Investigating the effect of acid rain

nametaken

Hello everyone!

I am doing a practical related to Environmental Chemistry, specifically to the concentration of dissolved oxygen in water. My research question for the design of the practical is: How does the temperature affect the dissolved oxygen concentration in water samples ?

I have done the background information considering how oxygen level concentration affect in a different way to different animal and then I have talk about the effects of thermal pollution i( increases as solubility of oxygen decreases). My question is: How can i control my controlled variables: metabollic rate of fish and other microorganisms, pH , level of eutrophication solubility in water.

Another question that I need to ask is: when you do your method for collection of data, are you actually allowed to take information from internet as long as you reference it?

Thank you for any suggestions

Carlos

Does anyone know the outline of a lab experiment design??? A good detailed outline?

OH AND AND! ! ! Would 5.0 and 10.0 concentrations of Sulphuric Acid be appropriate???

And would this aim of mine suffice?

To investigate the effect of the different amount of concentrations on Limestone and Marble within 2 days and to test their durability.

Post by: Mahuta

Next time you want to add something, edit don't multi-post. :) Thanks

To answer your question:

Here are two links:

1)A general question about IAs in experimental sciences, there's a good detailed answer from Drake Glau:

Lab report advice

2)A detailed outline I posted about biology but with comment concerning all exp.sciences report. I specified it to biology that's where my focus is. But you may find it useful:

Writing a good IA report

• Like 1

AHH! What an impeccable timing! I have to check this out before I hit the sack. . .Thank you! ! ! . . .

is this aim ok?

Investigate the effect of different Sulphuric Acid concentrations on Limestone and Marble to determine their durability

:D

guys please reply asap! :P Because I want to confirm if this is good enough :D So while I am motivated to do some scientific work, I want to take advantage of it :P

Thanks you! :D

Yes that sounds good to me. Though put it as a RQ, for example:

How does the concentration of sulfuric acid affect the durability of limestone and marble structure? (though you if you could find another word for structure..change it :P)

YOTA! ! ! Arigatooo! :D I sure will!!! Time to get my Chemistry on! XD

I thought that carbonic acid would be the most common in acid rain seeing as CO2 is a greenhouse gas and there is an increasing amount of it. Perhaps it is not the most significant because of the low dissociation of hydrogen. I still think you should investigate further in to this rather than sulphuric acid, because even though this has a high level of dissociation, there would be a lot less in the atmosphere.

And in the wording of the topic, I would state it as:

Investigate the effect of the concentration of Sulphuric Acid upon the rate at which it dissolves Limestone and Marble.

PS: Perhaps pick one of limestone or marble?

I thought that carbonic acid would be the most common in acid rain seeing as CO2 is a greenhouse gas and there is an increasing amount of it. Perhaps it is not the most significant because of the low dissociation of hydrogen. I still think you should investigate further in to this rather than sulphuric acid, because even though this has a high level of dissociation, there would be a lot less in the atmosphere.

Investigate the effect of the concentration of Sulphuric Acid upon the rate at which it dissolves Limestone and Marble.

what do you mean by "upon the rate"? I just want to be sure :D

-----

And, the Controlled Variables are like for e.g. Limestone and Marble?

Interesting. I'll look into that.

what do you mean by "upon the rate"? I just want to be sure :D

-----

And, the Controlled Variables are like for e.g. Limestone and Marble?

Ok...do you know what a controlled variable is, Mark? In this experiment, a controlled variable is something which you would have to control so that it doesn't interfere with the outcome of the result.

for example the concentrations of the solutions? and the room temp?

what od the building materials then? Do they count or not?

The concentration of which solutions? Do you mean the acid? If you're planning to use two different acids then that's an independent variable (as you are controlling it). The temperature may be a controlled variable depending on your experimental method. And I don't know what you mean by, 'what od the building materials then? Do they count or not?'.

The concentration of which solutions? Do you mean the acid? If you're planning to use two different acids then that's an independent variable (as you are controlling it). The temperature may be a controlled variable depending on your experimental method. And I don't know what you mean by, 'what od the building materials then? Do they count or not?'.

Sulfuric Acid. I'm using just one, but with different concentrations. . . AHH! Will the volume of SUlfuric acid count? ? ?

I mean to say that, do they count as a controlled variable? The mass of the materials?

Sulfuric Acid. I'm using just one, but with different concentrations. . . AHH! Will the volume of SUlfuric acid count? ? ?

I mean to say that, do they count as a controlled variable? The mass of the materials?

I have no idea with volume...I'm sticking with just stating the concentration.

NO! The mass of the materials is not a controlled variable! :dash:

Ok :D Got it! How many are listen on your controlled?

lol! Hilarious emoticon! :lol:

How many are 'listed'? Well, so far I've got two encounting...:badmath:

mmK. Well, I'll be back again if I've got any more questions, for now, I have to work out on how the structure should be, because I don't trust the experiment sample sir has given us :P

I do think you could be on to something, considering the fact that it is more common than that of SUlfuric Acid since I've found a source that shows a table on their concentration plus their natural resources which we all know of, with that in mind, having decomposition more abundant than volcanic fumes/gases, I do think that Carbonic Acid in fact, should be used in this experiment.

But why use 1 when you could test 2! Right? ;) This just became a lot more interesting XD