[IA] Normally Distributed Data

darthtire

Hi guys,

I was just wondering when to know when the data you have collected experimentally is normally distributed. Is there a method that exists, to show whether it is in Gaussian Distribution?

EDIT: I have 4 groups , each with 5 trials -- if that helps at all

In my IA i want to use the t-test, however the condition is that the data has to be normally distributed, soo I don't know where to go

Thanks!

Yes I would have to agree with Desy about you thinking too much. You seem to be overlapping your HL maths too much with your science (unless of course your task was indeed to prove that the data obtained would be normally distributed, but I don’t see why your teacher would give such an assignment).

Even if you were to use the t-distribution you would need to convert the variance of the sample Sn2 into the unbiased estimator of the variance [(n/n-1) Sn2], the mean of the sample would be the same as the estimated mean and you would go from there to find the t value. (so long as you know the actual mean as well)

To answer your question of how you can tell whether the data follows a normal distribution, I don’t think you can as your data is discrete whereas the distribution is continuous, so I think it’s an issue of trial and error. Like finding a graph which fits all the points. So it would only be an assumption.

Edited by Keel

Unfortunately you cant do a t-test because it only works when there are two groups of trials involved, and even then you need at least 10 trials of each group. Don't try to over complicate your IA. Generally the mathematics needed for IAs should be capable by someone studying Maths studies so don't over-think it and ask your teacher how much mathematical analysis you really need.