychology your extra course, and make Econs your main one, but that is up to you.

Colleges will look at math SL more highly than studies. Also, since you say you would fall back on Econs, now I emphasize more that Econs shouldn't be your extra IB course, it should be one of your main one....

If I was to lay it out, I would finalize with this:

• English A1 HL
  • Mandarin Chinese B SL
  • Biology SL
  • Math SL
  • History HL
  • Economics HL
  • Extra IB course: Geography SL

In the end tho, the choice is yours. Just some suggestions

okay so here is what i think:

English A1 HL - you wont have any problems here

Mandarin Chinese B SL - well you are taking a 100% percent here so no problems here.

BIO vs ESS - I agree with julie, she has a point they are both equally challenging, but still a 7 in either one of them is easy to obtain. this is completely up to you.

GEO vs History vs Phsyc - well i'd say take History and Phsyc, because you are talking bout international relationships and political science. i'm sure phsyc will help you in managing these courses. because you'll be dealing with a lot of people, and you can make use of the skills you can learn from phsyc. you don't need geography as much as history, and since these two subjects are inter-related, then you are better off taking history it's more wide ranged, if you want to study International relations.

Eco - online certificate? well i'd say you should take it up as a subject in school so it can count in your diploma, eco is a subject that universities looking for political science and international relations will take into consideration, but it's not the most important, so taking it up in SL would be a good choice.

Math - about you complications, yes there might be. because if you want a good university then it's most likely to take it in SL - Studies is TOO easy for you cause of your IGCSE, and SL isn't going to be that hard because your syllabus in the IG system already helped you out.

I'd say take psychology online. it's also available in the website you stated, and btw it'll be better for you because it's a subject that is new to you (i presume) and the teacher you think is good can help you with it.

i assure you you will struggle in it A LOT, but you can manage. just keep focused, and you need to manage your time well according to who will be able to teach you that extra subject.

GOOD LUCK :P

Ok I suggest:

English A HL

Chinese B SL

History HL

Biology SL

Math HL

Economics HL (if that is offered at your school. otherwise just take Geography HL)

(if you take Geo HL, take extra Econs SL online)

Why Math HL?

1. You are capable of taking HL

2. Math St is not recommended. Some unis simply reject Math St students, for any course, without any further consideration. For instance, Uni of Toronto.

3. Math HL might be a prerequisite for an Econs course in uni, maybe for Law too, but not sure.

4. If you don't like it, you can drop to SL anytime you want.

Why Bio SL?

ESS is sometimes considered a soft subject. Biology is more useful anyway, IMO.

Why Hist&Econs HL?

Both are important for the courses you want to study in uni.

Geog and Psych are not that relevant but if you can't take Econs at school, go for Geog. Then take Econs SL as an extra subject or just forget about it.

Which is an easier course to get a 7? Bio SL or ESS SL?

It is very subjective. I don't know, though.

Out of the 3, Psych HL/Geog HL/Hist HL, which 2 are the easiest to get a 7 in?

Again, it is very subjective. I don't know, though.

Exactly how much easier is Math Studies compared to Methods SL?

Much much easier, there are many Methods SL topics that are not taught in Studies. I guess you can ace St exams without even studying but might not ace Methods SL exams even if you have studied really hard.

Could I manage Math Methods SL AND Econs HL?

Yes. But if you ask me whether you can manage Math Studies + Econs HL, you might not be able to. Why? FYI the Econs syllabus is going to change for your batch and it's going to be mathematical. I doubt your Math St background can help you cope with Econs HL.

Will I run into any complications when applying/during university if I take Math Studies?

Yes. I suggest you not to take it unless you really hate it and you suck at it and will never ever need Math at all in later stages of your life.

Look at those subjects I suggested. With that combination, you might be able to study at least IR, Law, History, Econs, Business and Math in uni. So you have a broader range of choices.