Is the "sum" of my subjects "bad"?

stylusdef

HL: Swedish A1, English A2, Economics

SL: Biology, Math Studies, Spanish Ab Initio

Do you guys know if unis will have in mind that three of the courses I've chosen (Spanish Ab Initio, Economics and Math Studies) are all the "easiest/least demanding" of their groups?

The reason why I've chosen these subjects, however, is NOT because they are (according to many IB students) the least demanding. I chose them because they fit me the best! I think languages are easy to learn (sp ab initio) and I hate math :D (math studies). I was about to choose history instead of economics at first, but when I heard about the new syllabus, I sort of changed my mind. :D

Edited by stylusdef

Well it certainly depends on your future plans. If you plan on studying economics related stuff I strongly recommend taking at least math sl since at least the top universities normally want their econ students to have studied math at a reasonably demanding level. Unis certainly shouldn't regard A1&A2 hl combo as a weak one, since it is a bilingual combo.

deissi:

Well, according to many students that I have spoken to, including you :D , Economics involves less workload than for instance History and Psychology. Sorry, I did not really mean that Economics is easier, but that it requires less hours of reading and essay-writing. :D

Scade:

I don't plan on studying Economics later, so SL is not a "must-take" for me.

Edited by stylusdef

Well, according to many students that I have spoken to, including you :D , Economics involves less workload than for instance History and Psychology. Sorry, I did not really mean that Economics is easier, but that it requires less hours of reading and essay-writing. :)

Hehe, yes it's the easier one between History and Econ, but just look at all the group 3 possibilities on IBO's site. I'd say it's still on the "demanding side" :D . The fact that it's easier for us students doesn't mean that universities wouldn't like it - on the contrary, they have nothing against Economics!

Unis certainly shouldn't regard A1&A2 hl combo as a weak one, since it is a bilingual combo.

Haha I certainly hope you're right ! :)

Economics is definitely not the easiest and I think it is rather impressive to have taken it in HL. I mean we all have our individual likes and preference and I can tell you this - I would think that History and Psychology would be MUCH easier than Eco but that's just me of course :D

I think your combination looks very good. It gives you good options and taking A1 and A2 at HL is quiet respected (of course depending on the course). What future plans do you have or is thinking about (can be several if you haven't decided yet)?

Edited by Afterglow

HL: Swedish A1, English A2, Economics

SL: Biology, Math Studies, Spanish Ab Initio

Do you guys know if unis will have in mind that three of the courses I've chosen (Spanish Ab Initio, Economics and Math Studies) are all the "easiest/least demanding" of their groups?

The reason why I've chosen these subjects, however, is NOT because they are (according to many IB students) the least demanding. I chose them because they fit me the best! I think languages are easy to learn (sp ab initio) and I hate math :D (math studies). I was about to choose history instead of economics at first, but when I heard about the new syllabus, I sort of changed my mind. :)

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but if you chose languages because they are "easy to learn" and chose an easier math because you "hate math", and chose economics because it's "less work" then technically you are choosing them because they are the least demanding ;)

There is nothing wrong with doing that however. All your courses are great courses, and some of them aren't even that easy. Ab Initio courses are only easy if you have spoken that language before, they are primarily difficult for those who have never touched on the language and must learn how to speak with fluency, write, and listen, in 2 years.

I don't really know about econ or history being easier, certain persons find the first easier and others the second. Personally I find history rather easy, but there are those who don't. IMO history is a lot about understanding the correct way to answer to different questions (paper 1 technique and how to write an effective history essay) and then combining that into rather good knowledge of two or three areas. About econ I can't say since I'm not studying it, but I would expect it to include more the ability of grasping concepts and applying them. In the end you should take the one you enjoy more, since both are going to be hard if you aren't motivated.

And also, if I really would want to study economics at university level later on, I would be able to do that here in Sweden, even though I'm going to be in Math Studies! ;) That wouldn't limit my options here, because most unis just have some basic requirements, and after they have interviewed you, they just go for the overall score, as far as I know.

And also, if I really would want to study economics at university level later on, I would be able to do that here in Sweden, even though I'm going to be in Math Studies! ;) That wouldn't limit my options here, because most unis just have some basic requirements, and after they have interviewed you, they just go for the overall score, as far as I know.

Yeah I think so. I mean if you would compare the IB math courses with the swedish then the general equivalence is:

Studies --> A, B, C

SL --> A, B, C, D, E

HL --> A, B, C, D, E, F (+ uni level). I've heard this one is actually a bit useless here since no program actually require F and thus, math HL students if the will have to 'repeat' the math a bit if they take a course with more math, since no credit is given.

But um good luck! :D

Edited by Afterglow

• 4 years later...