Investigating the effect of acid rain

nametaken

Hi,

Well once you’ve collected your samples from different areas, you could simply titrate them with an alkali to find their pH. But I guess that doesn’t really show the ‘effect on buildings’ so you could cut out equal sizes of marble chips, put them in the samples for a day, take them out and weigh the mass lost or reacted. I guess it all depends on the scope of your investigation.

Hope this was useful,

Hey guys!, :)

I just got this for my coursework on this subject, so I need your help to give me some ideas on how to start and get my head around this coursework :) While you're doing that, if I'm not asking too much, can you also give me some ideas on what Independent variables which could be used in the lab as well.

Many, many thanks in advance,guys!

NB: This would help other Chemists in the IB who has the same problem like I am. So, the "The more the merrier!"

:S:PXD

How would I go about designing an experiment concerning this?

Thanks.

Can you give me any ideas?

Thanks. :)

We're just designing right? So we only need to THINK on what to do first right? Hahaha.

Okay, so since the both you are doing the same experiment and probably asking the same questions..I merged the two topics into one.

I remember reading your post awhile ago, saying you have the concept of working it out. So instead of having people answering the same question twice..let them answer to both of you. :S

Okay, so since the both you are doing the same experiment and probably asking the same questions..I merged the two topics into one.

I remember reading your post awhile ago, saying you have the concept of working it out. So instead of having people answering the same question twice..let them answer to both of you. XD

That is true, but, my concept might be similar to that of Dereks, plus, our designs MUST NOT be similar...So either this will be who calls it first, or if you guys can give us different ideas, or in general, two different things for one forum... :S That is the reason why I made another one. Because if our chem. teach hadn't told us that our designs mustn't be identical, then I would gladly just watch the ideas build on Derek's forum instead...But thanks for doing all the trouble to merge it into one,Mahuta! :P

Do you guys know each other? Are you in the same school?

If you are, then just make sure you don't copy the same ideas. Though I strongly recommend you don't do the same one. It's risky.

That being said, if your teacher knows that you're doing the same one, then he should expect similar designs.

If you're not in the same school, then as long as yours isnt an exact copy of his (or the other way around), you're fine.

If you are, then just make sure you don't copy the same ideas. Though I strongly recommend you don't do the same one. It's risky.

That being said, if your teacher knows that you're doing the same one, then he should expect similar designs.

If you're not in the same school, then as long as yours isnt an exact copy of his (or the other way around), you're fine.

Apparently we do and we are. hahahaha! We're best mates, you see.

Well, that's one thing, and that's another thing...He told us we should have different designs, for if we did have similar designs, he won't accept it...

I am not that good with Chemistry, you see. I took Chemistry because I wanted to do better in it.

Yes to both questions. Our teacher simply gave us this to work with:

Investigate the effect of acid rain on building materials.

Dependent variable: Effect on material.

And we have to do just the design part of the experiment (not the full lab report yet).

Ok my question may seem a bit obvious but: which acid is most dominant in acid rain, Sulphuric acid or Nitric acid?

Sulfuric acid is the most dominant, but apparently Nitric acid is going to surpass it soon.

Source:

Acid rain

Is that because nowadays more and more people use cars/buses and other pollution producing vehicles?

Not really, factories play a big role in the formation of acid rain..so it's not only vehicles.

Here's a scientific explanation that made sense to me:

"And there are some very interesting changes, and I think important changes that are going on such that sulfur dioxide emissions have been declining since about 1970 or so and nitrogen oxides have been increasing. The 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act didn’t really call for a very large reduction in nitrogen oxide emissions. And so we predict, from our long term studies, that in about five years or so, nitric acid will be the dominant acid in acid rain instead of sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid has been the dominant acid, has been the one that all of the legislation has been focused on in terms of its reduction."

• Like 1

Not really, factories play a big role in the formation of acid rain..so it's not only vehicles.

Here's a scientific explanation that made sense to me:

"And there are some very interesting changes, and I think important changes that are going on such that sulfur dioxide emissions have been declining since about 1970 or so and nitrogen oxides have been increasing. The 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act didn’t really call for a very large reduction in nitrogen oxide emissions. And so we predict, from our long term studies, that in about five years or so, nitric acid will be the dominant acid in acid rain instead of sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid has been the dominant acid, has been the one that all of the legislation has been focused on in terms of its reduction."

I see...But as of the moment, Sulfuric Acid is the dominant acid from the two, yes? Since we are trying to lessen the pollution we have produced.

I would say so yes.

Though if their studies were accurate, I am probably wrong, because the article was written in 2005 and we're in 2011 right now..soo, yeah.

But for your experiment, just go with Sulfuric acid and mention this point in your introduction or something. Make sure you reference it. :S

I would say so yes.

Though if their studies were accurate, I am probably wrong, because the article was written in 2005 and we're in 2011 right now..soo, yeah.

But for your experiment, just go with Sulfuric acid and mention this point in your introduction or something. Make sure you reference it. :P

hmm...Yeah, I might as well do some researching on recent Acid Rain happenings to make it more liable and accurate. Thanks for the help Mahu~! :S

I have a question!!! I am also doing the same planning lab as described above. I would like to inquire as to the amount of detail required in our lab reports about the composition of the building materials used. Would it be beneficial to include specific formulas of chemicals used in the substances? What building materials should I use for the experiment anyways? I need enough information on these materials in order to write a detailed prediction and explanation of what might happen and why....